The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 225 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Pope says family promotes peace

The Pope says the family is the "primary agency of peace"
Pope Benedict XVI has described family values as the foundation of world peace in his New Year's Day Mass.
"The family is the first and indispensable teacher of peace," the Pope told worshippers at St Peter's Square in Rome.

The pontiff said that "whoever, even unknowingly, circumvents the institution of the family undermines peace in the entire community".

Pope Benedict has made defending the traditional family a priority.

The Vatican opposes granting legal recognition to gay and unwed couples, though the Pope did not touch on such controversies directly in his New Year prayer on Tuesday.

"Everything that serves to weaken the family based on the marriage of a man and a woman... constitutes an objective obstacle on the road to peace," he said.

His message followed a pro-family rally by hundreds of thousands of Spanish Catholics on Sunday, which he had addressed via a video link.

His New Year prayer included a plea for renewed global efforts to dismantle nuclear weapons and curb the arms trade.

www.bbcnews.com [bbcnews.com]

F
F
A lovely thought. But there are many who have a negative experience of family life.

Fr. Serge

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
A lovely thought. But there are many who have a negative experience of family life.

Fr. Serge

Oh, absolutely--but in another article I saw that he spoke against the 'trivialization of sexuality' and in another against 'same sex unions' (they may have been mentioned the same day, but I saw them in different news 'blurbs')...so, therefore, I am inclined to believe that he had all this in mind when he extolled the traditional family.

Not many things are singularly positive. As a parent of 5 I can see that family life as it is lived out today (TVs in bedrooms, video games of every imaginable variety, text messaging, toys spilling out of closets) is hardly conducive to much beyond high electrical and therapy bills. The authentic family life he is speaking of I take as a call for a return to the strong family unit.

Exactly!

Oh yeah he didnt live in my familiy lol!
Stephanos I

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Stephanos I
Oh yeah he didnt live in my familiy lol!
Stephanos I

LOL! laugh

Originally Posted by Alice
[u]
Pope Benedict has made defending the traditional family a priority.

More on the family as the building block of society in Pope Benedict's (then Cardinal Ratzinger's) Values in a Time of Upheaval:

"Monogamous marriage, as the basic structure for the relationship between a man and a woman and as the cell for the construction of civic society, has been formed by biblical faith. It has given Europe--East and West--its specific 'face' and its specifically human character, precisely because one must struggle again and again to realize the form of fidelity and of renunciation that monogamous marriage by its very nature requires. Europe would cease to be Europe if this basic cell of its social construction were to disappear or to be changed in its essence...if [marriage] becomes increasingly detached from legal forms, while at the same time homosexual partnerships are increasingly viewed as equal in rank to marriage, we are on the verge of a dissolution of our concept of man, and the consequences can only be extremely grave" (148).

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.