The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
If Jack Chick has not harmed anyone, it certainly is not for lack of trying!

Fr. Serge

LOL! True enough!

Of course, one wonders why Jesus never has a human face in any Jack Chick cartoon. Latent Baptist Docetism, perhaps?

[Linked Image]

Gordo

R
OrthoDixieBoy
OrthoDixieBoy
R
Gordo,

I have not looked at a "Chick Tract" in years. The last time I even saw one was in a public restroom. I promptly snatched it up and trashed it. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! The emotional memories that particular page you posted dredges up! I don't recall exactly which tract that page is from, but I certainly do remember it. Strangely, even as a kid (and Baptist!) the faceless Jesus really really bothered me. It seems clear to me that Jack Chick is not a docetist though. Rather, the statement he is making by this faceless Jesus is that he believes Jesus is SOOOOOOO angry at the sins of the wicked that he cannot allow his humanity to get in the way of his eternal justice...otherwise...he might be inclined to have...mercy? Now THERE's an original thought! A heresy if there ever was one! A MERCIFUL GOD! Good heavens what is this world coming to?

Nevertheless, I hope even the old slanderer Jack Chick himself, receives unexpected mercy on that day.

Jason

Z
Z
ACTUALLY, Jack Chick does show Jesus with a face.

Several of his tracts display Jesus's li eon Earth and show a very human Jesus face.

The image above, which is from his latest tract which links he Passover to Jesus ressureciton, and is Entitled "Poor Little Lamb", features an image of a faceless Jesus that is suppose to show him as God. The reason for the facelessness is a mystery, but I doubt its DOcetism or a lakc of Humanity.Jack Chick thinks he is displaying a merciful Jesus.

I think it has more to do with it also being the image he uses for God, and that we don't know what God looks like.

Last edited by ZAROVE; 01/17/08 04:40 PM. Reason: Minor revision.
Z
Z
Also, Jack Chick uses the same images in dozens of tracts. Often exaclty the same picutre...so, the above may be found in earlier tracts. Minus the words. (Well, Mathew 25:41 woudl still be there...)

J
J
I remember about 10 years ago that public opinion regarding equal rights for homosexuals was only slightly more favorable in Canada than it was in the USA. The gay rights activists were demanding all kinds of rights which according to public opinion polls the majority of Canadians were not in favor of. In fact, the Canadian parliament was scheduled to vote on legislature granting gays the right to marry and other anti-discrimenation laws and nobody thought they would pass. There just simply were not enought parliamentarians who were willing to vote favorably on the gay rights agenda. The gay rights agenda was very divisive and it was assumed unlikely to pass in Parliament. Certainly the Conservative Party was opposed to the legislature and even the Liberals were divided on these social issues.

About two week before parliament was to vote on the legislature a USA preacher by the name of 'Phelps' arrived on Parliament Hill in Ottawa and began protesting. His followers had signs that said things like "God hates fags", "Gays burn in Hell", "God gives fags AIDS because he hates them", and many other nice things. The 20 or so Phelps protesters came to Parliament Hill every day until the federal government was to vote on the gay rights agenda legislature.

Canadians were so outraged with what they saw every night on their newscasts that it was no surprise that the Federal government voted sweeping legislation through Parliament granting the gay activists everything they had wanted - most notably the right to marry. Most pundits agreed that the Reverend Phelps and his followers exposed Canadians to the hatred that many Christians (particularly in the USA) have towards homosexuals. In Canada there is no tolerance for the open hatred of it's citizens.

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 01/18/08 12:03 AM.
R
OrthoDixieBoy
OrthoDixieBoy
R
We need a crying emoticon.

Jason

R
R
Most pundits agreed that the Reverend Phelps and his followers exposed Canadians to the hatred that many Christians (particularly in the USA) have towards homosexuals.
I think you mean Rev. Fred W. Phelps, Sr. of the Westboro Baptist Church. I know of of no one, (repeat: no one) that agrees with him. The "20 or so Phelps protesters" are probably the only followers he has. He started protesting at US soldier's funerals and a motorcycle club was formed to follow Phelps and his crew to keep them away from any military funerals. Phelps exposes only his own hatred and no one elses. He speaks only for himself and no other American that I know of.

(By the way, check out 'wikiepedia' for an interesting read on this . . . individual.)

I believe Phelps represents the views of most evangelical christians in the United States. He is just more rude and crude in his presentation. Im sure he would say he hates the sin and loves the sinner.

Last edited by dwight; 01/18/08 01:40 AM.
I first heard of Phelps when he and his church disrupted Matthew Shephards funeral. No one seemed to have any objections to their antics until they started disrupting military funerals.

R
R
No one seemed to have any objections to their antics until they started disrupting military funerals.
Dwight, you shouldn't make sweeping statements like that.

I know some of these "Evangelical Christians" and they hate him worse than anyone simply because he's usually associated with them. If you didn't hear about Phelps until he disrupted the Matthew Shepard funeral, you've missed a lot of the good parts.

The 'Patriot Guard Riders' were formed in August of 2005 and Fred has been creating havoc long before that. That was only when the major media discovered him and found he could make good copy for their newspapers. Before that, he usually only made regional news.

A
A
Originally Posted by Jean Francois
The 20 or so Phelps protesters came to Parliament Hill every day until the federal government was to vote on the gay rights agenda legislature.

I seem to recall that most of his "church members" are his family members...

I've seen Phelps protestors coming to the Midwest Catholic Conference here in Wichita couple years ago. FREAKS!!!

A
A
On the bright side, if the errant weren't protesting us, we would be doing something dreadfully wrong.

A
A
I found once a Chick tract that was directed against Marian devotion. There was a scene in heaven where the BVM was standing before the awesome judgement seat making clear to the Lord that she never told people to worship her...

So there was the Mother of God standing before God, knowing what was going on on earth, and talking to God about it...

Oh the irony.

A
AMM Offline
A
Hopefully her intercession saved those seeking her intercession who shouldn't have been.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.