The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 252 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#274423 01/22/08 02:39 AM
OP Offline
I've noticed recently that most priests of the Byzantine-Slavic variety use a footed paten (diskos)

[Linked Image]

while those of the Byzantine-Greek variety use patens without a foot as is done in the Latin Rite.

[Linked Image]

My copy of Attwater's A Catholic Dictionary says that the Ukrainian Catholics use the 'Greek paten', though this seems to be a 'mixed bag' these days.

So my questions are these, 1.) does anyone know how these two styles of patens developed, 2.) why there is this difference among those who use the Byzantine Rite, and 3.) which do the Melkites use?

I have never seen a flat diskos used anywhere, either in Slavic, Arabic, or Byzantine usage.

Alexandr

F
F
Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
I have never seen a flat diskos used anywhere, either in Slavic, Arabic, or Byzantine usage.

Alexandr
Dear Alexandr,

I was surpised to see a footless diskarion used at the Liturgies in Aghiou Pavlou Monastery on Mount Athos when I was there 10 years ago.

Fr David Straut

Wow, that is odd. I have served at both the Prophet Elias Skete and at Chilandar, and a footed diskarion was used at both. And at Zoographou and Great Lavra, a footed diskarion was brought out at the Enterance.

Alexandr

M
M
We use the flat diskos in our Melkite churches. I have seen one or two raised ones, but the majority appears to be flat.

O
O
We have a flat one in Edinburgh - but in Lourdes they have both , but the one with a stem/foot is used every day smile [ well it belongs to a Chalice set brought from Ukraine ]

F
Administrator
Administrator
F
We have both footed and flat diskoi in my Melkite parish. The main diskos is footed, but the number of communicants is such that we need more than one, and the flat diskoi hold more and are easier to handle. Since the Slavic tradition is to place the Eucharistic bread into the poterion prior to communion the footed diskos makes sense while, in the Melkite tradition, larger communities may tend to use the flat ones.

Fr. Deacon Ed

D
D
I assume that ours is footed, as we have the piece above it. But quite honestly, even standing at the altar week after week, I've never noticed the feet or lack thereof!

Diskoi without foots are quite common among Greek Catholics of all stripes. My guess is most Greek Catholics bought from Catholic liturgical suppliers who more often had diskoi/patens of the unfooted variety. An unfortunate consequence of this is the non-use of the little veil for because they are almost universally made with a footed diskos in mind and are therefore too long to be used with an unfooted one. I see no reson why it should matter if a diskos is footed or unfooted or why a veil could not be made to fit an unfooted one. I will say that an unfooted diskos is easier to hold while distributing Communion, for those that prefer to use this in conjunction with a lention rather than just the lention alone.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
C
C
One can find many examples, both in old monasteries and in museums, of ancient Byzantine diskoi that are "footless." I am reminded of a great photo in one of my favorite issues of National Geographic from January 1964. This edition includes a great story on Mount Sinai and St. Catherine's Monastery. The photo shows the Great Entrance, with the deacon carrying a footless diskos with a large metal cover instead of a cloth one.

The fact that the Byzantine is the only liturgical tradition in the Christian world that uses footed diskoi (and even then, as has been mentioned, not universally) suggests that the foot is a later, albeit very practical, addition. I'd also say that the rubric specifying that the deacon should carry the diskos *on* his head during the Great Entrance almost presupposes a flat diskos--and the iconography of the "Heavenly Liturgy" found in many Byzantine churches actually shows an angel in deacon's vestments doing exactly this, with a footless paten.

Dave

Last edited by Chtec; 01/24/08 02:19 AM.
OP Offline
Very interesting! Thanks for the info!

D
D
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
Diskoi without foots are quite common among Greek Catholics of all stripes.
[\quote]

I'll keep my eyes out tomorrow (while my poor wife has the 10 year old twins and three girls belonging to friends by herself and Sarah sings in the back ['manda will be in California with their brother/her boyfriend and parents]).

[quote]
I will say that an unfooted diskos is easier to hold while distributing Communion, for those that prefer to use this in conjunction with a lention rather than just the lention alone.

err, why (or how) would the diskos be used during Communion in a Byzantine Catholic church? confused

D
D
Our paten has a "monopod" (though perhaps there is a formal name for it); it is on a base similar to (and apparently matching) the chalice.

hawk

err, why (or how) would the diskos be used during Communion in a Byzantine Catholic church?

It is held between the fingers with the same hand that holds the chalice and is used just as the lention would be to catch the Holy Gifts if dropped. Sometimes a deacon or server will hold hold it for the priest and this is prescribed in the Ordo.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
F
F
N. B. This use of the discarion is peculiar to those who follow the Ruthenian service-books - and is a blatant imitation of the Roman "communion paten".

Fr. Serge

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.