The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 326 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
F
I don't use a Christmas tree - my house is shared with two cats and a dog, so putting up a Christmas tree would be asking for trouble. But I still have one or two antique tree ornaments which are family heirlooms.

Fr. Serge

B
B
I know a lady in her mid 90s who keeps a tree up year round. She says it reminds her of the coming of Christ throughout the year. Not a bad thought. However, in my case, I can be extremely slow in getting around to doing things, especially if they are not endangering anyone. So I will take the tree down - actually it folds, decorations and all, and fits back in the box - by the beginning of Lent. Then if I should forget for a few more days, I can say I am using the old calendar. wink Why all the fuss about trees? Have some chocolate and mellow out. wink

F
F
Originally Posted by byzanTN
I know a lady in her mid 90s who keeps a tree up year round. She says it reminds her of the coming of Christ throughout the year.

Oh, so that's why she says she does it? Now there's a lady who doesn't fool me. I'm a born procrastinator. Perhaps it takes une to know one! smile

Fr David Straut

Bless, Father Archimandrite,

How do your cats get along with the dog?

I've always wanted to introduce a cat, and wanted one (or two) for Christmas, but . . . no . . . sniff . . .

Alex

In fact, the Coptic calendar celebrates the feast of Christmas/the Nativity of our Lord on the 25th of every month, except during Lent.

Alex

Will probably be up until Feb 15th - may not be too many needles left on ol' Yalynka by then.

F
F
Shanty Irish? - We had lace before you had curtains!

Fr. Serge

F
F
Dear Alex,

The cats are doing fine. Murf (the dog) occasionally barks at one or the other - but then, he's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who thinks he is a rottweiler but in fact is a coward (we love him anyway).

Our previous dog, Rusty, was convinced that he was a cat himself, which both betokened and caused confusion. The vet says that such a delusion is fairly frequent in a dog who was raised without any other dogs around but with some cats about - since there is an endless supply of cats in this neighborhood (I'm not complaining; the cats keep other things away!).

Fr. Serge

Bless, Father Serge!

Well, my dog gets "pussed off" whenever he sees a cat and we've had to foster our strays in the basement, away from him.

Good for you to have those creatures of God about! Just another reason to adore you (no reference to "latria" though . . .).

Alex

F
F
Both the dog and the felines seem well behaved today, I am pleased to report!

Fr. Serge

Bless, Father Archimandrite!

Fur sure!!

And there was a thread where I did give the website address of Bila Krinitsa - just don't remember where it is now.

Alex

Not an Old Calendrist, but I still have mine up. In the Spanish culture it's considered alright to keep the decorations up long past Christmas, provided they come down by Candlemas.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

U
OP Offline
U
Exactly, why not! Although the Byzantine Catholic Churches are already into the pre-Lent season, I also extend the Christmas season until Feb 2nd!

Ung

As I drove away alas I had not taken mine down and most probably it will still be up when I return just pripr to Holy Week.
Stephanos I

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.