The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Vigilante, Poliscifi, The Cub, P H, Hardrada
5603 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (P H), 81 guests, and 458 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,737
Posts411,934
Members5,603
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Metropolitan Basil Lenten letter to the faithful #276873 02/04/08 09:01 PM
L
lcanthony Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Did anybody get a glimpse of the Metropolitan's Lenten letter. One of the things we are supposed to give up for the Great Fast is criticism of the church. What do you think he means by that????

Re: Metropolitan Basil Lenten letter to the faithful [Re: lcanthony] #276874 02/04/08 09:18 PM
S
Stephanie Kotyuh Offline
S
Rescind the RDL and we won't have anything to complain about.

Re: Metropolitan Basil Lenten letter to the faithful [Re: lcanthony] #276876 02/04/08 09:26 PM
Anna Offline
It says "criticism in the Church"...Here's the exact quote: "Let us fast from falsehood, criticism and gossip in the Church, the family, the workplace and even among friends, because they can destroy people's lives."

Re: Metropolitan Basil Lenten letter to the faithful [Re: Anna] #276909 02/04/08 11:39 PM
Administrator Offline
John
John
Metropolitan Basil's letter is quite good. I don't think one can read anything into it beyond what he wrote (but one can certainly pick up the phone and call him if he is curious). It seems to me that he is speaking equally about "the Church, the family, the workplace and even among friends" and that "falsehood, criticism and gossip" in any of these places can "destroy people's lives". In these ongoing discussions of the Revised Divine Liturgy most of the criticisms given (on both sides) have been given with thought and with charity. Some of it (on both sides) has not been thoughtful or charitable. Even when we disagree we should strive to do so in a way that builds up one another because that is the way to build up the Church. Should we get to the point where our lives are filled with criticism, and criticism (even of what is wrong) is the center of our lives, then it is time to stop, and maybe even walk away.

I'd say that everyone should spend time contemplating the Met's pastoral letter for the Great Fast. There is quite a bit of wisdom there.

Metropolitan Basil does not have an easy job in pastoring his Church. I ask that each of us make a commitment to pray for the Ruthenian bishops - Basil, William, John and Gerald - each day from now until Pascha.

Re: Metropolitan Basil Lenten letter to the faithful [Re: lcanthony] #276995 02/05/08 02:47 PM
Monomakh Offline
Originally Posted by lcanthony
Did anybody get a glimpse of the Metropolitan's Lenten letter. One of the things we are supposed to give up for the Great Fast is criticism of the church. What do you think he means by that????

I'm on the Julian caldendar now, so I can still criticize for a few more weeks I guess. biggrin

I'll ask again as I have before, what is the plan for the BCA to evangelize and grow? It's still ashame to see that money and time was spent on revising rather than evangelizing.

Monomakh

Re: Metropolitan Basil Lenten letter to the faithful [Re: Monomakh] #277015 02/05/08 04:10 PM
Recluse Offline
Originally Posted by Monomakh
It's still ashame to see that money and time was spent on revising rather than evangelizing.

Yes. That was unfortunate. And then what happens if Rome rescinds the RDL? Do they get a refund? shocked

Re: Metropolitan Basil Lenten letter to the faithful [Re: lcanthony] #277020 02/05/08 04:21 PM
Steve Petach Offline
Cantor
Cantor
Any particular reason this topic is posted in the RDL forum rather than a general interest forum, such as "Faith & Worship", or "Parish Life and Evangelisation"?

Re: Metropolitan Basil Lenten letter to the faithful [Re: Steve Petach] #277028 02/05/08 04:43 PM
P
pilgrimcantor Offline
P
RE: Administrator...Thanks for your wisdom!
We all need to be reminded to pray, especially in this time of the Great Fast. At every liturgy we pray for our Metropolitan and Bishops. Have we become so caught up in the "ritual" that wwe have forgotten the meaning of the prayers? Let us pray, for our "God loving bishops...Basil,William, John, and Gerald..."
--and, during this time of preparation, let us try to contemplate the many blessings we have, give thanks for them, and trust that the Good Lord does know what he's doing.

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.