The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Ioannes Errikos, Deacon Christopher, Eldho Kuriakose, Nixon, SHolmes
5633 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 208 guests, and 152 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Byzantine Nebraska
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,819
Posts412,383
Members5,633
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: EdHash] #277657 02/09/08 01:55 PM
D
Dandelion Offline
BANNED
BANNED
D
Can anyone be sure that the monks didn't pray for the women to jump the fence, and to come up there for a visit? smile

maybe the women were answering someone's prayer up there on the mt.
Deanna

Last edited by Dandelion; 02/09/08 01:59 PM.
Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Dandelion] #277661 02/09/08 02:14 PM
Father Anthony Offline
Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted by Dandelion
Can anyone be sure that the monks didn't pray for the women to jump the fence, and to come up there for a visit? smile

maybe the women were answering someone's prayer up there on the mt.
Deanna

I find the above comment to be insulting and demeaning to those that are in the consecrated life. To suggest that there are those are praying to enter into sin, and that God would grant favor to such is absolutely mind-boggling. The above comment definitely shows an ignorance and lack of respect to the life of the church and faith.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Father Anthony] #277662 02/09/08 02:20 PM
D
Dandelion Offline
BANNED
BANNED
D
What do you mean by entering into sin? from a visit?

What is more sinful? those who have a sinful act in their mind about something
that intended innocently? or the act itself?

and if God didn't want it to happen, it wouldn't!
Deanna

quote; (The above comment definitely shows an ignorance and lack of respect to the life of the church and faith.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+ )

Last edited by Dandelion; 02/09/08 02:24 PM.
Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Dandelion] #277663 02/09/08 02:25 PM
Father Anthony Offline
Administrator
Administrator
Maybe before offering your flippant and of the cuff remarks, you should learn that sin comes in a variety of ways. Temptation is just as much a sin as committing the sin in itself.

I find your post on this thread to show a definite ignorance in regards to the traditions and faith that are revered by many, and that your flippant remarks to be offensive and distasteful. Maybe before offering such remarks you should research and find out why such a way of life is carried out instead of demeaning and ridiculing it.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Dandelion] #277664 02/09/08 02:26 PM
Alice Offline
Dear Deanna,

With all due respect, I think that you are pushing this a little too much.

I am a woman, and I am not an 'old fuddy duddy' either, and I have and always had utmost respect and understanding for this prohibition...just as I understand why I need to cover my hair with a headscarf and cover up from head to toe when visiting an all male monastery which allow visitors outside of Mt. Athos...

Please try to be more respectful and sensitive, and less 'politically correct' in this matter.

Thank you,
Alice, Moderator

Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Father Anthony] #277665 02/09/08 02:27 PM
E
EdHash Offline
E
Father Anthony,

To use a popular phrase feminists have tauted, "They just don't get it". Aside from not giving *respect* (another popular word used ad nauseum over the years by disgruntled women against men) for the Athonite tradition of this all-male monastic community, there is the law. That they would rather pubically protest as they did rather than challenge the monastics with their claim in the Greek legal system reflects who they really are.

I find Deanna's comments insulting.

I am for fair and equal treatment for all people, men and women. I am not in favor of such protests outside the legal system. I did not read anywhere that the Greek legal system refuses to hear their case. I just read that there is undeveloped land.

The monks of Athos gain my respect, not the sisterhood of illegal protests and the need to push the envelope. Can you imagine what the Muslims would do to women if they did such a thing?

Ed

Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Father Anthony] #277666 02/09/08 02:28 PM
D
Dandelion Offline
BANNED
BANNED
D
do you mean to tell me that if a woman is in the presence of a monk, the temptation between a man & woman are considered sinful?

in what ways?

Thank You for your comments and labeling my IQ
and God Bless You smile

again I repeat that I do respect their way of life, but why is the answer is always one way....since the begining of time

Deanna

Last edited by Dandelion; 02/09/08 02:35 PM.
Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: EdHash] #277667 02/09/08 02:31 PM
Alice Offline
All, as far as 'undeveloped land' in Greece, this is an all together different topic, and one which is far too complicated to address here...many wildfires which have destroyed homes, forests, the ecosystem (do you know how hard it is to grow a forest in the arid climate of Greece?) and livelihoods in Greece, are started by arsonists hoping to develop on the land they have burned...
these ladies, besides being blatantly disrespectful, are also hoping to be opportunists.

Alice

P.S. to Deanna:

again I repeat that I do respect their way of life, but why is the answer is always one way....since the begining of time

Because that is the way God made us! He made us differently, "from the beginning of time", so all I can say is to take it up with Him! wink

Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Dandelion] #277668 02/09/08 02:36 PM
E
EdHash Offline
E
do you mean to tell me that if a woman is in the presence of a monk, the temptation between a man & woman are considered sinful?

Dandelion,

There is a tradition on Athos of it being all male. What is it about this tradition that you don't get?

The topic was about disputed land ownership. Why did a group of women have to climb a fence? Fences on borders of property are there for a reason. What they did was TRESPASS. Do you commend them for taking their claim outside the legal system and then trespass on other's property? What point are you trying to make here? Communities, albeit religious ones, can and DO make up their own rules. Even women have all-female rules under their roof. Would you recommend that any disgruntled man or group of men climb into their compound?

Ed

Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Dandelion] #277669 02/09/08 02:36 PM
Father Anthony Offline
Administrator
Administrator
Stop twisting and playing word games here. You know perfectly what was meant. But your absolute lack of respect and reverence is definitely evident.

You have been demeaning this monastic republic and institution with your posts for the past day. You show a complete lack on understanding regarding this and then you try to play dumb. I and others are not buying it.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Alice] #277670 02/09/08 02:37 PM
D
Dandelion Offline
BANNED
BANNED
D
you are judging me.....without understanding my reasons

Sister Alice in Christ

ps. would you be so king and explain to me
what "Orthodoxy" actually is.

God Bless,

Deanna

Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Alice] #277671 02/09/08 02:39 PM
E
EdHash Offline
E
Originally Posted by Alice
All, as far as 'undeveloped land' in Greece, this is an all together different topic, and one which is far too complicated to address here...

Dear Alice,

There are two separate issues at stake. If the land issue WAS the real reason then the women should have taken it to their legal system. The second issue IS the women climbing the fence to make an Oprah sisterhood point. One can conclude that the sisters were using the land issue dispute to make their point.

Ed

Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Dandelion] #277672 02/09/08 02:39 PM
Father Anthony Offline
Administrator
Administrator
you are judging me.....without understanding my reasons

Oh, so now we are going to play the "martyr" card?

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: EdHash] #277673 02/09/08 02:41 PM
Alice Offline
Originally Posted by EdHash
Originally Posted by Alice
All, as far as 'undeveloped land' in Greece, this is an all together different topic, and one which is far too complicated to address here...

Dear Alice,

There are two separate issues at stake. If the land issue WAS the real reason then the women should have taken it to their legal system. The second issue IS the women climbing the fence to make an Oprah sisterhood point. One can conclude that the sisters were using the land issue dispute to make their point.

Ed

Indeed and agreed. Alice

Re: Greek women enter male-only Mount Athos community [Re: Father Anthony] #277674 02/09/08 02:41 PM
D
Dandelion Offline
BANNED
BANNED
D
that is your opinion,
I do have a respect for the monastic,

what I am trying to understand is why do you
think, or by the religious that it is sinful between a man and a woman?

I am not buying your opinion either

Love You,

Deanna

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.