The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
E
The website mentions--- Morning Office=Utiereň --- for the new cathedral church. Is this different from the RDL? Will i find this in my books?

I went to the Bratislava parish/cathedral website and am listening to their choir. I feel like I am in heaven.

Ed

Ed,

That is Matins and not the Divine Liturgy. Matins, along with Vespers are the hinge pins of the liturgical day. Sadly, most Byzantine Catholic churches in the USA celebrate neither. And no, Matins would not be in the new pew book.

John

V
V
Mnohaja i blahaja lita. God grant us many years.

V
V
At basic I allways using member of Byzantin because at short form show rite

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by andreios
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
Beautiful Church - lovely icons - joyful choir.

But I'm a tad puzzled - how come the same people are "Greek Catholics" in Slovak but "Byzantine Catholics" in English?

Fr. Serge
Thanks. The reason is that in English is preferred the term Byzantine Catholic (cfr. byzcath.org and not greekcath.org) - and I think, this is the official term too. If you say Greek Catholic in English, someone could think ethnically Greek. While in Slovak "greckokatol�cky" is officially used and no one would think on Greece. Though, more and more is used "katol�ci byzantsk�ho obradu" or "katol�ci byzantsko-slovansk�ho obradu" in contemporary Slovak. But as an one-word adjective there is only "gr�ckokatol�cky" (and not "byzantskokatol�cky").

The reason is complex and centers around history in the USA. I don't want to chance going off topic on this.

J
J
What does the establishment of the new Slovak Metropolia mean? Does Pre�ov ( with 137,000 members) now outrank its mother diocese Muka?evo (370,000, according to the Annuario Pontificio for 2007) ?

Will Muka?evo be the next Metropolitan Church?

John Schweich

A
A
Changed the date of the feast of the elevation of the Exarchate of Ko�ice to the Eparchy of Ko�ice. It will be celebrated in the Cathedral Church of the Nativity of Mother of God in Ko�ice on Monday February 18th 2008. So there are three big celebrations day after day.

http://www.grkat.nfo.sk/eng/metropolitan-church.html

A
A
Anyone ho desires to see the Sunday celebration, could see it on line in Slovak television - http://www.stv.sk/live/?2 - on Sunday 17th February, beginning at 10:00 a.m. local time (9:00 a.m. GMT, should be at 4:00 a.m. EST, 3:00 a.m. CST, 2:00 a.m. MST, 1:00 a.m. PST, if I counted well). The transmission should will take 2 hours.

John,

The Metropolitan Archbishop of Presov outranks the Bishop of Mukacevo, but Mukachevo is not part of the Metropolia, so it won't have much effect, except for when the Bishops are together. (Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This is similar to the daughter Church in America "outranking" (with regard to hierarchy) the mother Church in Europe....now the daughter Church in Slovakia "outranks" the Mother Church in Transcarpathia. The Ukrainian Catholic Church would be the potential "limiting" factor for the Mukacevo eparchy (from additional eparchies and thus a Metropolia.)

I hope this answers your question.

Fr. Deacon Paul

H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
H
It might be nice if one of these were elevated to a Major-Metropolitan. Then put all the others, including Pittsburgh, under it. There is strength in numbers.

Then perhaps put the Major-Metropolitan under Antioch of the Melkites, where they can count on receiving good impartial governance and guidance. There is no reason to have Roma choosing and elevating bishops when there is a perfectly good Eastern church structure to do it.

Just a thought.

Michael

F
F
Pictures from the Episcopal chirotonia of Bishop Peter (Rusnak), Eparch of Bratislava: http://foto.tkkbs.sk/viewer.php?album=albums/2008/02/16_POVysviacka&pn=1

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Father Valerian,

Bless, Father. Thank you for the link - wonderful pictures. May God grant many years to Vladyka Peter. Eis polla aeti Despota!

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
U
U
I thought Roman Bishops weren't suppose to dress in Eastern vestments? Why did Cardinal Tomko wear his Roman Choir dress, then place a Byzantine short omorphor over this choir attire? I'm sure those in the Orthodox Church are wondering about this practice!

Ung

F
F
Dear Ung-Certez:

Cardinal Jozef Tomko (Roman Catholic hierarch, former prefect of Propaganda Fide) was the main celebrant... "ALL" vested in Byzantine vestments. He repeated 1990...when he was the principal celebrant for the chirotonia of Bishop Jan Hirka.The cardinal with the small omophorion is Cardinal Sandri, prefect of the Congregation for Eastern Churches. I wonder about this practice...

U
U
Fr. Valerian,

Slava Isusu Christu!

I thought this practice was suppose to end?

Ung

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.