The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Paderau, Chaplainjosephg66, JamesOrange, elisha, Samuil
5,977 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 221 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,385
Posts416,710
Members5,977
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#279363 02/19/08 07:32 PM
OP Offline
If anyone else from the Chicago-area is interested, I'd like to get one (or two) and we can save on shipping!

Link to RSV-CE [amazon.com]

You can still get free shipping by purchasing just one copy ...but are you sure this is the edition you want (zipper cover)?

You might like one of these editions better:

http://www.allcatholicbooks.com/Mer...p;Product_Code=P25x09&Category_Code=

Or

http://www.allcatholicbooks.com/Mer...;Product_Code=I25x001&Category_Code=

(These are the leather editions, but there are also hardback and paperback.)

I
I
Michael Thoma, thanks for bringing this up.Alas, I'm no where near Chicago or I'd take you up on your offer. I've been looking for an RSV for a while now.
Peace,
Indigo

OP Offline
I have the RSV2CE - I like it a lot; I figured I'd get this for a friend, but if the print is that small, maybe I should skip it!
Thanks for the review!

OP Offline
That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask for a while now - does anyone know where to get a copy of the RSV-CE or RSV2CE Gospel only in a large size (about 12X9 inches)? I would like buy it for the parish and maybe get a cloth cover.. and where would one look for a beautiful cloth cover while we're at it?! wink

Father Serge, bless. Do the Bishop's Conferences of GB or Ireland use the RSV-CE? Are there large print Oxford-CE available in your neck of the woods? I'm having a difficult time finding it here.

I am sorry, I've never seen a large print anywhere, but I will keep my eye out for it...

I am not sure, but I think with the Amazon link you provided above is for the Catholic RSV-CE, and it appears that CE is for Compact Edition ... so maybe that could clear up some confusion on my part; I'll look around for the large print...

M
M
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
I would like buy it for the parish and maybe get a cloth cover.. and where would one look for a beautiful cloth cover while we're at it?! wink

You should have one made in India. Just send the book or its measurements with someone you know who is going (along with some money), and any priest there should be able to point your friend in the direction of an ecclesiastical tailor who makes not only vestments, but altar and vessel covers, AND such cloth covers. Your friend might have to buy the appropriate cloth and give it to the tailor, but they'll make it. It shouldn't cost you that much.

OP Offline
Deacon,

Thank you for your suggestion! What translation of the Scriptures are commonly used in your Church in India and in the States?

M
M
MOC Publications puts out a Gospel with the readings translated, presumably, from Syriac. There is no such book for the other OT and NT readings that we publish, although I think the MSO seminary publishes such a book, and a number of our churches use that. Otherwise, they use whatever they have for Malayalam. In English, it is almost exclusively whatever English translation(s) the individual church owns. I've heard the KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, NIV, and (shudder!) the Good News Bible. I can handle the first four, but after that my patience wears thin.

I just got my order of this volume. It's compact and has a small font. If you don't mind that, this is a great value. It feels solid and would be great for a backpack or purse. I bought two.

Terry

Try Pauline Books and Media - the publishing wing of the Daughters of St. Paul. They should definitely be up on all of this:

http://www.pauline.org/

I thought CE meant Catholic Edition...

It is the Catholic Edition--it even has a little miraculous metal on its zipper chain.

It is also a compact edition.

Darn, they raised the price. I was going to buy several more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.