The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
JGC Offline
J
Face of God for a good price:
http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Raya,%20Joseph [/quote]

Thanks, have to wait until late Feb for it to arrive though!

Why the heck don't they simply keep DBW in print. Anytime I have seen BDW it is in the range of $100+ through used outlets or eBay. there is obviously a demand for it!

Originally Posted by lanceg
Why the heck don't they simply keep DBW in print. Anytime I have seen BDW it is in the range of $100+ through used outlets or eBay. there is obviously a demand for it!
I agree!

F
F
I believe there are some copyright problems with Byzantine Daily Worship.

Fr. Serge

N
N
Alleluia Press has plans to reissue Raya's Byzantine Daily Worship. I work for a major corporate bookseller and had hoped to use my employee discount to purchase copies for a relative and myself. I phoned Alleluia Press last week and told the gentleman who answered that I work for N. Books and that I had a customer who wished to purchase two copies of BDW. This gentleman kindly informed me that the book is currently out of print, but Alleluia Press is working on republishing it. They hope to have it available again sometime next year.

Frankly, I agree that Byzantine Daily Worship never should have gone out of print to begin with. I would love to see the three publishing houses who are guardians of Archbishop Raya's written legacy (i.e., Alleluia Press, The Eparchy of Newton/Sophia Press, and Madonna House Publications) enter into a collaborative arrangement to ensure all of the Archbishop's writings remain in print. They should also combine their resources to promote the availability of the Archbishop's books in more bookstores and parish and cathedral gift shops.

Part of the problem is Alleluia Press does very small print runs. The third printing of BDW in 1995 was only 2000 copies. The 2001 print run for the Archbishop Jospeh Raya edition Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom was only 1000 copies.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Does the demand for BDW justify the conservative investment?

Is it that they face limitations with distribution?

Terry

Originally Posted by NicholasSeraphim
Frankly, I agree that Byzantine Daily Worship never should have gone out of print to begin with.
I heavily agree with you. I'm a Latin with a rising interest in the East and everyone keeps recommending his material, but I can't find it anywhere!!!

I wish I could get a copy of the Byzantine Daily Worship for under $200 but as that is not the case I found a happy alternative option. Eastern Christian Publications carries the 1996 Daily Office and Liturgikon of the Ruthenian Recension under the name Let Us Pray to the Lord vol. I (Office) and II (Divine Liturgy). Each book costs $30 SO in the end I only ended up spending $60 plus $6 dollars shipping and now I have good resources for prayer.

Called Alleluia. Need 40k to reprint and don't have 40k. frown

I think it is about time they gave the licence to the respective Melkite eparchies to print it out and sell it at a cheaper price. Honestly, if I really can't wait, I'm going to get books from the Greek Orthodox bookstore... in English. Only AUD 15 per book. Only if I can't wait.

P
P
For the life of me I can't figure out why they don't move over to an on-demand publisher, you don't need 40k to get that in motion, and there are several good ones. I have been blessed to borrow a friend's copy of BDW for study, and it really is a treasure, and deserves to be republished. And the public desire for a reprint would make profit even at on-demand rates.

This is also called 'the Little Raya.' It isn't exact, because some was changed to follow more the wording of the Slavic people. But, for now it is a good alternative.

BYZANTINE BOOK OF PRAYER
(English, hardbound) w/Divine Liturgy of St. John and St. Basil, Molebens, Acathist, Parastas, Tropars/Kondaks, private prayers and Devotions, 6½ X 4½. $20.00

http://www.byzantines.net/byzantinepress/books.htm

Originally Posted by Byzantine TX

What's the "k"?

Originally Posted by Philippe Gebara
Originally Posted by Byzantine TX

What's the "k"?

Thousand. Forty thousand.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.