The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
The CCEO does not request patriarchs, major archbishops or metropolitans of sui iuris Churches to submit their resignation at 75 as it does for bishops. That of course does not prevent them from resigning if their health would indicate require it.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
T
T
Patriarch Myroslav Ivan did not retire when he became less able to do the Administrative work during his later years. Bishop Lubomyr was chosen by the Synod to be his assistant.

This Latin Catholic has a question: what exactly is a patriarch? Is it merely an honorific? Does it imply jurisdiction? Is there a historical connection? Or is there more?

It could be said that it is merely a title, since there is a Patriarch of the East Indies. But this is merely a title of the Archbishop of Goa.

It would also seem that it does not necessarily imply jurisdiction, since there have been titular patriarchs in the past e.g. the Latin Patriarch of Constantinople.

As well, a historical connection does not always seem needed. Please do correct me if I am wrong, but Patriarch Lubomyr of the UGCC is the Patriarch of Kiev. However, the UGCC's history (since coming back into communion with the Holy See) seems confined mostly to Galicia/Галичина.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?

You are half correct. In the Latin Church the title Patirarch means nothing more than the archbishops of Goa, Lisbon and Venice get to be called patriarch, be addressed as Beatitude, and have 15 tassels on their green galero, and usually those of Lisbon and Venice are made cardinals anyway making the latter two distinctions moot. The CIC does not recognize any jurisdictional perogatives to primates or patriarchs:

Can. 438 The titles of patriarch and primate entail no power of governance in the Latin Church apart from a prerogative of honor unless in some matters the contrary is clear from apostolic privilege or approved custom.

The CCEO has 24 Canons dealing with the rights and obligations of Eastern Patriarchs in relation to their jurisdcition over their Churches. See Title 4 Canons 78-101:
http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG1199/_INDEX.HTM

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
I
I
"Can. 438 The titles of patriarch and primate entail no power of governance in the Latin Church apart from a prerogative of honor unless in some matters the contrary is clear from apostolic privilege or approved custom."

(Bold empasis mine)

This reminds me of the Orthodox view of the Pope of Rome. Very interesting....

Both Patriarchs Josyp (92) and Miroslav Ivan (86) served past age 75, and has been pointed out the requirements for canonical retirement do not apply.

No such request was made by Rome in either case for retirement, either; nor likely will there be one in this case.
FDRLB

Diak #280429 02/27/08 06:06 AM
Now that the primary two canonical requirements of the CCEO have been met, namely need (the largest Eastern Catholic Church sui iuris), and the reestablishment of the permanent see in the "principal city" for the residence of the Patriarch (Kyiv, the historic see of the Union) we are well on the way.

Many years to our blessed Patriarch, Lubomyr. Mnohaya lita, eis polla eti Despota!
FDRLB

Many Years to His Beatitude !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.