The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
Hello All,

I decided to separate this thread from the one on the Chotki and the Jesus Prayer. One thing that many people have written about is the need for a spiritual advisor/father/director when learning about the Jesus Prayer. I have been praying the Jesus Prayer for a couple of years now, but I'd never had any advice from an advisor. I started out by reading several books but that's about it.
So I guess my questions are these:
1) How does one go about finding a Spiritual Advisor?
2) Have I been approaching this prayer wrong all along?

Looking forward to some advice.

In Christ,
Aaron

Aaron,

It depends how one is using the Jesus Prayer. If one is attemtping hesychasm, they should without a doubt be under the discipline of a spiritual elder. One could also question whether in todays conditions anyone but an experienced monastic should even consider the attempt.

If on the other hand one is simply using it as:
a form of contemplative prayer for 10-15 minutes at a time
or part of a prayer rule like the Optina Cell Rule:

or as a way of praying throughout the day during tasks that would not allow another form
then it is okay to proceed.

Bishop Kallistos has this to say:
"The invocation of the Name if a prayer of the utmost simplicity, accessible to every Christian, but it leads at the same time to the deepest mysteries of contemplation. Anyone proposing to say the Jesus Prayer for lengthy periods of time each day � and, still more, anyone intending to use the breathing control and other physical exercises in conjunction with the Prayer � undoubtedly stands in need of a starets may still practise the Prayer without any fear, so long as they do so only for limited periods � initially, for no more than ten or fifteen minutes at a time � and so long as they make no attempt to interfere with the body�s natural rhythms.

No specialized knowledge or training is required before commencing the Jesus Prayer. To the beginner it is sufficient to say: Simply begin. �In order to walk one must take a first step; in order to swim one must throw oneself into the water. It is the same with the Invocation of the Name. Begin to pronounce it with adoration and love. Cling only of Jesus himself. Say his Name slowly, softly and quietly."
http://www.oodegr.com/english/psyxotherap/dyn_onom1.htm#_Toc110013901

As to your questions:
1) Find a church/monastery with a priest/monk experienced in the practice of the Jesus Prayer.

2) Judge for yourself against Bishop Kallistos' advice.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
K
OP Offline
K
Father Bless,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will try to find a church/monastery in CT with a priest/monk experienced in the practice of the Jesus Prayer. I do believe it will be quite the search, but I certainly want to find someone.

I've always been quite curious about the statements made by people such as Bishop Kallistos and others about some of the possible "side effects" that can come about to those attempting such contemplation with the Jesus Prayer. I don't mean curious in the sense that I would like to attempt such contemplation, but rather I'm curious as to how these "side effects" and what these "side effects" are.

Thank you again Fr. Deacon Lance. I'm sorry it took so long to respond, but I've been thinking about your response quite a bit.

In Christ,
Aaron

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.