The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#235600 05/19/07 12:25 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
In this day and age, a number of us have started using bible software for reference and ministry. I have found there are a number of different types out there for both PC and Mac. I have been using a couple different versions of software for a long time, and thought that for those that are considering using it or have it, this thread may compare the merits, etc of the different software.

I have been using QuickVerse (for both Mac and PC) almost since it was introduced 15 years ago (starting with version 1.0). Ten versions later I find it to be adequate in providing multiple bible translations for side by side comparison. I find the references to be lacking though, since it is geared mainly for Protestant users. It should be also noted that none of the Catholic editions of the bible are available for use in this software package. It does contain a topical bible and a host of devotional materials, along with the Early Christian Fathers series (though it is difficult to search in full context). Also for those of us that use both PC and Mac platforms, the software interfaces and features are not the same so it does need a learning curve. The only other detraction I find that, recently as I am getting completely used to one version on the PC they are introducing another upgrade (about every 10-12 months). The costs for the upgrade is generally between $50 to $65. For the Mac, they seem to upgrade less frequently. The program for PC also comes in three levels for the full version, Basic, Deluxe, and Platinum. I use the Deluxe edition, for I find that the Platinum is cost prohibitive for my meager budget. As you can see by the provided link, purchasing a full edition of this bible software is an investment.

QuickVerse Site Link [quickverse.com]

I have also found that there are a number of other software products out there, i.e. Logos, E-Sword, WordSearch, Bibleworks, etc. That does not include the amount of freeware out there also. I would be interested from the forum community in general, the collective reviews of different software that may be used by our posters and their recommendations.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
F
Administrator
Administrator
F
Fr. Anthony,

In addition to the problems you cited I should also note that I have had numerous problems with QuickVerse that the company has been unwilling/unable to resolve. I also recently purchased a new laptop that runs Vista and the QuickVerse software does not work well with Vista (the Greek text is not visible, for example).

I have two packages that contain "Catholic" bibles: on is from Harmony Media ("Welcome to the Catholic Church") that contains a number of additional books (including the Summa) and both the NAB and Catholic RSV. The other package is just the NAB and it comes from Rocky Mountain Laboratories.

Fr. Deacon Edward

M
M
From my experience I recommend the E-Sword.

Text, images, various books in one.

I use this program on the laptop, it is a good tool. It is free for PC, and I installed all the free Bibles, which are in my interest area. There are some with money, but I do not use. Bible must be free.

Marian+

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Originally Posted by FrDeaconEd
Fr. Anthony,

In addition to the problems you cited I should also note that I have had numerous problems with QuickVerse that the company has been unwilling/unable to resolve. I also recently purchased a new laptop that runs Vista and the QuickVerse software does not work well with Vista (the Greek text is not visible, for example).

I have two packages that contain "Catholic" bibles: on is from Harmony Media ("Welcome to the Catholic Church") that contains a number of additional books (including the Summa) and both the NAB and Catholic RSV. The other package is just the NAB and it comes from Rocky Mountain Laboratories.

Fr. Deacon Edward
Dear Father Deacon Ed,

Great to have your input. Do you have any further contact info on Harmony Media? Also do you know if they just produce software for just the PC platform or are they diverse?

Thanks!

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Marian #237733 06/02/07 12:42 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Originally Posted by Marian
From my experience I recommend the E-Sword.

Text, images, various books in one.

I use this program on the laptop, it is a good tool. It is free for PC, and I installed all the free Bibles, which are in my interest area. There are some with money, but I do not use. Bible must be free.

Marian+
Dear Marian,

I have tried E-Sword and it does not meet my needs due to its limitations. Also I have seen that they are limited in their offerings, especially when it comes to versions of the bible that I would be need to using.

Just like you have to purchase a hard copy of the bible, sometimes you must do the same with software.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

I would recommend BibleWorks. I have used it since version 3. It is a small business and you can talk to the top people to resolve problems or suggest improvements to the program. They also have a good user forum where people help each other and post databases. Some of the Greek or specialized texts can be expensive addons, but it is the same cost as if you wanted to buy the actual book due to the copyrights. www.bibleworks.com [bibleworks.com]

M
M
I've installed BibleWorks 7, 6 CDs. I began to discover a fine tool, much better than e-sword.

Various resources, including the study of the Greek and Hebrew, etc.

I am much interested in the Greek language, which I study.

The weak part of this software is the abnormal price for the license. I cannot afford such prices. Why is so expensive?! $349?

Living in this corner of world, I believe that all must be open-source.

God bless you all.

M+

Marian #238277 06/06/07 12:46 AM
M
M
Indeed it is an excellent tool this BibleWorks. My only dilemma is that I have downloaded it from torrents and I have no license.

Now I can learn about Biblical history, language etc. And the Greek.

But this dilemma persists. I cannot afford 349$ for a key, and the software is here on my laptop. What to do?

M+

Marian #238280 06/06/07 12:48 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Originally Posted by Marian
But this dilemma persists. I cannot afford 349$ for a key, and the software is here on my laptop. What to do?

M+
There is very little you can do, except like the rest of us have had to do, save our funds and pay the license fee. The only good thing about it later on is the upgrade costs are minimal.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

M
M
Bless me, Father,

I think I uninstall the program and return to e-sword and any other free resource upon Bible.

However, Father Anthony, brethren in Christ, I have no license for WinXP or Office 2007 etc. Here it is about the level of the revenues. Mine are as of a Romanian.

Because now I do not do web design anymore and no need of powerful tools as Dreamweaver or Photoshop, I think with seriousness to choose entirely the Ubuntu or Debian OS. All is free, rich resources on various topics.

A free OS, with free OpenOffice etc.

Now I am just a thief, a pirate.

M+

Marian #238290 06/06/07 01:15 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Each is free to choose manufacturer licensed programs or �Open Source� programs. Whatever you choose is a matter of personal preference and need.

Proposing to circumvent the software manufacturer�s licensing requirements though is about violating US Copyright laws, and that in itself is not appropriate on this forum, since it would make this forum an accessory to an illegal act under these laws. This is also a criminal offense under EU regulations also.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

For years, I have used a product called "OnLine Bible." It comes in a standard free share ware-type version that allows you to add the licensed versions of the Bible. While it was designed by evangelical types, it does include versions and translations of interest to Catholics and Orthodox, including a translation of Jerome's Vulgate, and several English language versions of the Apocrypha. It can be found at http://www.onlinebible.org/

Blessings;

John

soxfan59 #284005 03/25/08 02:59 AM
P
P
I use an RSV with Apocrypha by some Catholic group, Gabriel something.

It doesn't do much, but it does everything I need and more.

O
O
A wee update here

QuickVerse for Macs has been updated and now works with Tiger 10.4.11 [ that last update caused it not to work ] and Leopard.

It forced me into getting the upgrade to the 2007 edition and then I had to patch it - but Quickverse is now working again and frankly for me - it's wonderful !

C
C
Checkout VulSearch 4 at the following link

http://vulsearch.sourceforge.net/

Viking

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.