The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 284 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
This was on BBC this evening. I am sure there are other articles and commentaries on this subject forthcoming.

Vatican slows sainthood process - BBC article [news.bbc.co.uk]

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
A
A
All that the new directives and guidelines are actually proposing or changing is at the initial stages... The Vatican is asking for more due dilligence on the part of the postulators of causes before sending the app off to Rome.

Father Marciel Delgollado's mother may have been pious... but her cause is really worth consideration? I smell a pet cause.

But from what I have read, the Vatican proposals in no way preclude just as many canonizations and beatifications as JP2 presided over... so long as their are worthy candidates. They more or less seem to be asking the dioceses to make sure they are a little more circumspect about what causes they send to rome. For some places the MO seems to have been "compile a file, send it to Rome, let them sort it out"!

A
A
In the 3 years that Pope Benedict XVI has been pope, some 500 people have been beatified, compared to John Paul II's nearly 1,400 over 26 years.

That doesn't include the 800 martyrs of Otranto, whose cultus was approved last year.

There's no slowdown at all

A
A
556 to be precise.

F
F
It has been about five centuries since the process was last revised, so it seems reasonable to consider it again!

Fr. Serge

It seems to me that miracles should not be required. Isn't true (correct me if I am mistaken), that in the early church, martyrs typically became saints?

As far as I am concerned people like Theodore Romzha, Paul Goidic, and Mykolay Charnetsky are already Saints.

F
F
Miracles are not required in the beatification and canonization of martyrs.

Fr. Serge

A
A
I haven't been able to find the exact changes... Everything I so far read about indicates that it has far more to do with how the causes are introduced. The Vatican seems to be raising the bar a little for entering the race, so to speak... But the reace course is the same!

L
L
asianpilgrim said: In the 3 years that Pope Benedict XVI has been pope, some 500 people have been beatified, compared to John Paul II's nearly 1,400 over 26 years.

That doesn't include the 800 martyrs of Otranto, whose cultus was approved last year.

There's no slowdown at all

A lot of those processes were already started long before Pope Benedict's august reign.

Alexis

A
A
The centuries-old laws on inquiries, beatification, and canonization in the Catholic Church were entirely abrogated by Pope John Paul II with the issuance of his Apostolic Constitution Divinus Perfectionis Magister on 25 January 1983.

Upon his instruction, the Congregation for the Causes of Saints promulgated the "New Laws for the Causes of Saints," or the "Norms," about a week later on 07 February 1983.

The aforecited Apostolic Constitution and the Norms implementing it are the current "law" on the declaration of sainthood in the Catholic Church.

However, there are now two amendments or clarifications to the "law":

(1) The Congregation issued a Communique on 29 September 2005 allowing the beatification of a Servant of God in the diocese itself and to be presided over by the Cardinal Prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints or by any Cardinal deputed to do so. Thus, a beatification ceremony need not be presided over by the Pope anymore.

(2) The Congregation issued an "Instruction," Sanctorum Mater, last Monday, 18 February 2008, on the procedures of "Diocesan and Eparchial Enquiries for the Causes of Saints," subject of this thread, which lays out stricter standards during the inquiry process at the diocesan level.

This stricter standard naturally may slow down the process of canonization but, except for a few, the declaration of sainthood for anyone has always been at a snail's pace!

Amado

A
A
Originally Posted by A Simple Sinner
556 to be precise.

Oops, beatified 563 people and created 14 new saints...

P
P
Fr. Serge,

If miracles are not required in the case of martyrs, what can be done to speed the process for their canonization?

Dave

SS,

Originally Posted by A Simple Sinner
All that the new directives and guidelines are actually proposing or changing is at the initial stages... The Vatican is asking for more due dilligence on the part of the postulators of causes before sending the app off to Rome.

Father Marciel Delgollado's mother may have been pious... but her cause is really worth consideration? I smell a pet cause.

But from what I have read, the Vatican proposals in no way preclude just as many canonizations and beatifications as JP2 presided over... so long as their are worthy candidates. They more or less seem to be asking the dioceses to make sure they are a little more circumspect about what causes they send to rome. For some places the MO seems to have been "compile a file, send it to Rome, let them sort it out"!

Also, I think that what is on the Pope's mind is an ongoing effort to encourage the episcopate to take responsibility for all those functions which are properly those of the bishop of the place. Perhaps, in time (much time probably) it will be "normal" to see local saints canonized by the local bishop. [I doubt that will happen generally until it is clear that the local bishops have the idea, and the will, that that falls within their purview. At that time, I imagine, those "local" saints whose cultus has genuinely become universal will then be added to the calendar of the universal Church by the Pope. Kind of like in the old days.]

G
G
Originally Posted by Priest's Grandson
Fr. Serge,

If miracles are not required in the case of martyrs, what can be done to speed the process for their canonization?

Dave

Actually, a miracle is required for canonization, but not required for beatification: http://usccb.org/comm/SaintsFinal.pdf

It has been about five centuries since the process was last revised, so it seems reasonable to consider it again!

I agree. Before recent times, the rule was to wait at least 100 years before the canonization process started. This way things could be looked at more objectively.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.