The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Byzantine Secret Service
OP Offline
Byzantine Secret Service
I saw this tonight and thought it might be of interest to some.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7346032.stm

Yeah...and it's no wonder many Catholic bishops support illegal immigration just so they can have more money for themselves to have fancy jewelry, fancy cars, being spoiled, etc.

Shame on the Catholic bishops who ignore the law of the land for their own greedy gain.

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Originally Posted by spdundas
Yeah...and it's no wonder many Catholic bishops support illegal immigration just so they can have more money for themselves to have fancy jewelry, fancy cars, being spoiled, etc.

Shame on the Catholic bishops who ignore the law of the land for their own greedy gain.

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

I wouldn't be so quick to impute this particular motive to the position many Catholic Bishops take on issues of immigration. Do you have proof to back up this very serious accusation, or is this mere supposition on your own part?

Ryan

That may not be the motivation for the bishops. There is a certain amount of charity which needs to be given to illegals; they must be treated with dignity.

Their priestly obligations are more important than any political pressure they face.

Terry

I could understand criticism of certain bishops if they were to condone a non-Christian spiritualism or animism, but not because of how their words collide with our political atmosphere. If there is a collision with moral law and civil law, maybe we need to reevaluate the civil code.

Terry

Administrator
Administrator
Administrator's note:

I am putting this warning in clear view for all to see, political discussions are prohibited in the Church News section. Any further posts regarding politics will be deleted from this thread.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
A
A

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

Either you are just full of hatred for Catholic bishops or you are ignorant of the real purpose(s) of the USCCB's campaign for immigration reform.

Please inform yourself well before casting aspersions.

http://www.justiceforimmigrants.org/

http://www.usccb.org/mrs/

Amado

Do any bishops require their priests to be bilingual?

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

ROTFL!!!

You actually believe illegal immigrants are a significant source for church income!

Make no mistake, illegal immigrants:

1. Eat.
2. Pay taxes.
3. The rest of the money, they send back to their countries of origin.

This happens until they either become legal and are able to bring their families with them, or until they brin their families with them anyway and then number 3 above becomes:

3. Buy a house big enough to live in and rent rooms to a dozen others who are a couple of steps behind them in the same process.

Either way, illegal immigrants are NOT a significant source of income for our bishops.

Now, the people who hire illegal immigrants might be, after all, they DO save a lot of money paying sub-standard salaries and evading payroll taxes.

Shalom,
Memo

K
K
I say God bless them, the only reason why half the Catholic parishes are still open in my run down area is because of them.

Last edited by Kahless; 04/16/08 05:59 PM.
Many of them are prayer warriors, to borrow a phrase from my Baptist days.

K
K

Originally Posted by Terry Bohannon
Do any bishops require their priests to be bilingual?

It is highly encourged in the local dioceses in my midwest state, at my seminary seminarians are required to take at least 2 years of pastoral language and Spanish is most encouraged, they also must takr an additional 2 years of electives in a pastoral language (which means Spanish), I however will be taking Arabic which qualifies as a pastoral language.

Th article seems to neglect the Hispanic population of the Southwest that has been there since the 1500s. Over 40% of New Mexico, 25% of Colorado, and 10% of California & Texas can claim descent from them. I can count myself among this group.

A
A
I am watching live on the Internet EWTN's broadcast of the Mass at the Nationals Stadium in Washington and when the Holy Father switched to Sapnish during his homily, the stadium audience erupted into appreciative applause!

Even the Pope, who is multi-lingual, delivered a portion of his homily in Spanish to the delight of the hispanic Americans in the audience.

A papal recognition of the growing hispanic influence on the Catholic Church in the U.S.A!

Amado

C
C
Originally Posted by Athanasius The L

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

I wouldn't be so quick to impute this particular motive to the position many Catholic Bishops take on issues of immigration. Do you have proof to back up this very serious accusation, or is this mere supposition on your own part?

Ryan

I agree with Rian, and I am hoping these are only suppositions on your behalf. You seem to forget it was the Holy Family that immigrated to another country to save our Savior�s life.

Before the southwest was part of the US it was already Catholic, however the strength later was with Protestantism due to the British and thirteen colonies. It was not until the 19th century that Italian, Irish, Polish and Eastern Catholics Europeans came and Catholicism grew. It is not until the 21st century that Catholicism became very strong due to Philippines and Hispanics.

It is the duty of a Pastor of Christ to defend life, morals and values. I don�t want to be prejudice but let me remind you that it is the Hispanic community that continues to defend life and morals. Even though I must admit, those moral start watering down once they become to American and comfortable with the lifestyle.

Last edited by COATLAXOPEUH; 04/17/08 03:44 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.