The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#289021 05/18/08 01:10 AM
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Very recently, Queen Elizabeth of England, and I believe, Prince Phillip, visited Turkey.

I saw photos of her in a mosque and couldn't help but wonder if she had visited the Ecumenical Patriarch.

I read nothing or saw nothing to that effect, but I find it curious since that would be a diplomatic insult to the Orthodox.

Considering that her mother-in-law was an Orthodox nun, her son, Prince Charles, is a friend and regular visitor of Mt. Athos, and that her cousins in Russia were Orthodox saint/martyrs, it would be terrible if, in order to appease the Turks who do so much to oppress the Ecumenical Patriarch, if she deferred to their position in this matter.

Does anyone know if her itenerary included a visit to the EP? BBC did not offer extensive coverage of her trip.

Thanks,
Alice

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Please do share the pictures that you found.

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline

Here is a story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7397544.stm

Here is a photo of her in the mosque...she does NOT look like a happy camper!! LOL!

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...ish-News/NWELayout&cid=1209357625265

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Yes, the queen has been placed in a very tough situation.

If she smiles, then she could be accused of disrespect in a house of worship. If she frowns (too much) the same accusations could be made. I think she handles herself well.

Why did she have to wear a headscarf? Islam's code says "head covering", she was already wearing a hat. Why did she have to remove a hat and wear a scarf? Do only Middle Eastern styles of headgear fulfill the requirement?

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
A hat is not a scarf. A Russian scarf would have worked too, but that might have cause irritation.

I do think that it is an ethnic thing. I have seen Russian women wearing middle-eastern type of scarves that drape like those shown in the mosque. But if one wears a scarf that ties under the chin ... well that is too Russian.

Last edited by Elizabeth Maria; 05/18/08 05:25 AM.
M
M
X. B! (Christ is risen!)
C. I. X! (Glory to Jesus Christ)

Most hats have brims so negate the execution of a prostration.

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Oh, yes, during a prostration the hat would fall off the head, unless it is pinned down.

Hopefully, the Queen did not make a prostration in that mosque.

Did you see all the comments posted about Her Majesty on the IslamOnline?

I want to say that "I rest my case" when it comes to Islam being a religion of hate and violence.

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
This lovely site was sent to me by a fellow poster..

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page6253.asp

Unfortunately, the EP was not included in this itenarary of this official state trip...ofcourse that doesn't say much for the state of Turkey and its obvious lack of esteem for Christianity and the major world Christian leader that lives on its soil. Ofcourse, we all know that his very existence there is a thorn in their Islamic sides, and that they refuse to accept him as a major spiritual leader of Orthodox Christians.

Can you imagine a Christian King or Queen visiting Rome and not requesting a quick visit with the Pope at the Vatican? Perhaps it has happened, but we do hear of many visits to him on state trips, including visits by our Presidents.

I think that Her Majesty should have REQUESTED an audience with the EP, since Prince Phillip's mother of blessed memory was an Orthodox nun, and he was born Greek Orthodox!

As Christians we are looking weaker and weaker in the eyes of the non-Christian world, at a time when a brave solidarity with each other should be of utmost priority.

In Christ our Lord,
Alice

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Originally Posted by spdundas
Did you see all the comments posted about Her Majesty on the IslamOnline?

I want to say that "I rest my case" when it comes to Islam being a religion of hate and violence.

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

Yes, a few replies made by Muslims were not kind or proper. However, some were quite civil.

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
...and what would they surmise if they read some 'Christians' comments about them? Many are not much better.

Just to be fair....

Alice

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Thanks for the link, Alice.

Concerning that royal trip, I guess there is much that we will never know.

At least the Queen did not appear to kiss the Quran, because if she had, then the Muslim press would have broadcast it everywhere. Indeed, whenever a Western leader kisses the Quran, it is widely carried by the media, gives Muslims a sense of validity, and then sends a confused message to the rest of the world. In this we Christians show our divisions.

Truly, we should be sending a united message -- one that demonstrates our faith, love, and hope.

Last edited by Elizabeth Maria; 05/19/08 01:49 AM.
How was Price Philips mother an Othodox nun? Was she Anglican and then converted? Is the prince still GO or did he have to become Anglican to have a shot at the throne?

This is my first post. Its great to be part of this message board.

IgnatiusBenedict

M
M
Prince Phillip was born a prince of Greece & Denmark in Greece, of the recent and short-lived Greek monarchy. He renounced those titles just before he married the (then) Princess Elizabeth.

His mother, the Princess, retired as an Orthodox nun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.