The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by theophan
Who cares? Just choose the particular recipe you like best and eat...

Alice

Christ is Risen!! Indeed He is Risen!!

I have to go with Alice on this one. Just bring on lots of whatever you want to call it and bring along lots of other picnic food.

I suggest a "throwdown" wink like they have on the food channel. If you'd all like to come to Hollidaysburg, PA, I'll see if I can rent the park in town and we'll have the first annual Kielbassa competition and picnic sometime this summer. Just be sure to bring along tons of your own favorite and some potato salad and some . . .

BTW, there used to be a meat market in Portage that made their own homemade and it was out of this world.

BOB biggrin

Woohoo! Legion Park is always a good place to have a picnic.

Oy, I must add my 2 cents , I teach everyone in my office it's kowbassa - ukrainian prononciation .
Pyrohy can be varenyky -vareni- boiled hence they also are if you must pierogi. or baked -pecheni .

Halupki - do you mean holubtsi -cabbage rolls ? you know in the east here it is lunchtime ...

marusia
(ukrainska cook)

Tak' pravda, Marusia - kovbasa.
FDRLB (ukrainska food lover)

In reality there is a rich assortment of sausage types, recipes, meats, etc. all throughout Eastern Europe.

Just in Ukraine you can go from the Krakovska or Wieska-style ham kovbasa of the Premyshyl' and L'viv areas, down to the Bukovinska and other mountain styles (probably my favorites), and many others such as Donetskiy, usually beef and something like a salami.

Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Originally Posted by Orthodox Pyrohy
That Secret Squirrel wink

But Secret Squirrel could this whole thing be a part of a conspiracy theory?--perhaps a Roman subversion to the culinary history of an entire region?
It might have been a plot by the Italians to Latinize the Slavs via culinary means! biggrin

. . . there is a rich assortment of sausage types, recipes, meats, etc.

So let's bring them all together. We''ll just have to make sure the picnic follows a fasting, meat-free period like the Dormition Fast.

BOB

F
F
Bliny? Make your own - it's not hard if you can find matzoh meal.

Fr. Serge

D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
Mr Orthodox Pyrohy, of course I know what pyrohy are! It was a linguistic joke, because I eat pierogi (being of Polish descent) and galumpki = halupki, of course.

Fr. Serge, I burn the darn things every time. The polish parish I grew up in is sooo good at frying bleeni that the line is usually the biggest at the annual picnic -- the wait can be over an hour long!

I've finally mastered my grandmother's dill pickle recipe... mmmmm!

Ok, the pinic's forming up. domilsean can bring a barrel of homemade pickles. biggrin

BOB

Last edited by theophan; 06/06/08 01:32 AM.
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel

But Secret Squirrel could this whole thing be a part of a conspiracy theory?--perhaps a Roman subversion to the culinary history of an entire region?
It might have been a plot by the Italians to Latinize the Slavs via culinary means! biggrin

Well the first post does speak of the sausage being introduced into the Trans-Carpathian region in the 1600's by Jesuits. Most likely these were Italian Jesuits who studied in Rome. I think we maybe getting close to the answer. Can we crack the "Kielbasa Code?"

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by domilsean
Mr Orthodox Pyrohy, of course I know what pyrohy are! It was a linguistic joke, because I eat pierogi (being of Polish descent) and galumpki = halupki, of course.

Fr. Serge, I burn the darn things every time. The polish parish I grew up in is sooo good at frying bleeni that the line is usually the biggest at the annual picnic -- the wait can be over an hour long!

We officially inducted you into the Rusyn nation remember?

Father Serge, Matzo meal is readily available in most grocery stores around here. Now I may have to make blini. But if Domilsean comes I'll have to make him pierogies.

U
U
Originally Posted by theophan
Who cares? Just choose the particular recipe you like best and eat...

Alice

I have to go with Alice on this one. Just bring on lots of whatever you want to call it and bring along lots of other picnic food.

I suggest a "throwdown" wink like they have on the food channel. If you'd all like to come to Hollidaysburg, PA, I'll see if I can rent the park in town and we'll have the first annual Kielbassa competition and picnic sometime this summer. Just be sure to bring along tons of your own favorite and some potato salad and some . . .

BTW, there used to be a meat market in Portage that made their own homemade and it was out of this world.

BOB biggrin

SS. Peter and Paul ACROD Church in Windber make some great "domashi" Kolbassi and serve it at their food festival every August. Duzhe fajno indeed!

Ung

U
U
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel

Ah, keep the Hunky Pravoslavny full of Kolbassi, and they won't care about the terms of the c.1596 and c.1646 Unions. Yes, that is an intriguing hypothesis, indeed!

Ung

Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Ah, keep the Hunky Pravoslavny full of Kolbassi, and they won't care about the terms of the c.1596 and c.1646 Unions. Yes, that is an intriguing hypothesis, indeed!

Ung
That's right, subjugation of the faith through a full stomach! And let's not forget that Frankish German sauerkraut that was foisted upon us to make the filioque more palatable. biggrin

Also, let's not forget the Transylvanian connection in all this. The abundant use of garlic in kielbasi was to keep blood-thirsty vampires away. Without the use of garlic, our people were very sleep deprived because they always thought that these vampires were going to get them during the night.

It is no accident that this old country "cupola"
[Linked Image]

is not an onion, but a garlic bulb.

This conspiracy may actually be getting tastier.

Ray

SS. Peter and Paul ACROD Church in Windber make some great "domashi" Kolbassi and serve it at their food festival every August.

Ung:

So when is their festival this year? Will you keep us posted?

BOB

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.