The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 326 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Originally Posted by 70x7
Also, let's not forget the Transylvanian connection in all this. The abundant use of garlic in kielbasi was to keep blood-thirsty vampires away. Without the use of garlic, our people were very sleep deprived because they always thought that these vampires were going to get them during the night.

It is no accident that this old country "cupola"
[Linked Image]

is not an onion, but a garlic bulb.

This conspiracy may actually be getting tastier.

Ray
Hmmmm, interesting. It looks like another piece in the puzzle to the "Kielbasa Code" has been found! biggrin

U
U
It is usually the first Sunday in August, since they won't celebrate the Dormition until August 28th, it is held before the "Uspenskyj Pust".

Ung

We are again getting closer to the "conspiracy".

The original spelling is K-O-L' - basi. "Kol" is one of the Slavic gods of antiquity. When Cyril and Methodius came to our lands, they asked the natives what that long sausage-like food they were eating. They quickly responded, "KOL'basi" at which the two saintly brothers changed the name so it was not afflilated with paganism any longer. So "kielbasy" became the new name.

Pockets of "Kol'basy" still exist throughout the Slavic world.
[Linked Image]

Source: "Veka"Pidia

LOL! ;-)

Ray

D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
OK, I'll bring a barrel of pickles. But I'm warning you, they are extremely addictive and go only too well with kielbasa. If we have enough time, I'll also bring a big old tub of homemade fermented sauerkraut (takes a few weeks to brew).

my mouth is watering.

As for the pierogies... I got off school one day in 1994 to go to the Schuylkill Mass to represent my high school (Nativity BVM) in a Mrs. T's Pierogies eating contest. While the rest of the fools were swallowing them whole (the winner ate 27 in 3 minutes), I took the time to enjoy them -- they were perfectly cooked and covered in butter and onions! Why chug perfectly good pierogies?

Another fun anecdote -- my family bases receptions on who makes the best halupki. Honest to God. For my brother's wedding, the Ukrainians had the best halupki-in-bulk deal. For my grandfather's after-funeral dinner, the Ruthenians had the best deal. It's kind of weird, but we love the stuff.

I'm ready for the picnic NOW!

Plus we'll need fresh rye bread, unsalted butter and young garlic thinly sliced. Yep that'll cure what ever ails you. I'll get get my MIL working on the varenyky -melt-in-your-mouth dough. And fried salt pork bits with onions much better than bacon bits. Except on Fasting days .....

marusia

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
Also, let's not forget the Transylvanian connection in all this. The abundant use of garlic in kielbasi was to keep blood-thirsty vampires away. Without the use of garlic, our people were very sleep deprived because they always thought that these vampires were going to get them during the night.

It is no accident that this old country "cupola"
[Linked Image]

is not an onion, but a garlic bulb.

This conspiracy may actually be getting tastier.

Ray
Hmmmm, interesting. It looks like another piece in the puzzle to the "Kielbasa Code" has been found! biggrin

Indeed, everyday brings us closer to cracking the "Kielbasa Code"

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
We are again getting closer to the "conspiracy".

The original spelling is K-O-L' - basi. "Kol" is one of the Slavic gods of antiquity. When Cyril and Methodius came to our lands, they asked the natives what that long sausage-like food they were eating. They quickly responded, "KOL'basi" at which the two saintly brothers changed the name so it was not afflilated with paganism any longer. So "kielbasy" became the new name.

Pockets of "Kol'basy" still exist throughout the Slavic world.
[Linked Image]

Source: "Veka"Pidia

LOL! ;-)

Ray

Ray!! Most awesome work, keep it up.

No need to debate the original source...just cook 'em and eat !

james, a Politaliano... wink

As for the pierogies... I got off school one day in 1994 to go to the Schuylkill Mass to represent my high school (Nativity BVM) in a Mrs. T's Pierogies eating contest. While the rest of the fools were swallowing them whole (the winner ate 27 in 3 minutes), I took the time to enjoy them -- they were perfectly cooked and covered in butter and onions! Why chug perfectly good pierogies?

domilsean:

Judging from your other posts and this one--definitely this one--I can see that your mother didn't raise any fool. wink

Picnic: Got kielbassa, pierogies, halushki, sauerkraut, homemade pickles. Gotta add a couple kegs of beer.

I know, I'll bring the "Bean-o." Lots of Bean-o. biggrin biggrin

BOB

Last edited by theophan; 05/23/08 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by theophan

domilsean:

Judging from your other posts and this one--definitely this one--I can see that your motehr didn't raise any fool. wink

Picnic: Got kielbassa, pierogies, halushki, sauerkraut, homemade pickles. Gotta add a couple kegs of beer.

I know, I'll bring the "Bean-o." Lots of Bean-o. biggrin biggrin

BOB

Bob, you know you keep talking about this picnic......
So who is really coming?
Mr. Domilsean will have to bring his pickles, his famous sauerkraut and his kielbasa. I'll bring halupki and pyrohy. Who's bringing the blini?

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Has anyone heard of the personal prelature of Opus Victus? Much isn't found on the internet and even at that their website are written in code, like John Nash type code, no like DaVinci Code type code.
There has been a long rumor this group has been funding the subversion of Byzantine rite tradition in favor of Latin rite tradition for years by way of food subversion. They also are reported to have had a heavy hand in the reformation of the Latin rite in the 1950's and 60's by introducing jarred spaghetti sauces to achieve their goals. They meet in the personal prelature's kitchens to devise recipes to subvert rites that may be looked upon as possibly questioning the Holy See, and coming up with food that will make those peoples lethargic and subservient.
Often these changes were blamed on the FreeMasons however through years of code cracking signs are pointing to this highly secret group, Opus Victus.

[Linked Image]

Tradition has it that Cardinal Andrea D'Victussi started this group in ultimate secrecy in 1604 A.D. Members entered the Jesuits and studied in Rome. The group and Cardinal D'Victussi set their sights on the Carpathian Mountains of Eastern Europe. Sending their secret members who were now Jesuit missionaries they sought to change and latinize the Slavs in Eastern Europe. As we can see evidence of this has been mounting in this thread.

OP:

I'm just trying to see if there's some traction for some of the members here to get together for a kielbassa picnic. If there's no interest . . .

BOB

Originally Posted by theophan
OP:

I'm just trying to see if there's some traction for some of the members here to get together for a kielbassa picnic. If there's no interest . . .

BOB

Isn't Hollidaysburg near Cresson? I go there with my Father every summer. I'd be interested in the picnic.

Couple miles away. Maybe this "tongue-in-cheek" suggestion will take off.

BOB

Last edited by theophan; 05/23/08 09:23 PM.
My dear Eastern European friends,

Although I grew up in the 'melting pot' of the world--New York City--every area/neighborhood (almost the size of towns, as New York's boroughs are huge) had/has its own distinctive ethnic mix...so my area was mostly Italian, Norwegian, and some Greek, and the Eastern European/Polish neighborhoods were so far away in distance, that I never even drove through them or knew anyone there...Therefore, I never saw or even heard of a 'pierogie'! shocked

I had more partaking and knowledge of Jewish foods (knish, pastrami, etc.) than Eastern European...

Admittedly, I never knew the delight of Pierogies until the Great Fast this year!! In my supermarket, there is a 'gourmet' fresh pasta and other goods section, and there is a variety of 'freshly' made 'gourmet' pierogies there. cool

They are a little expensive, but worth the fresh factor, since I don't have a granny that can make them for me!

Since I was missing my beloved stuffed pastas because of the Great Fast, (like tortellini, ravioli, etc...I am obsessed w/pasta--my hubbie says that he cannot believe that I am not Italian, but then again, some of the areas which my ancestors came from were occupied at one time by the Genoese for centuries!), so imagine how thrilled I was to discover pierogies--all the yum factor of stuffed pasta, but NO dairy (atleast that I know of, so please don't ruin it for me if there is any in the dough, because ignorance can be bliss when it comes to the loooooooong Lenten fast).

I like the cabbage and potato filling and the spinach and potato filling. I saute them in a good quality extra virgin olive oil until they are crispy and season them w/salt and pepper. Sometimes I eat them on a plate of sauteed onions like you guys do...It is great Fasting (and otherwise ofcourse) fare! smile

Alice

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.