The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Katie g Offline OP
OP Offline
I was kinda surprised that no one else has posted anything about the new Narnia movie, maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Has anyone else seen it yet? Here's the trailer for it from You Tube.

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
My wife and I saw it yesterday. We both enjoyed it.

Ryan

I thought it was OK. There were some decent action scenes. It felt a little like LOTR plus a water God that eats things, but...that he was pretty biblical looking - like Moses...

B
B
I plan to see it, just haven't had the time yet.

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
I was just re-reading the Magician's Nephew which tells of the creation of Narnia. It is interesting that C.S. Lewis does talk about the river god (note the small 'g').

"Out of the trees wild people stepped forth, gods Fauns and Satyrs and Dwarfs. Out of the river rose the river god with his Naiad daughters" (71).

Lewis, C.S. "The Magician's Nephew," 1955, in The Chronicles of Narnia, p. 11-106. New York: NY, Harper-Collins. 1982.

Katie g Offline OP
OP Offline
I really enjoyed the film. Some people have told me that they thought it was too battle heavy but it didn't really bother me. I think this film had more intense moments than the first one but I like the first one just a tad bit better.

D
D
We took everyone to it yesterday, and thought it was well done. I marveled at Trumpkin; he was perfect.

That was also the most I have ever spent getting into a movie. $50.50 for seven of us--at a matinee with two children's discounts!

I'm also kind of amazed at Lewis' use of a river god, but the more I think of it, the "lower" the case of the "g" gets, with his clear subordination and obedience to Aslan.

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Didn't Lewis also believe that we are all in the process of becoming 'gods' through theosis where we can become like God through grace but never like God in His Essence?

Hispanic Byzantine
Hispanic Byzantine
I just watched it last Friday and really enjoyed it. I think there's a great message regarding the fact that without God's help nothing can be achieved i.e. when Peter (isn't it something that the High King of Narnia is named Peter?)tells Lucy "we have waited for Aslan long enough" and goes into battle and the battle is lost... and then only when Aslan returns and they show their faith in him everything goes fine!!!

Quite a message!!!! Without God we can not achieve anything, but with Him we can achieve even the humanly impossible!!!

God Bless

Bernardo

Katie g Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, I thought it was interesting when Lucy also had to remind her brother who REALLY killed the White Witch.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.