The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by theophan
OP:

I'm just trying to see if there's some traction for some of the members here to get together for a kielbassa picnic. If there's no interest . . .

BOB

Bob, I'm always up for a picnic! Especially one in the neighborhood of our dearly beloved county.

ALICE:

Christ is Risen!! Indeed He is Risen!!

We don't have gourmet Pierogies here but there are several brands that come frozen that are not so bad.

BOB

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
You can usually get pyrohy off some of the Orthodox churches in the area that are quite good. Of course you have Mrs. T's. Then the cheap grocery store sells these pyrohy from Canada that are actually ok.

Originally Posted by Orthodox Pyrohy
You can usually get pyrohy off some of the Orthodox churches in the area that are quite good. Of course you have Mrs. T's. Then the cheap grocery store sells these pyrohy from Canada that are actually ok.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mrs. T's. The McDonald's equivalent of pirohi. biggrin

D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
Hey now. Mrs. T's a great local company. They've introduced pierogie to the world.

And I'm in for the picnic, now that the beer's been added.

But maybe someone else should get the kielbasa, because I don't have a good butcher.

J
J
Originally Posted by Garajotsi
Xpucmoc Bockpec

Is kielbasa Rusyn, Ukrainian or Polish?

Who cares but it is simply smile DELICIOUS! smile

Kolya

I agree. As a Pole I am not going to fight for the Polish origin of kielbasa. I am going to devour it, fried with onion is the best.
See home-made or country sausage (home-made in Poland means traditional):
http://polandsite.proboards104.com/...ion=display&thread=19&page=4#930

Someone mentioned kishka - it`s delicious, too.
http://polandsite.proboards104.com/...tion=display&thread=19&page=2#97

Last edited by Jerzy; 05/24/08 07:41 PM.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mrs. T's. The McDonald's equivalent of pirohi.

Etnick:

To a starving man, even McDonald's is a place to be thankful for. biggrin We do have some local churhces that make pierogies, but they don't do it on a regular basis.

If we have a picnic, will the purists be offended if the kielbassa is grilled over charcoal?

BOB

Last edited by theophan; 05/25/08 12:09 AM.
R
R
Originally Posted by Alice
I had more partaking and knowledge of Jewish foods (knish, pastrami, etc.) than Eastern European...

er, try again

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mrs. T's. The McDonald's equivalent of pirohi.

Etnick:

To a starving man, even McDonald's is a place to be thankful for. biggrin We do have some local churhces that make pierogies, but they don't do it on a regular basis.

If we have a picnic, will the purists be offended if the kielbassa is grilled over charcoal?

BOB

Bob, nope! Sounds good. Maybe I'll even run over to the Russian store if I get a chance and bring some of the thin slicked capratho kielbasa which doesn't need cooked (Marc will point out the Pittsburgh regional dialect in that sentence). So who is coming, when, and where? Can we get Legion Park Bob?

Can we get Legion Park Bob?

OP:

I'll have to check into that. By this time most of the pavilions have been reserved for rental for the summer. I'll see if I can reach someone who does the scheduling. We do need to take this seriously, though, and ask how many of the board's members are interested.

Then it's a matter of getting organized: menu, misc like charcoal, etc. Are we having a "throwdown" where people bring different kinds and brands so we can see who's got the best kielbassa? BTW, I have some neighbors who would volunteer to serve as judges. grin

BOB

Last edited by theophan; 05/25/08 01:37 PM.
D
D

I'm a purist. I absolutely insist on charcoal for grilling. Gas grills are for sissies smile

However, I'm going to need a two or three month lead time to make the beer . . . much longer if you want a lager rather than ale.

hawk

hawk:

I'll get on the schedule issue right away. The only other issue I had with Ortho P was the issue of anyone here who is under age coming and wanting a beer.

BOB

I'm a purist. I absolutely insist on charcoal for grilling. Gas grills are for sissies

hawk:

What I meant was that it seemed that most wanted to cook indoors and not over charcoal.

BOB

Last edited by theophan; 05/27/08 01:36 AM.
The question has been tossed around. Is there serious interest out there for a kielbassa throwdown picnic in Central PA this summer?

If I can get a spot at my hometown park where there is a kiddie park and places for softball, who and how many would come?

What would folks like for a menu? If we're to have a "throwdown," how many kinds of kielbassa will there be and who will be bringing some of it? Picnic food or a mixture with ethnic goodies?

Looking for some serious answers.

BOB

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
hawk:

I'll get on the schedule issue right away. The only other issue I had with Ortho P was the issue of anyone here who is under age coming and wanting a beer.

BOB

We may as well be upfront about this issue Bob!

-The legal age to consume alcohol in the U.S.A. is 21.
-To those under 21 years of age coming to this picnic you will be expected to obey the drinking age law. If you aren't 21 or older and can't prove it then your hand better not be near the beer cooler or a bottle of wine or vodka, etc...
-Not only will the over 21 year old people at the picnic take this law seriously the Pennsylvania State Police will....... their police station is directly across the street from this park. The local city police also frequently patrol this park as well.
Please if you attend the picnic and are underage follow the law and do not touch the alcohol, Pennsylvania has a zero tolerance blood alcohol count limit for those under 21 years of age. None of us want to lose jobs, businesses and numerous other rights because of someone underage drinking. It is a serious issue and frankly I wouldn't mind this picnic being alcohol free.
The most important thing is to have a gathering of people, eat some good food, live and laugh a little and have fun.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.