The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
U
OP Offline
U
With the reality of severe contraction and lack of vocations within the "Sui Juris Metropolitan Byzantine Church of America" (aka Ruthenian Metropolia), parish schedules have changed. Some parishes within Greater Pittsburgh that use to have a Saturday evening "vigil" Divine Liturgy no longer have such Saturday evening services . Following the Archeparchial meetings held this week, many smaller parishes no longer have any services (vespers or vigil liturgy) on Saturday evenings. Could we keep an open thread that updates parish scheduling for the benefit of those of us who work alot on Saturdays and Sundays? The following parishes no longer have a Saturday vigil liturgy:

Holy Trinity parish in Wall, PA only 9:00 AM Sunday Divine Liturgy.

Resurrection parish in Monroeville, PA only 9:30 AM Sunday Divine Liturgy.

St. Mary parish in East Pittsburgh, PA now has a 4:00 pm Saturday evening vigil Divine Liturgy.

Could someone post an updated list of other Pittsburgh Area parish schedules?

Also, can someone repost a link to a Reader Service that DOES NOT have gender inclusive characteristics, maybe those used by the UGCC Metropolitan Church?

Ung

O
O
Ung

have you looked at Fr John Whiteford's little compilation ?

All you could ever want for, I think [saintjonah.org]

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
Ung

have you looked at Fr John Whiteford's little compilation ?

All you could ever want for, I think [saintjonah.org]

Anhelya,

"Djakuju krasna" for the link. I have discovered I can sing the appropriate Subcarpathian Prostopinije music to the Readers' Service without any problems! This will have to sustain me until I can attend my home parish when I'm not working on Sunday.

Ung

O
O
That link was given to me a looooooooong time ago smile and I honestly can't remember who passed it - my GodPapa perhaps - though he wasn't at that stage smile mebbe Fr Deacon Randy - though he wasn't either smile

Suffice it to say I have had the link and used a good deal of the material from there at times , like this morning frown

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
With the reality of severe contraction and lack of vocations within the "Sui Juris Metropolitan Byzantine Church of America" (aka Ruthenian Metropolia), parish schedules have changed. Some parishes within Greater Pittsburgh that use to have a Saturday evening "vigil" Divine Liturgy no longer have such Saturday evening services . Following the Archeparchial meetings held this week, many smaller parishes no longer have any services (vespers or vigil liturgy) on Saturday evenings. Could we keep an open thread that updates parish scheduling for the benefit of those of us who work alot on Saturdays and Sundays? The following parishes no longer have a Saturday vigil liturgy:

Holy Trinity parish in Wall, PA only 9:00 AM Sunday Divine Liturgy.

Resurrection parish in Monroeville, PA only 9:30 AM Sunday Divine Liturgy.

St. Mary parish in East Pittsburgh, PA now has a 4:00 pm Saturday evening vigil Divine Liturgy.

Could someone post an updated list of other Pittsburgh Area parish schedules?

Also, can someone repost a link to a Reader Service that DOES NOT have gender inclusive characteristics, maybe those used by the UGCC Metropolitan Church?

Ung

Does anyone know what the newly-revised liturgical schedules would be for Holy Nativity Church and St. John Chrysostom Church in Greenfield section of Pittsburgh, SS. Peter and Paul Church in Braddock, SS. Peter and Paul Church in Duquesne?

Ung

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Does anyone know what the newly-revised liturgical schedules would be for Holy Nativity Church and St. John Chrysostom Church in Greenfield section of Pittsburgh, SS. Peter and Paul Church in Braddock, SS. Peter and Paul Church in Duquesne?

Ung,

I can't vouch for absolute accuracy, but - within the last 6-8 weeks - the Archeparchy updated virtually all of the parish directory pages on its site. I can confirm several of these as having included schedule changes. As to the Greenfield parishes, schedules are not yet posted, but see:

Ss Peter & Paul, Braddock

Ss Peter & Paul, Duquesne

Could we keep an open thread that updates parish scheduling for the benefit of those of us who work alot on Saturdays and Sundays?

I'm working at trying to finish up the Directory entries for Pennsylvania, but completion is probably a couple weeks out yet. Meanwhile, the Archeparchy's listings are here [archeparchy.org].

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
U
OP Offline
U
Those schedules are the same as before, so I don't think the Archeparchial site has been updated.

Also for SS. Peter and Paul parish history, it says it started as St. Nicholas Greek Catholic Church in 1904. That is an error, as the first St. Nicholas Church in Duquesne started early organization in 1890. Later, it became an Orthodox Church, and only after that time did those who remained Greek Catholic then formed SS. Peter and Paul Uhro-Rusyn Greek Catholic Church.

Ung

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Those schedules are the same as before, so I don't think the Archeparchial site has been updated.

Ung,

I can assure you that updates have been made - to the point of the Archeparchy renaming the urls of the individual parish pages as each was updated, causing me to have to replace the corresponding links in our directory.

In checking just now, the Greenfield entries have not yet been updated (old url addresses still in place). Both Braddock and Duquesne are new url addys. If the schedules are the same as previously, I think it likely indicates that those have not changed.

Also for SS. Peter and Paul parish history, it says it started as St. Nicholas Greek Catholic Church in 1904. That is an error, as the first St. Nicholas Church in Duquesne started early organization in 1890. Later, it became an Orthodox Church, and only after that time did those who remained Greek Catholic then formed SS. Peter and Paul Uhro-Rusyn Greek Catholic Church.

No. It says Ss Peter & Paul was formed from St Nicholas (which was indeed founded in 1890) - not that it started as St Nicholas.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
U
OP Offline
U
It should include the 1890 info for the original formation of the first Greek Catholic parish in Duquesne. I believe it was the second Greek Catholic community to form in the Greater Pittsburgh area after South Side Pittsburgh.

Ung

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
It should include the 1890 info for the original formation of the first Greek Catholic parish in Duquesne. I believe it was the second Greek Catholic community to form in the Greater Pittsburgh area after South Side Pittsburgh.

It will - in time. Until I got to PA, I was trying to do the historical entries contemporaneously with the active ones, but it was slowing me down too much. I can only get a few hours work in on this daily and would like to get the remainder of the Metropolia finished and move on to the parishes of the UGCC Metropolia. So, until the active parishes are caught up, there's a moratorium on the historical entries.

You can see some examples of historical entries ...

S Basil Byzantine, E Chicago, IN

S Nicholas Greek-Catholic, Chicago, IL

Holy Redeemer Belarusian, Chicago, IL

Many years,

Neil

U
OP Offline
U
I was referring to the Archeparchial site.

Ung

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.