The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
A
Originally Posted by Michael McD
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
Altar Server

whether you like it or not - female Servers are permitted in the RC Church. It is left to each Bishop to decide whether they will permit it in their Diocese.

There are many parishes where boys will not come forward to serve - so either the Priest is on his own - or he has girls.

Our's is a "diversity" diocese (so it seems) and the girls are often "on the altar" so to speak, in some parishes. But my parish pastor, who celebrates the TLM weekly or more as well as the NO, seems to have a methodology to counteract it.

One recent Sunday I had to attend the Noon NO Mass, which the pastor was serving, and, by coincidence, during the announcements he mentioned that with the end of the school year, there would be a new class forming for the boys who wished to serve at the altar; "or girls, for that matter" he added with a smile. The context is that, de facto, no girls serve on the altar (though there are ladies who serve as readers for the NO), and the boys dress in cassock and surplice!

So, while the girls are free to take the classes, it sounds to me like the boys wouldn't want their sisters around, and vice versa! It wouldn't be cool .

Michael

One of the arguments against female altar servers is precisely this: it will create more situations of needless conflict and alienation inside the sanctuary.

Having an "unspoken" rule whereby girls are technically allowed in the sanctuary and yet tacitly discouraged from availing of this permission, will only create dissension and anger among not a few girls and women. Why tell them that they can come in, then work so that they'll remain outside? Consistency is the key. Either they are allowed to serve, or not. Period.

Besides, keeping out girls in this manner -- telling them that they can come but with the unspoken rule that they do so at their peril -- can be kept up only with some amount of subtle or not-so-subtle bullying and other pressure tactics. Do we really need that kind of behavior among the servants of our altars?

Finally, we can be certain that not a few female altar servers, serving frequently at the altar, will eventually think: why can't I be a priest? After all, vocations have been traditionally developed through altar serving. The proponents of female altar servers knew what they were doing in the 1970's and 1980's!

In short, it would have been better if the old liturgical laws on this matter -- affirmed as late as 1980 and 1990 by the Holy See only to reverse it in 1992 -- had been kept. Now that the Holy See has allowed it, we have to rein in the consequences -- a task that can be accomplished only with great difficulty.

I'm not sure why you are worked up about my anecdote. In the parish, it is the children with the "unspoken rule", not the pastor!

A
Roman Catholic
Roman Catholic
A
My Parish Church has no seating for the congregation behind the altar but they moved the Choir from the choir loft to behind the altar so the people could sit in the choir loft heres the website I'm not sure if there are pics or not but just to add compared to some other churches in our are we have it good

www.ctkkcmo.org [ctkkcmo.org]
in comparison
http://www.stsabina.org/
and yes the GO church is beautiful I wish our churches could find a way to be Modern and still have traditional architecture ...altar rails ect.
God Bless,
David
P.S if these links don't have links PM me amd let me know I will find some

A
Roman Catholic
Roman Catholic
A
sorry when I said if these inks don't have links o them i meant pics
God Bless+
David

F
F
Dear Alexis,

If you are able to get the TIVO on to DVD (ah, the tyrrany of alphabet soup!) I shall be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

Fr. Serge

F
F
Since the 2012 Eucharistic Congress will be held in Dublin, here is some guidance from over eighty years ago which should be kept in mind in planning the Eastern Catholic components of the event:

�Above all, let us not profane our Liturgy by organizing theatrical performances, or accepting invitations to take part in such exhibitions, in edifices by no means appropriate, mixing several traditions in what frequently becomes a fantastic motley circus of costumes and colours that seems to have no purpose but the amusement of low people.�

Father Cyril Korolevsky, 1927

Y'all come!

Fr. Serge

A
A
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
Since the 2012 Eucharistic Congress will be held in Dublin, here is some guidance from over eighty years ago which should be kept in mind in planning the Eastern Catholic components of the event:

�Above all, let us not profane our Liturgy by organizing theatrical performances, or accepting invitations to take part in such exhibitions, in edifices by no means appropriate, mixing several traditions in what frequently becomes a fantastic motley circus of costumes and colours that seems to have no purpose but the amusement of low people.�

Father Cyril Korolevsky, 1927

Y'all come!

Fr. Serge

I've always been under the impression that a lot of my fellow Roman Catholics -- not excluding hierarchs -- still consider the Eastern Catholics to be an amusing sideshow, a nice, exotic diversion that somehow makes up for the drabness of the current liturgical regime in most parishes. (Same applies to how the TLM is seen by a lot of people)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.