The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 309 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#293195 06/26/08 09:50 AM
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought I would post a fun (or not so fun--as the case may be) thread on phobias. What are yours?

Mine are:

1. Fear of high edges..not so much heights as edges of heights...as in: I can be in a tall building and even look out of the window, but I cannot lean on or even go near the balcony rail of a high building. I cannot go near the edge of a cliff and look down, but I can look into the distance. You should see me as a passenger (huddled towards the middle of the car in prayer and fear) when winding up narrow mountain roads of Greece or the Amalfi Coast of Italy! One does not know how scary they are...think of the 1950's movie w/Grace Kelly and Cary Grant : 'To Catch a Thief' which was filmed in Monaco. I have not yet had the 'pleasure' of traveling on those roads, however!! eek

2. Fear of the thought of extreme depths of water. I get this weird feeling looking at a ship in drydock, for instance, because it makes me realize the depth which it goes down to in the water.
Also, I have a great phobia when looking into empty swimming pools. For me, it is the scariest sight. I can swim in them, I just don't want to see them without water.

Wierd...huh?!?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Alice,

We play trivia at work as a way to make collecting money for the "sunshine fund" (b'day gifts, hospital flowers, etc) more interesting. There's a different theme each week - myself and another guy alternate weeks writing the questions. We post a question a night, first correct answer drawn wins a $1 lottery ticket; no correct answers, first random draw wins.

My theme this week happens to be phobias. Yours are rather fascinating b/c they don't fall into any of the common types.

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
O
O
Mine aren't interesting frown

I have a 'thing' about cats - and I can date it from when I was away on holiday and a cat [ seemed to be HUGE and very very furry ] jumed on my lap as I was eating dinner one night - it scared me so much I jumped and the chair tipped over backwards . Since that day cats and I don't really get on.

My other one is claustrophobia - not really severe and usually controllable but I do tend to panic . Flying is not nice - but I can manage - I have to be able to see the plane door . An RC Confessional - - no chance of that add dark to confined space - that on is not controllable frown This one came about after our trailer tent went on fire at 2 am one morning , with us in it , up a mountain in Portugal.

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Dear Neil,

Actually my first fear is 'acrophobia'..the strange thing is that 'acro' actually means 'edge' in Greek, and not necessarily height.

acrophobia
Excessive fear of heights, elevators, climbing ladders, pinnacles, etc.; fear of sharp points.
This is one of the most common phobias in the general population.

People who have acrophobia are afraid of being on high floors of buildings or on the tops of hills or mountains. They often feel anxious when they approach the edge of bridges, rooftops, stairwells, and railings. Sometimes individuals fear and feel an uncontrollable urge to jump.

As for the phobia of empty swimming pools, there isn't yet a word, but I can make one up!

How is adiopiscinophobia! (adio: Greek for empty, piscine: Frech for swimming pool, and phobia: fear)

Regards,
Alice smile

Dear Anhelyna:

This one came about after our trailer tent went on fire at 2 am one morning , with us in it , up a mountain in Portugal.

OH DEAR!!! eek

Regards,
Alice

E
E
Alice;

From the way you describe them, we have exactly the same
phobias, so if they're weird, we're weird together.

Edmac

Ok...

1. Sharks
2. Tornados
3. Snakes (particularly water moccasins)
4. Ledges

FDD

Acrophobia: I am terrified of open heights, but I have to stand as close to the edge as possible.

Claustrophobia: If no one else is there, I'll leave the stall door open in a public restroom.

I have had nightmares of deep water. In one of them I was swimming in an Olympic sized pool and it got deeper and deeper. And then there were shark shadows at the bottom.

I don't know if it is a phobia, but the hair on the back of my neck stands when I think of it.

There was an Olympic sized pool where I used to live. When I was seven to twelve I would jump off its three-story diving platform. I haven't jumped from that height in some time, but I fear the depth more than the height.

I've been around too many tornados to fear them. If it hits me on the road or in the house unprepared there's little I can do about it but hunker down. (But deep water...that I can avoid.)

Terry

N
N
Deep water is scary. I think about getting tied to something heavy and being thrown from boat in the middle of the ocean.

I also am scared of being buried alive.

I also am scared of Yellowstone Supervolcano exploding..haha.

M
M
Being buried alive or trapped in a submarine with no way out would definitely be two that come to mind.

On the lighter side, one verse antiphons and 45 minute liturgies as well wink

Monomakh

B
B
Originally Posted by Monomakh
Being buried alive or trapped in a submarine with no way out would definitely be two that come to mind.

On the lighter side, one verse antiphons and 45 minute liturgies as well wink

Monomakh

Hah! LOL. biggrin I am afraid of heights so I avoid high places. I am also afraid of water but I think that's because I don't swim. However, I have plenty of Baptist friends and they know water quite well. wink They look after me around the wet stuff.

L
L

Without trying to be a nitpicker, I'd say most of the fears expressed here are probably shared by the average person. Personally I have very few phobias, but if you want to talk worries and superstitions I've got quite a few. For instance, I get very unsettled by a phone ringing before or after business hours

J
J
Swamps, wetlands, deep dark ocean water I can't see into.

SNAKES! I had a 6 1/2 foot python crawl into my house one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L
L
Hm,

I absolutely cannot stand the sound of heartbeats.

It's something that's always bothered me a little, but has progressed into almost a phobia in the past few years.

I think it's because I get to thinking how hard the heart works, non-stop, all day every day, right on cue...and that one's entire life depends on this regularity, and how since it's working so hard it seems so likely that it'll just give up at any moment.

Anyway, I don't much like the feeling of my own heartbeat either, but ironically it doesn't bother me as much if I've just done an athletic activity. But when I feel/hear it without having done something athletic, or if I feel or hear someone else's, I have to control myself from totally losing it!

Strange, I know...

Alice, since you are one of our resident Greek speakers, what would you call a "phobia of heartbeats" in Greek? I've never successfully found a word for it.

Alexis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.