The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
It would appear that the Ukrainian Orthodox Churche's Kyivan Patriarch has invited many foreign Orthodox church leaders to the events taking place in Kyiv Ukraine this week, which include the 900th anniversary of the founding St-Michael's Golden Domed Monastery and the 1020 anniversary of the Baptism of Rus-Ukraine.

In a separate article he has stated that he has invited the four churches which he considers to be the heirs to the 988 Baptisim of Kyivan Rus by 'St-Volodymyr the Great' to participate in the cellebrations. In addition to his own church, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Kyvian Patriarchate, leader of the following churches have been invited: the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Moscow Patriarchate, and the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

He made a point of indicating that the UOC-KP Sobor will be defining what Kyivan-Rus was and who are the heirs to historical event which occured 1020 years ago, and not Russia.

Seems like a lot of "scismatics" and "canonical" Orthodox church leaders from around the world will be cellebrating in style this week in Kyiv, and they even invited Lubomyr (Husar) the Greek-Catholic Patriarch too.

12.07.2008, [12:02] // UOC-KP //

Kyiv�The celebration of the 900th anniversary of St. Michael�s Golden-Domed Monastery in Kyiv is to start on 11 July with the opening of a national sobor (council) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patriarchate (UOC-KP). At a press conference on 9 July 2008, the head of the UOC-KP, Patriarch Filaret (Denysenko), stressed that during the sobor an �amendment will be made to the notion of �Rus.�� Patriarch Filaret said that �we should finally dot all the �i�s on what �Rus� is, where it was situated, where it is and what it is.�

The UOC-KP head stressed that he understands well why this idea is so actively opposed by the Russian Orthodox Church, �for which it will be a fiasco.� He expressed his conviction that historic documents and chronicles will allow the truth to be established in this politicized matter.

Patriarch Filaret stated that he, personally, does not consider the 1020th anniversary of the baptism of Rus-Ukraine a great jubilee. In his opinion, it is just another event in religious life. �It is not even the 1050th anniversary. We were prepared to make this step for the sake of unification of all the branches of Orthodoxy into one national church,� noted Patriarch Filaret.

In his opinion, the celebration is closely connected with the main church event of the year, the 900th anniversary of the foundation of St. Michael�s Golden-Domed Monastery, to which Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople is invited. He will head the foreign patriarchal delegation. According to Patriarch Filaret, the heads of the churches of Jerusalem, Alexandria, Crete, Armenia, Georgia and other national Orthodox churches have also been invited to the celebration.

RISU note: �Rus� or �Kyivan-Rus� is the name of the historical territory and medieval state dominated by the city of Kiev from about 880 to around the middle of the 12th century.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 07/13/08 03:39 AM.
M
M
C. I. X.
Why are we Orthodox and Greco Catholics looking for intercommunion as Westerners waiting for a directive from the top? As Easterners we already have a directive from the top in John 17:11. I read of no prohibition of the idea from the E P. There is again a ground swell in Rus� (Ukraine but how about Slovakia, Czech Republic and Poland?). We needs to develop charity at our grass root level, the people's mission field.

There is more than the Holy Eucharist we can commune as Christians with. Neighboring Orthodox and Catholic parishes whether Rusyn, Russian, Ukrainian or whatever can host, visit and support each other with communal dinners, moleban prayer services and joint charitable and educational projects.

Neither side is infallible when it comes to public relations and media miscommunication. It is un-Christian to assume we cannot overcome problems together. Isolation is hardly productive even in a cloister. I assume you are too young to remember the Millennium war of 1988. Soviet disinformation manipulated official Orthodox church perspective to secure a Slavophil reality for the Kyivan Rus� Christendom celebration. Ukrainians both Catholic, Orthodox and even those only cultural rebelled together on a worldwide grass root level, disregarding their cleric�s haughty isolationism. The western media was so impressed with the sheer volume of activity that when the Churches of Ukraine emerged from the catacombs the free press debunked the Soviet misinformation in their reports. Soon after the Godless empire�s smoke screen came tumbling down like Jericho�s walls freeing all the Churches to carry out their evangelical mandate.

Some may see today�s realities in Republics like Ukraine, Slovakia and others problematic. More see it as the continuing work of the Holy Spirit in God�s time. What do we celebrate on the Sunday of Orthodoxy, really? The acceptance of icons by the episcopate and politicians or the ground swell defense of orthodoxy by its faithful and lower clergy? This iconoclast heresy caused a northern migration which in reality Christianized the Slavic lands. The mission witnessed by Ss. Cyril and Methodius was really bi-ritual, as are the missionary saints of Rus�. Saints Apostle Andrew, Pope Clement, Pope Martin, Abbot John Cassian, Evangelist Jerome, Regents Askold and Dai, Queen Ludmilla, King Wenceslaus, Regent Oilha, Monarch Volodymyr, Bishops Adalbert of Magdeburg and Adalbert of Prague, Confessors Boniface-Bruno of Querfurt, Hyacinth, King Danylo, and Edigna of Puch; Ora pro nobis. It is time we rehabilitate Father Jan Hus, our bi-ritual martyr from Protestant assumptions.

Do we really fear a flaw in orthodoxy or a compromise in control? What dogma do either faithful not believe? I am not asking about explaining the Mysteries� workings, which some are arrogant enough to think their limited understanding can comprehend. Again I ask, why do we Easterners wave the vale during the Creed? Surely not only to shoo flies!

Michael

Originally Posted by Mykhayl
C. I. X.
We need to develop charity at our grass root level, the people's mission field.

There is more than the Holy Eucharist we can commune as Christians with. Neighboring Orthodox and Catholic parishes whether Rusyn, Russian, Ukrainian or whatever can host, visit and support each other with communal dinners, moleban prayer services and joint charitable and educational projects.

Neither side is infallible when it comes to public relations and media miscommunication. It is un-Christian to assume we cannot overcome problems together....

Michael

May God grant you many healthy, happy years, Michael. Mnohaya Lita! Blahaya Lita!

-Pustinik
---------------
"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." �St. Serafim of Sarov

H
H
It would appear that the Ukrainian Orthodox Churche's Kyivan Patriarch has invited many foreign Orthodox church leaders to the events taking place in Kyiv Ukraine this week, which include the 900th anniversary of the founding St-Michael's Golden Domed Monastery and the 1020 anniversary of the Baptism of Rus-Ukraine�

Seems like a lot of "scismatics" and "canonical" Orthodox church leaders from around the world will be cellebrating in style this week in Kyiv, and they even invited Lubomyr (Husar) the Greek-Catholic Patriarch too.

I am really confused as to what exactly is to happen for the clebrations of the 1020th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus.
I have read so many conflicting reports.

For example, I thought it was President Yushchenko who issued the invitations to the leaders of the Orthodox churches and their delegations to attend.
Then I also read that a second invitation was sent to the same church leaders by the Patriarch of Moscow.
Now I am reading on this forum that there is a third set of invitations issued by the Kyivan Patriarch.

Adding to the mystery is a report of the program for these celebrations or where these celebrations will take place.

Today I read on another forum that there will be an outdoor celebration on the St. Sophia "maidan" (city square in front of the Cathedral) this coming Sunday dedicated to the 1020th anniversary of Baptism of Kyivan Rus'. But the rest of the celebrations remain a mystery to me.

Any accurate and clear information and the scheduled program will be greatly appreciated by me.

J
OP Offline
J
Halia -

It would appear that the festivities marking the 900th anniversary of St-Michael's Golden Dome Monastery will take place on the grounds of that Kyivan Patriarchate institution. From my understanding, the four 'rightfull heirs' to the See of St-Volodymyr have been invited by the UOC-KP and will be present including; the UAOC, the UOC-KP, and the UGCC.

Since Ukrainian independance in 1991, the UOC-MP has done everything possible to take possesion of the Mother of All Ukrainian Cathedrals - The St-Sophia. UGCC Patriarch Lubomyr has on many occassions publicly told the Ukrainian government that this Cathedral should only be returned to a United Ukrainian Orthodox Church. The St-Sophia remains 'state property' and as such of a neutral denomination.

http://www.ukraine-voyage.com/images/sofia%20big.jpg

President Yuschenko has invited all 'four heirs' to 'the See of St-Volodymyr' to celebrate the Millennium (+20) of Christianity in Ukraine. The celebrations will take place in the 'denomination neutral' St-Sophia so that no one denomination can claim that they are hosting the event.

As UOC-KP Filaret mentions, the only reason the Ukrainians decided to celebrate the 1020 year is because the Mosccow Patriarch attempted to usurp the 1000 events to which he had no right (given that even Muscovy and Moscow did not exist at the time of Volodymyr the Great).

President Yuschenko in article (see last appended one) pays homage to the late Pope John Paul II for the fact that he cancelled his trip to Moscow in 1988 and instead met with thousands of Ukrainians in Rome. He even praises UGCC Metropolitan Adrey (Sheptytskyj). His main focuss is on the memory of the many lost souls, including the large number of clergy from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church who lost their live in the 'Sokoli' Island Gulag.

The Ukrainian President forgot to pay homage to the Ecumenical Patriarch who also did not travel to Moscow and instead met with a delegation of the Ukrainian Youth Association (SUM / CYM) who travelled from Rome where the 'main' events were taking place. Incidentally, members of SUM / CYM presented both the Holy Father and the Ecumenical Patriarch with identical gifts which were 'Hutsul' (Carpathian Mountain People) wooden plates. I tried to post the picture on this web site a few days ago, but guess for whatever reason it did not make the 'cut'.

Here are some reference articles. I hope your Ukrainian is good:

http://www.day.kiev.ua/204295/

http://www.umoloda.kiev.ua/number/1201/180/42642/

http://presscenter.ukrinform.com/photo_big.php?person_id=15

http://www.umoloda.kiev.ua/number/1203/163/42710/

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 07/15/08 04:00 AM.
M
M
C. I. X.

�Any accurate and clear information and the scheduled program will be greatly appreciated by me.� Quote Halia

Again and again we are looking at a multi-ritual �so-bor-nu-yu Tser-kow� activity from a Western perspective, as if everything is orchestrated from Central Committee. In a family wedding several families, the wedding couple and their attendance can work independently together sponsoring showers, rehearsal dinners, ceremony, reception and after-parties. Some may receive invitations to all the event, others only a couple or one. Why would anyone expect a celebration by Europe�s largest all-inclusive country be any different?

In 1988 this �Millennium of Rus'-Ukrainian Christendom� developed into a free-for-all when one side tried to usurp control and the other side isolated themselves unable to consolidate control. The faithful assumed a mystical mandate as if they were the Ukrainian state department and diversely collaborated promoting truth as they knew it. It had to be directed by the Holy Spirit because it worked. Twenty years later we expect a single official mandate? C^ABA YKPAIHA!

Last edited by Mykhayl; 07/15/08 04:55 AM.
C. I. X.
We need to develop charity at our grass root level, the people's mission field.

Neither side is infallible when it comes to public relations and media miscommunication. It is un-Christian to assume we cannot overcome problems together....

Michael

Tak pravda, brat' Mykhail. We already have joint Panakhydas and Molebens with the Ukrainian Orthodox, whether that be a commemoration of the Holodomor or for a prominent member of the community, whether Greek Catholic or Orthodox. Or for the intentions of President Yushchenko, whatever the occasion may be. The UOC had a Panakhyda for Pope John Paul II, we had one for Bishop Vsevelod. I get asked to go to the Ukrainian Orthodox graves for Provody every year. We can go on and on.

I don't know of any two other Catholic and Orthodox churches that have this level of prayer in common. It is indeed our common Kyivan heritage which forms a very deep bond between us. Something much deeper than nationalism, as we contemplate this day (New Calendar) of the Equal-to-the-Apostles Volodymyr.

Back to the thread topic - I eagerly await His Holiness' proclamation, as almost assuredly it will be completely acceptable to us in the UGCC as well as the UAOC.

Such a welcome breath of fresh air from the recent MP Sobor where the primary topics dealing with the UOC-MP seemed to be (1) don't pray with Uniates; (2) don't talk about the Holodomor; and (3) no way will there be autocephaly for the UOC-MP.

J
OP Offline
J
The paragraph in which President Yuschenko praises Pope John Paul II for his tireless efforts in restoring a 'Kyivan-Centric Rus Christianity' is quite eloquent. The Ukrainian President does not 'mince words' when it comes to the collaboration of the Russian Orthodox Church with the Communists - and it's inability to atone for the past sins towards the Christians of Ukraine.

Although not mentioned in his speach, this phrase concerning the Russian Orthodox Church from of poem of Taras Shevchenko (The 19th century Bard of Ukraine) comes to mind when I read that part of the Ukrainian president's speach:

This tomb of a church
Will fall into ruin....And from beneath it
Ukraine will arise
And Disperse the gloom of slavery,
A world of truth will shine forth,
And the children of slaves
Will worship in freedom.

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 07/15/08 06:00 AM.
O
O
It appears that the Ecumenical Patriarch will not be concelebrating with the KP. But this is from an Interfax source so who knows what the truth is?
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=4937

As I said before I think it was wise of President Yushchenko to make these celebrations a state function because that way he could control who is invited.

15 July 2008, 12:26
Patriarch Bartholomew won't celebrate divine services with Kiev schismatics

Kiev, July 15, Interfax - Representatives of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople have demanded to exclude participation of "hierarchs" of the self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate in the celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism.

The Ukrainian Church Department for External Relations Archimandrite Kirill (Hovorun) tells it in his article in the official website of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on the results of the recent visit of the Constantinople representatives to Kiev.

Istanbul guests reminded that Patriarch Bartholomew recognized only Metropolitan Vladimir as the primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.

When in Ukraine, the Constantinople Patriarchate representatives more than once stressed that schismatics should not participate in the same events with Patriarch Bartholomew and Metropolitan Vladimir, Fr. Kirill writes.

J
OP Offline
J
Interfax the Soviet News Agency turned Russian News Agency.

Do I need to say more ?

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 07/15/08 09:16 PM.
The following website, probably known to many, continues to have credible reports on Ukrainian religious affairs across the various confessional lines.

http://www.risu.org.ua/eng/

http://www.risu.org.ua/eng/news/2008/july/

-Pustinik
----------------------------
"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." �St. Serafim of Sarov

A
A
If the Ecumenical Patriarch concelebrates with Patriarch Filaret, that will CERTAINLY result in a schism in World Orthodoxy. I could not conceive of either Patriarch Bartholomew I or the Holy Father, Benedict XVI, wanting that.

FYI: Just because something is printed by Interfax doesn't mean it is false. For that matter, as we have just seen recently, just because RISU publishes something doesn't mean it is correct. Or ar all Ukrainians good and all Russians evil?

J
OP Offline
J
Asiapilgrim seem to have a difficult time understanding the posts. Perhaps it would be best if the specific points were broken down:

(1) The Ecumenical Patriarch will be celebrating with Patriarch Filaret.

(2) UGCC Patriarch Lubomyr will attend with the full blessing of the Holy Father.

(3) Further many Orthodox hierarchs will be joining them.

(4) So far there has been no division in World Orthodoxy.

Further, I'm glad to hear that you feel Interfax is a reliable source of news information. Most people don't. Whereas, RISU is an acredited news bureau of the Ukrainian Catholic University and in keeping with good journalism ethics, it is always mindful of it's sources and the accuracy of the content of it's stories.

I.F.

I.F.

A
A
Further, I'm glad to hear that you feel Interfax is a reliable source of news information. Most people don't. Whereas, RISU is an acredited news bureau of the Ukrainian Catholic University and in keeping with good journalism ethics, it is always mindful of it's sources and the accuracy of the content of it's stories.

Jean Francois;

I did not say that Interfax "is a reliable source of news information". I DID say that I don't think it publishes 100% lies. Don't put words into my mouth.

Is RISU reliable? 99% of the time, perhaps, yes. But if the recent fiasco about the "double communion" is any indication, RISU is not infallible. I have every right to be angry about RISU's mistaken reporting because I was one of those who believed it and publicized it on Rorate Caeli. And from there, it spread to several Catholic websites that normally don't even bother to report on the Eastern front. In short: I believed RISU uncritically, and my reputation took a hit because of that.

As for the concelebration of the EP and the UOC-KP with the UGCC present, I simply don't believe it will happen. The mere fact that the EP has so recently slammed down any talk of "double communion" confirms me in my opinion. At the very least, UGCC won't be there. We'd all love them to be there, no doubt, as we would dearly love to see Patriarch Lubomyr enthroned in St. Sophia, but alas, reality seems to indicate otherwise.

As for "schism", there is no schism yet because there has been no concelebration between Patriarchs Filaret and Bartholomew yet. If ever it happens, I do not see how Russia and its daughter churches (the seven autonomous churches of the MP, plus Poland, Czechia and Slovakia and OCA) as well as its traditional allies, Georgia and Serbia, will retain communion with the EP (and vice versa). After all, the MP already struck Patriarch Bartholomew from the diptychs in 1996 over the far smaller question of Estonia.

Well, let us see. July 27-28 is near enough. Soon enough, either you or me will be eating crow. And if the concelebration occurs, I will certainly report it and comment on its earthshaking implications.

By the way, the anti-Russian sentiment here is really getting poisonous. I agree that the Russians have committed egregious errors in the past and are taking some very hardline stances at present. But to keep painting them in the worst possible light and to always portray them as liars is simply beyond the bounds of Christian decency.

Do not let the love of Ukraine blind you all to Catholic charity.

Last edited by asianpilgrim; 07/16/08 06:05 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.