The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Tim #295757 07/21/08 09:51 PM
Is there a huge difference between Old Church Slavonic and Ukrainian? I remember reading that Russian evolved from OCS. Is Ukrainian similar in this regards? If so, if one were to study OCS would they be able to follow the Divine Liturgy at a Ukrainian service?

"Huge" I don't know; but as with any modern regional development of a proto-language there will be many differences, not only in vocabulary but also in grammar (and sometimes even in pronunciation). Whether its Ukrainian and OCS or Italian and Latin this generally holds true.

You won't find much OCS in UGCC parishes anymore outside of very select feast days or services(Holy Week, Pascha, etc.) That being said it certainly never hurts to study OCS if for no other reason to be able to use and read the original Rome texts of the Rescension.

But if you are looking to be able to sing and participate in the Divine Liturgy at a Ukrainian Greek Catholic parish, Ukrainian is likely the first you will want to consider.

Diak #296353 07/30/08 05:35 PM
L
OP Offline
L

I now also have a copy of The North American Transliteration Of The Byzantine Mass published by the Icon Press.

First translation difference I've noticed already are the words "now and forever and ever" in the Ukrainian Catholic Rite booklet, it's written as "ee na veeki veechnee" while in the Byzantine Mass it's "i na viky vikiw" Obviously the pronounciation of the first 3 words is identical, but why is it "veechnee" in one and "vikiw" in the other.

T
T
Russian didn't "evolve" from Church Slavonic.

Church Slavonic is related to Bulgarian and Macedonian. It evolved from Old Church Slavonic, which was the language of Cyril and Methodius.

Church Slavonic was used as a literary language long before the rise of vernacular Slavic languages, but is a separate language from Russian or Ukrainian.

Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusyn and Rusyn are Eastern Slavic languages.

F
F
Tim is correct - Church-Slavonic did not evolve from either Russian or Ukrainian or Belarusyn, nor did any of them evolve from Church-Slavonic.

So far as I know, no one has yet done a serious etymological study of the collection of dialects sometimes called "Rusyn". But it's possible - there was some interest during the Soviet period. One would need to check the publications of the Ukrainian Academy of Arts and Sciences. The other possibility is the former Yugoslavia - which recognized "Rusyn" as a distinct language. There may be some published studies there (in what language, I couldn't even guess).

Back to my broken record - it is infinitely easier to learn the Ukrainian-Cyrillic alphabet (it took me one afternoon) than to drive yourself and everyone else crazy with transliterations. Bite the bullet, learn the alphabet, and life will settle down to smaller worries.

Fr. Serge

M
M
Hello Lawrence, Did you in fact get a transliteration of the Ukrainian, for this Divine liturgy, or can you point me to one online? I also need one (although as has been mentioned in other posts, I personally *can* read and pronounce cyrillic, but others in the choir cannot). Thank you in advance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.