The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Amadeus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
British government drafts proposal to allow royal succession to Catholics

London, Sep 26, 2008 / 02:55 am (CNA).- The British government has drafted a proposal to end the 300-year-old legal exclusion of Catholics from the British throne. MP Chris Bryant, under instructions from British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, has written a planned parliamentary act to revoke the exclusions.

Rest of the story:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=13903

O
O
So far it's a proposal - not a done deed .

And the wheels move exceedingly slowly on things like this.

F
F
I certainly hope that they do change this discriminatory law.

Now if only they would just reinstate the Stuarts. smile

Personally, I'd be willing to wait until the present August Holder of the Throne departs this life to her reward. I do rather like that particular 'Windsor'. That's what they are referring to themselves now as, isn't it? grin

Fr David Straut

A
Amadeus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Dear Anhelyna:

Yes, it is merely a proposal and it is being thrown to the kingdom's "loyal" subjects for reaction before it is presented to the parliament.

At least, the current government has the gall to start the ball rolling!

Surely, it will take some time (perhaps another 300 years?) before this proposal becomes an Act of Parliament.

But the Act of Settlement of 1701 and all the other acts of parliament, which excluded Catholics from succession to the British throne, are unmistakenly discriminatory. As a bastion of parliamentary democracy, the UK should, and must, repeal these laws.

Warmest regards,

Amado

A
Amadeus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Dear Fr. David:

I have to confess that I always thought your family name was spelled "Stuart" and not "Straut!" grin

Asking for your blessings,

Amado

J
J
Don't bet your lunch money that this will open up the doors to a Catholic sitting on the British throne. This will also open the door to Muslims and other non Christian faiths being married to a monarch.

I.F.

Could it be because one of the 'Royals' is dating a Catholic?

O
O
Nope .

That happened a while back and she converted to the Anglican Church so her husband could retain his eligibility to ascend the Throne

L
L
And I guess the Duchess of Kent would be put back in the the line of succession, as will all of the other royals who converted to the Catholic Faith or married a Catholic.

If the Muslims get their own Shari'a law in Britain, this seems like no biggie (you'd think).

Alexis

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
They'd better move quickly. If they don't they won't be able to seat anyone on the throne, because there won't be any more Anglicans around!

Dn. Robert

O
O
biggrin

F
F
Dear Father David,

How very pleasant to find another Stuart Legitimist amongst us! Send him (King Albert, that is) victorious, happy and glorious . . .

Metropolitan Kallistos, as you may know, keeps a photograph of the King on his office wall.

In the immortal word of Charles I: "REMEMBER!"

fraternally in Christ,

Fr. Serge

To whom it may concern: several posters seem to be under the impression that the Hanoverian legislation requires that the King and heir(s) be Anglicans. This is incorrect. That legislation only excludes Catholics. One can be an atheist, a Muslim, a Tibetan Buddhist, a Bahai, or a worshipper of Ashtaroth and still hold or inherit the pretended crown without any religious difficulty.

All of the Stuart heirs from James III until today have been Catholics, and are therefore excluded by the Hanoverian legislation. Never mind; the Royal Palace in Munich and the Royal Palace in Vaduz are quite comfortable!

Domine, salvum fac . . .

Fr. Serge

I read a while ago that Charles Prince of Wales was considering converting to Orthodoxy, or at least held an interest in it. No doubt stemming somewhat from his father.

This has come up before...the attitude the last time seemed to be that they would worry about it when the issue came up, if Prince William or Prince Harry decide to marry a Catholic woman... I have a feeling the outcome will be the same this time around as well.

Originally Posted by Fr David Straut
I certainly hope that they do change this discriminatory law.

Now if only they would just reinstate the Stuarts. smile

Personally, I'd be willing to wait until the present August Holder of the Throne departs this life to her reward. I do rather like that particular 'Windsor'. That's what they are referring to themselves now as, isn't it? grin

Fr David Straut

Fr David...
were you aware that William and Harry are descended from Charles II, through their mum? Unfortunately, they descend from the wrong side of the blanket as their mom was the "Catholic Mistress" - Louise de Keroualle. Since the present Stuart heir is not in the direct line, would not William suffice as a Stuart heir?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.