The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
F
In practice there are quite a few dual citizens of Ireland and the USA. Most of us are descended from people who moved to the USA before Ireland was recognized as a nation - and our grandparents were able to renounce "allegiance" to the British with enthusiasm and joy!

I've never run across a case of any American government body or even any public official challenging dual citizenship involving Ireland and the USA. If someone had wanted to make an issue of it, the most probable time would have been the days of the Vietnam War, when young men seeking to avoid conscription in the USA took Irish passports. But that was never challenged either.

Fr. Serge

L
L
Alice said: What about the fact that President and Senator Clinton both strongly, on television (Larry King Live), supported the evidence and were in favor of the war in Iraq? Are they Republicans?

Alice, I think the difference is that most Democrats who voted for the War have admitted that they made a mistake, while the Bush Administration still insists it was the right choice.

Alexis

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
I misspoke. The first candidate supports the "right" to kill these older people, but has vowed, convincingly in my opinion, to work towards diminishing these numbers as much as possible without taking the "right" away.

Alexis

A better way to put it would be the first candidate vows to uphold the right to kill 75+ year-olds and push the limit younger and younger. shocked

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
By the way, my vote doesn't count. I live in Illinois and a vote for McCain, Paul, Keyes, Putin, Sarkozy, etc... won't make a difference compared to the 10,000,000 people who live in that Megalopolis in the northeast corner of my state that will be voting for Obama (this includes the living, the dead, and the imaginary who will be voting for him.)

I'm voting 3rd party so as to support neither party.

Remember that country we fought so hard to get away from? They have more of a representation in their government than we do. We only have one more viable party than China does. smirk

K
K
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric
[quote=Logos - Alexis]I misspoke. The first candidate supports the "right" to kill these older people, but has vowed, convincingly in my opinion, to work towards diminishing these numbers as much as possible without taking the "right" away.

Alexis

------------------------------------

Alexis,

I do apologize, but the very fact that he supports this "killing of older people" makes a mockery of his attempt to "diminish" the numbers.

If I said, "I support the right to kill white people, but I'm going to try and diminish these numbers by getting universal health care, and bettering the environment...blah, blah, blah.", I would hope I would be taken to an insane asylum for treatment. confused

Truly I wish there was a better candidate than McCain on the republican ticket, but alas there isn't. I think Keyes could trounce Obama any day of the week.

A brother in Christ,
Aaron

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Krotoski
Truly I wish there was a better candidate than McCain on the republican ticket, but alas there isn't. I think Keyes could trounce Obama any day of the week.

A brother in Christ,
Aaron

Unfortunately, Keyes was defeated by Obama over the senate seat.

I agree with Keyes on certain things, but he is too temperamental to run for national office, IMHO.

God bless,

FrDD

J
J
By the way, my vote doesn't count. I live in Illinois and a vote for McCain, Paul, Keyes, Putin, Sarkozy, etc... won't make a difference compared to the 10,000,000 people who live in that Megalopolis in the northeast corner of my state that will be voting for Obama (this includes the living, the dead, and the imaginary who will be voting for him.)

I'm voting 3rd party so as to support neither party.

Remember that country we fought so hard to get away from? They have more of a representation in their government than we do. We only have one more viable party than China does. smirk

Dr. Eric, in 99.999999999999% of elections no one's vote individually counts. In order for your vote to count, it would have to come down to Illinois being the deciding state and then your candidate would have to win by 1 vote. The truth is that every single person who posts in this forum could stay home on election day and it wouldn't make one bit of difference (with regard to the result anyway). I vote for my own sake, to express my conscience but I do not believe that I'm making any difference.

Joe

Last edited by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy; 10/17/08 07:11 PM.
K
K
FrDD,

I do remember Keyes being the challenger to Obama, but I thought it was more or less a, "let's try this" by the GOP, no??

You're right, Keyes is tempermental, but I think his views are more consistent than anybody else's out there and I would agree with him more than McCain I believe.

Here's a link to some of Keye's key beliefs: http://www.americasrevival.com/issues_list.php#abortion

In Christ,
Aaron

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Joe,

My point was that even if I were to vote for McCain just to keep Obama from winning Illinois. My vote wouldn't do a bit of good as all the living, dead, and imaginary will be voting for Obama up there by the lake.

God Bless You,

Eric

PS I will not be voting for McCain. Meh.......

Last edited by Dr. Eric; 10/17/08 08:25 PM.
M
M
That will happen in Ohio too thanks to Acorn! My Grandmother of blessed memory said there is no such thing as an honest Chicago politician.

OP Offline
My vote wouldn't do a bit of good as all the living, dead, and imaginary will be voting for Obama up there by the lake.

LOL! Ah yes - voting post-mortem...

Truly a Chicago Democratic tradition...which gives a whole new meaning to Chesterton's definition of "tradition" as "the democracy of the dead!"

FrDD

F
F
Chicago, Chicago . . . it's a wonderful town!

T
T
The 'natural born citizen' law seems a little silly.

Anyway the furore about Obama seems another jibe at his foreign name. (When I first heard it I thought he was one of those ethnic-pride blacks who changed his name on becoming a Muslim.)

Think about it: why on earth would a nine-months-pregnant woman go through the two ordeals of flying on a plane to a Third World country to give birth? Of course he was born in America.

I understand both the UK and Ireland have windows for grandchildren of immigrants to apply for citizenship, the Irish one being longer so as Father said many Americans use that. Which is probably wonderful now: access to the whole EU including the UK.

A
A
Originally Posted by MrsMW
That will happen in Ohio too thanks to Acorn! My Grandmother of blessed memory said there is no such thing as an honest Chicago politician.

Would that it were not so... Alas, I have seen with my own eyes, Acorn rounding 'em up here during Ohio's election month... The van will take you to get registered and then to "Early vote" right at the same time.

Homeless are welcome: free cookies and milk!

M
M
If Obama wins it will be because Catholics don't care about abortion. When will the bishops stop talking about denying Holy Communion and start doing it?

If this were a Republican group they would have put tham all in jail by now.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.