The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Dear Friends,

The site of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Moscow Patriarchate mentions that New Martyrs of Khelm or Kholm were recently glorified.

On June 7-8 at Khelm which is today part of Poland there were celebrations to mark the canonization of the Holy Orthodox New Martyrs of Kholm and Pidliassia.

On March 20, 2003, the Sobor of the Hierarchs of the Polish Orthodox Church canonized these eight New Martyrs among others:

Venerable-Martyr Ignatius from the Yablochynsky Monastery of St Onuphrius;
Hieromartyr Basil Martysh, Priest
Hieromartyr Leo Korobchuk, Priest
Hieromartyr Nicholas Holts, Priest
Hieromartyr Sergius Zakharchuk, Priest,
Hieromartyr Peter Ohrizhko, Priest
Hieromartyr Paul Shvayko, Priest and his Presbytera, Ivanna

They all died as martyrs for the Orthodox Faith between 1942-1945 near the towns of Hrubeshiv and Zamost.

The Divine Liturgy in honour of the New Martyrs of Kholm was served by His Beatitude the Metropolitan of Warsaw and all Poland, Vladyka Sava, who is himself from Kholm.

The feast day of the New Martyrs of Kholm is to be observed annually on the first Sunday of June.

I would like to publicly thank the Rev. Subdeacon Peter Siwicky for so kindly sending me the Akathist, in two languages, to the Mother of God of Kholm!

Two Lungs beat me to this - but at least I had to translate from the Russian ! smile

Alex

D
D
Originally posted by Orthodox Catholic:

I would like to publicly thank the Rev. Subdeacon Peter Siwicky for so kindly sending me the Akathist, in two languages, to the Mother of God of Kholm!
Have you forgotten about Akathist to St. Onuphrios
and some other stuff? wink

Actually, all those items are only a tiny and partial reward for the Ukrainian text of St. James
Liturgy you sent me. So you're not in debt, definitely. smile

Sincerely,
subdeacon Peter

???? Since when does a Subdeacon (or Reader or Altar Server for that matter) have the title "Reverend" affixed before his name so casually? This is *not* the practice in the Eastern Orthodox Church, no matter how revered such Subdeacon (or Reader or Altar Server) for that matter may be. And the Subdeacon in question, OTOH, never even pointed out to the one who referred to himself as such that he would not be entitled to be styled "Reverend" unless he were at least a Deacon. Is this a practice of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in contrast to that of the Eastern Orthodox Church then? An inquiring Eastern Orthodox Catholic (not wanting to be a smart alex) would like to know. Yes, a little off topic, but something I've noticed quite frequently in this forum.

OrthodoxEast

Is a "Synaxis" icon of the newly-Glorified Orthodox Martyrs of Chelm and Podlasia available online anywhere yet, does anyone know?

OrthodoxEast

C
C
Originally posted by OrthodoxEast:
Is a "Synaxis" icon of the newly-Glorified Orthodox Martyrs of Chelm and Podlasia available online anywhere yet, does anyone know?

OrthodoxEast
http://www.orthodox.pl/tymczas/meczennicy.htm

D
D
???? Since when does a Subdeacon (or Reader or Altar Server for that matter) have the title "Reverend" affixed before his name so casually? This is *not* the practice in the Eastern Orthodox Church, no matter how revered such Subdeacon (or Reader or Altar Server) for that matter may be. And the Subdeacon in question, OTOH, never even pointed out to the one who referred to himself as such that he would not be entitled to be styled "Reverend" unless he were at least a Deacon. Is this a practice of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in contrast to that of the Eastern Orthodox Church then? An inquiring Eastern Orthodox Catholic (not wanting to be a smart alex) would like to know. Yes, a little off topic, but something I've noticed quite frequently in this forum.
Well, I am not sure whether I'm entitled to
wrote about titles in English. My opinion is that
lower clergy (lectors and subdeacons) should
be adressed "Brother", while deacons and priests
- "Father". I have inserted such a norm into my
project of eparchial law on minor clergy and deacons. My project has been approved by the pastoral committee, but our Metropolitan hasn't
given his approval yet. He hasn't rejected it either. wink

subdeacon Peter

Subdeacon Peter, Chwala Jezusa Chrystusa!

In Polish, "reverend" is rendered "wielebny."

OrthodoxEast

D
D
An additional comment about the Orthodox practice:
they usually have no "permanent" or "semi-permanent" lower clergy, at least here. So their
customs could be hardly followed.

Subdeacon Peter

D
D
Subdeacon Peter, Chwala Jezusa Chrystusa!
In Polish, "reverend" is rendered "wielebny."
Yes, Polish "wielebny" means (approximately wink )
English "Reverend".
But "Chwala Jezusa Chrystusa" means only:
"glory OF Jesus Christ". No one uses such greeting phrase, since it makes no sense in greeting context. The correct form would be "Chwala Jezusowi Chrystusowi", but nobody uses
such greeting either. Roman Catholics use "Niech bedzie pochwalony Jezus Chrystus" or "Szczesc Boze". Eastern Chrustians, even while speaking in
Polish, use "Slava Isusu Khrystu!".

Sincerely,
subdeacon Peter

Brother Subdeacon Peter, Chwala Jezusa Chrystusa!

*Dziekuje bardzo* for the Synaxis Icon of the Holy New Martyrs of Chelm and Podlasie (and your English is excellent, btw)! I shall use it as my welcoming plate for the Regional All Saints' Day one week from tomorrow (also will be the Feast of Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, n.s., but I don't have an icon of Ss. Peter and Paul yet). Witaja!

OrthodoxEast

Dear Brother Subdeacon Peter, Slava Isusu Christu!

Thank you for the correction of my poor Polish--I have no one, except at church--and then I'm embarrassed because I've forgotten so much--with whom I may speak Polish. At my church one hears mostly English and Russian, but also a considerable amount of Byelorussian, Ukrainian, Polish and Serbian at Trapeza after Sunday Liturgy! Our new priest, 29 years old, is from Tula, Russia,and has been in the USA as a Deacon with Matushka only since 1997. He was ordained to the Holy Priesthood only in December 2002, specifically to serve our parish and speaks English with a heavy Russian accent.

OrthodoxEast

Chtec, thank you so much for posting the link to the icon of the Synaxis of the Orthodox New Martyrs of Chelm and Podlasie!!! I'm busily rushing all over the place today thanking the wrong people, forgive me! I need to get ready shortly for Vespers, and I still have so much to do beforehand at home and at the market--I really need to get off my computer!

In Christ God,
OrthodoxEast

Brethern in Christ,

Thank you all for making this 1/2 Polski biggrin .

Pokoj,
james

OP Offline
Dear OrthodoxEast,

Niech bedzie pochwalony Jezus Christus!

Sorry if I upset you by calling Subdeacon Peter "Reverend."

That was on my own initiative, there is no ruling by our Patriarch on that wink .

I'm always looking for ways to honour and reverence the members of Clergy!

Doesn't everyone?

Alex

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.