The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#303513 11/05/08 05:20 AM
OP Offline

Yes...I heard John McCain's concession speech.

Truthfully, I feel like assuming the fetal position...a very dangerous position indeed in the upcoming Obama administration.

Lord have mercy...

Fr Deacon Daniel

It begins...

Jakub. #303516 11/05/08 05:35 AM
"Remember, Lord, our most faithful and pious public authorities which You have counted worthy to be appointed over this land: crown them with the armor of truth, with the armor of glory; cover their heads on the day of battle, strengthen their arm, exalt their right hand, establish power. Subdue to them barbarous nations that delight in war; grant them deep peace that cannot be taken away; speak good things to their hearts for your Church and all your people, that within their peace we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. Remember, Lord, all lawmakers and magistrates and our brethren in public office and in all the Armed Forces: preserve the good in their goodness, and in your kindness, make the wicked become good"(From the commemorations of the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil the Great).

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Lord have mercy...[Linked Image]

UGHHHHHH,

J
J
Remember that is it the Lord who puts rulers in power and removes them from power. Trust in God's providence.

Joe

Originally Posted by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy
Remember that is it the Lord who puts rulers in power and removes them from power. Trust in God's providence.

Joe

Joe,

In principle, I agree. But in salvation history, the Lord would often in HIs permissive will "appoint" leaders who were more of a punishment for His people - to refine them and to be an reflection of their iniquity in order to call them to repentance.

The history of the 20th century demonstrates this pattern in spades, particularly in Western Europe.

I hope and pray for this man's conversion on issues of principle. He has been shaped by views that are generally hostile to certain Christian principles, and he is beholden politically to those who advocate for these views. Let us hope that his governance is strong enough to resist these elements. I have strong doubts in this regard, yet I can still - and must - hope.

God bless,

Fr. Deacon Daniel

Originally Posted by ebed melech
Yes...I heard John McCain's concession speech.

Truthfully, I feel like assuming the fetal position...a very dangerous position indeed in the upcoming Obama administration.

Lord have mercy...

Fr Deacon Daniel

I couldn't agree more! Hospodi Pomiluj!... 40 times! frown

S
Cantor
Cantor
S
Originally Posted by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy

Joe

Given the choice of "leaders" we have seen over the centuries, does the Lord put them into power, or does He let us excercise our free will in choosing our leaders? Since we are free to choose whether to worship God or deny Him, (with ramifications) we are also free to choose whom we elect (also with ramifications). Rather than presume the Lord has punished us by our poor judgement in character, we should look into our own motives as a society at the choices we make in electing our leaders.

I'm glad I did NOT vote for our most recent President Elect, #44!

I am glad I did not vote for him either and will not be on my conscience however as a people we will have to endure as a nation the results of the wishes of the majority of the populace and it is very depressing that they have made such a bad choice. However I also know God`s will be done. We must pray very hard and be prepared for a rough road ahead and continue to do what we can individually and in groups such as Priests For Life to try and counteract whatever the future presidency has in store for us on the pro-life area. Yes we must pray for Obama that some of his positions will soften. I have my doubts though that they will.

I will have to think about where I may work if the American oil industry crashes. I hope that the company I work for will maintain its international customers.

"HIs permissive will 'appoint' leaders who were more of a punishment for His people"

Must we be so punished?

Lord have mercy...

I was talking to a VERY holy Orthodox cleric today about other matters..In the course of our conversation, he said privately that although it is not his business to talk about politics, that he is VERY scared of Obama. He said that he will bring to the U.S. a form of communism, and that he is not what he is presenting himself to be...that there is something he is hiding.

Well-we definitely know what is *not* being hidden, but people don't care. I believe that most Americans do not vote intelligently...I know that I didn't when I was a young adult, and I know that too many young adults today do not...then ofcourse there is the race factor and voting for someone of your own race just because they are your own race. Ofcourse there is also the 'we will fix Bush' voters, who simply vote for the opposite party, no matter who the candidate is, to make a statement against the highly demonized current President.

I know people that have read his book, in order to be informed, and so that they will not just vote, or not vote, on the likability or racial factor, and have been quite fearful of what he himself wrote.

On the other hand, we also now know that you can have a crazy spiritual mentor who says 'God damn America' and jumps up and down screaming other such nonsense, and no one will care about that either, if they 'like' you...The days of saint like Christian men like Billy Graham having a spiritual influence over our leaders is over.

This has nothing to do with him being a democrat. I rather wish that Hilary Clinton were celebrating tonight her victory for the Democrats tonight instead.

Lord have mercy....

Alice #303534 11/05/08 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Alice
This has nothing to do with him being a democrat. I rather wish that Hilary Clinton were celebrating tonight her victory for the Democrats tonight instead.

Amen, Alice. I think even the Clinton's are scared of this man.

I feel as if we have elected the Weatherman Underground 2.0. And the Fourth Estate did a complete disservice to our nation by protecting him from scrutiny.

The only measure (albeit very small) of satisfaction that I have is that an African-American has attained the highest office in the land. Insofar as this is a great accomplishment for our nation, I am gratified. But that, I'm afraid, is as far as it goes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.