The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by DewiMelkite
It saddens me when I hear how many catholics voted for obama. Prop 8 has passed here in cali tho, thanks mainly to the funding of mormons and The knights of Columbus.
All that hard work...congratulations to all of you who fought so hard...sadly, Nancy Pelosi and co. will probably make short work of Prop 8 as soon at the new President takes office.

B
B
I didn't vote for Obama, but I do understand why McCain was defeated. The current administration and the Republicans in Congress have been inept beyond belief. Mr. Obama should send President Bush a thank you note.

byzanTN #303602 11/05/08 10:53 PM
I'm very happy and proud to say I voted for him! I have a feeling he will turn out to be one of our greatest presidents. I'm just hoping he and the rest of the Democrats will have enough power to reverse the numerous failings of the Bush regime.

Greatest in what way?

F
F
The campaign is over, the election is over, Barack Obama is the President-Elect, and it is time to realize that whatever anyone may think of him, he will soon be the President and much more that his personal fate will depend upon him. Hence, may I suggest abandoning invective and emotionalism, expressing opposition sparingly and in the normal ways of educated people, and remembering that while the USA is not the Promised Land, the world is better off for America's presence.

Pray for the country, pray for the President, who certainly will need it, and don't give people the impression that one is planning to tear down the White House brick by brick. Strive to build, not burn.

Or such is my advice at the moment. Even if you feel that you must leave the country, do so, but then remember that when a gentleman feels compelled to divorce his wife, all that he ever says about her is "she is a wonderful woman; I'm so sorry that it didn't work out." People will know exactly what you really mean, fear not.

Fr. Serge

A
Roman Catholic
Roman Catholic
A
We must cling to the church and implore God's mercy for our fellow country men have ushered in an era of the culture of death now Satan has a friend in the white house the entire world is enveloped in evil I fear the church will once again fall under wide spread persecution I fear for the country the church and souls we must fight back

Diak #303635 11/06/08 06:03 AM
In my opinion I think I have more respect for Obama than Rush Limbaugh. The hatred spewed turns me off!

Our nation elected Obama; now we have to live with him. Perhaps this saying is timely:

If you were accused of being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

Paul B #303636 11/06/08 06:15 AM
Even though I did not vote for him (Or McCain I'm a proud Libertarian voted Bob Barr, but lest I digress)I am getting tired of Obama being likened to the Anti-Christ, friend of Satan, evil, etc. He is a human being, and as one he is open to receive the grace from God to turn away from many of his policies which we as Christians find to be contrary to our faith. We should be praying for this to happen rather than talking about how screwed everyone is. Pardon my language. Break out the prayers not the vitrol, I think God is more partial to the former than the latter.

U
U
Originally Posted by ebed melech
Yes...I heard John McCain's concession speech.

Truthfully, I feel like assuming the fetal position...a very dangerous position indeed in the upcoming Obama administration.

Lord have mercy...

Fr Deacon Daniel

"Put not your trust in man, but in God, who knows men's hearts."!

Ung

Last edited by Ung-Certez; 11/06/08 09:32 AM.
I agree with Fr Serge's post above. The election is over and Mr Obama is now the President elect of The United States of America. It is time for Americans to unite and start pulling together as a nation. The rest of the world is watching you and taking note of how you behave and the things you say about the man who won. Those who consider themselves the loosers in the election, try to be as gracious as Mr McCain was in his speech to his supporters.

F
F
Originally Posted by Pavel Ivanovich
Those who consider themselves the loosers in the election, try to be as gracious as Mr McCain was in his speech to his supporters.
Sadly, the losers in this election are not McCain and those who voted for him, or even the American people as a whole, but the unborn. How many millions more will die because Barak Obama has been elected by the American people? That is the only reason that I mourn the results of this election. But, whoever the civil authorities are, we have a duty to lift them up to the Lord in prayer. We also have an obligation by prayer and sacrifice to assist the defenseless from those who would destroy them.

Fr David Straut

F
F
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
The campaign is over, the election is over, Barack Obama is the President-Elect, and it is time to realize that whatever anyone may think of him, he will soon be the President and much more that his personal fate will depend upon him. Hence, may I suggest abandoning invective and emotionalism, expressing opposition sparingly and in the normal ways of educated people, and remembering that while the USA is not the Promised Land, the world is better off for America's presence.

Pray for the country, pray for the President, who certainly will need it, and don't give people the impression that one is planning to tear down the White House brick by brick. Strive to build, not burn.

Or such is my advice at the moment. Even if you feel that you must leave the country, do so, but then remember that when a gentleman feels compelled to divorce his wife, all that he ever says about her is "she is a wonderful woman; I'm so sorry that it didn't work out." People will know exactly what you really mean, fear not.

Fr. Serge
Wonderful post. I couldn't agree more.

Fr David Straut

J
J
Originally Posted by christos_anesti
Even though I did not vote for him (Or McCain I'm a proud Libertarian voted Bob Barr, but lest I digress)I am getting tired of Obama being likened to the Anti-Christ, friend of Satan, evil, etc. He is a human being, and as one he is open to receive the grace from God to turn away from many of his policies which we as Christians find to be contrary to our faith. We should be praying for this to happen rather than talking about how screwed everyone is. Pardon my language. Break out the prayers not the vitrol, I think God is more partial to the former than the latter.

Amen, thank you and thank you to Fr. Serge, Alexis Paul B. and others who are also tired of all this right wing hysteria. It amazes me how people can blithely call Obama a servant of Satan and not realize that there may be good reasons for seeing Bush and McCain as servants of Satan as well.

We are not to judge and we are not to bear false witness. I think that Obama's position on abortion is horribly wrong, but I do not know what is in his heart. I do not know whether he finds abortion to be a great thing or a necessary evil. I firmly believe that being prochoice is wrong. But, for many, it is not a moral error but a political. Most people who are pro-choice have a flawed view of the role of government and human freedom, but they are not personally pro-abortion. Also, the vast majority of the American electorate simply wants the abortion issue to go away. For the vast majority of Americans, abortion is not even really a political issue on the table. They vote on economics issues and sometimes foreign policy. That is all that most people care about and there is no reason to think that this is going to change. Now I suppose that I will probably be called Un-Christian, a friend of Satan, and doomed to hell by some folks here and that is fine. Everyone is entitled to his opinion. But I am just sick and tired of the ridiculous, fear-mongering and total hysteria on the part of those who are opposed to Obama. It is one thing to rationally criticize his politics, but another thing to paint him as an evil Marxist, muslim-sympathizing, baby killing, child of the antichrist.

Oh, and I did vote for Obama. I voted for him in spite of his position on abortion because I do not believe that the GOP is serious about making the prolife cause a priority and I'm sending a message to the GOP that they can't take my vote for granted. So, if you want to consider me an agent of Satan then go ahead. Peace and blessings,

Joe

Last edited by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy; 11/06/08 05:04 PM.
In the words of Jesse Ventura, "we have one more choice than Russia". No offense to any Russians...

...just my 2 cents: One side would like to maintain the status quo and keep abortion legal and a choice. The other wants to put soldiers lives in jeopardy to perpetuate a war that has no objective anymore. If one were to vote on only these issues alone, it is a choice of evils. Thankfully, it is NOT just these moral choices that necessarily constitutes a vote.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". I can certainly not judge you, JSMelkite. Nor can I disagree with your stance.

J
J
Originally Posted by stormshadow
In the words of Jesse Ventura, "we have one more choice than Russia". No offense to any Russians...

...just my 2 cents: One side would like to maintain the status quo and keep abortion legal and a choice. The other wants to put soldiers lives in jeopardy to perpetuate a war that has no objective anymore. If one were to vote on only these issues alone, it is a choice of evils. Thankfully, it is NOT just these moral choices that necessarily constitutes a vote.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". I can certainly not judge you, JSMelkite. Nor can I disagree with your stance.

Thank you my friend. God bless you.

Joe

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.