The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#303777 11/07/08 10:25 PM
OP Offline
I am unsure how total prohibition was in this country but did the law have any affect on the use of wine for the liturgy?

DewiMelkite #303778 11/07/08 10:39 PM
E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
There was an exception made right in the text of the amendment for wine that was for sacramental purposes.

To my knowledge, threre were very few cases of clergy abusing this privilege.

Epiphanius #303779 11/07/08 10:44 PM
In some cities permits had to be obtained and the churches were subject to inspection to assure wine was not being "sold on the side" but as Deacon Richard mentions there were in general no major problems or arrests.

Diak #303780 11/07/08 10:45 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, I had always wondered about that! smile

DewiMelkite #303782 11/08/08 02:11 AM
The law recognized that some products containing alcohol were legitimate; they included patented medicines, flavoring extracts, pure grain alcohol for scientific and industrial purposes, and sacramental wines.

cool

J
J
On a tangential, humorous note:
"We don't make moonshine. We make elixir for celebratory purposes."
"Happy Mohammed's birthday! . . . I never realized there were so many Moslems in Mayberry! I could've sworn Lars Hansen was a Lutheran!"
"Next week is National Potato Week!"

F
F
A toast to Dan Quayle - the patron of National Potato Week.

Fr. Serge

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
A toast to Dan Quayle - the patron of National Potato Week.

Fr. Serge

Is that potato or potatoe??? wink

Job #303807 11/08/08 05:24 PM
ajk Offline
US Constitution

Amendment XVIII

(Ratified January 16, 1919. Repealed December 5, 1933 with the Ratification of Amendment XXI)

Section 1

After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2

The Congress and all of the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 3

This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

ajk #303809 11/08/08 05:42 PM
F
F
Just hand me my old Martin,
For soon I will be startin'
Back to dear old Charleston far away;
Since Roosevelt's been elected
Moonshine liquour's been corrected;
We've got legal wine, whiskey, beer and gin!

During prohibition, one could purchase so-called "wine bricks", with which one could produce at home a horrific beverage loosely termed "wine". The wine brick came with directions, worded as follows:

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES immerse this product . . . . because to do so would produce WINE, an alcoholic beverage, the production, ownership, or consumption of which is illegal in the United States.

The lasting memorial of prohibition is the proliferation of crime "families" in a number of cities; they became entrenched by running speak-easies and importing adult beverages (usually from Canada), and once they had arrived, they did not propose to leave.

Fr. Serge

Wine FAQ in the Napa Valley [napanow.com]:
What's a "wine brick"?

During Prohibition, most wineries closed. A few survived by making medicinal or sacramental wine. (Yes, there did appear to be an increase in the number of sick and deeply religious people during this time.)

In order to survive financially, some wineries also produced "wine bricks". These were bricks of compressed grapes that were shipped to customers around the country with a warning notice, which read: "Warning. Do not place this wine brick in one gallon of water, stir and let sit in warm temperatures for 10 days, or it might ferment and turn into wine."

F
F
I actually knew - when I was much younger - some people who had drunk the resulting beverage. They told me that "rotgut" was the appropriate technical term!

Fr. Serge

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
My Dad and my Uncle Tommy, may their memories be eternal, both had occasion to drink wine fermented from a wine brick, an experience that they discovered many years later to have had in common. Tommy related the conversation to me long afterwards, telling me that they concluded it to be the reason that neither ever again drank wine, slaking any thirsts for alcohol with beer or whiskey instead.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
I have been retired from the post offices since 1997, but anyway I always laughed at the site on my route. There was a new, farley upscale sub-division on my route - well most of it was that way - but anyway, at the back of one of the properties there was an old stil, pretty good size too, that had been busted up many years before. biggrin biggrin biggrin I was always amazed, they built everything around it. Just left it lying there. biggrin A part of Amerciana I guess.

D
D
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
During prohibition, one could purchase so-called "wine bricks", with which one could produce at home a horrific beverage loosely termed "wine". The wine brick came with directions, worded as follows:

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES immerse this product . . . . because to do so would produce WINE, an alcoholic beverage, the production, ownership, or consumption of which is illegal in the United States.

That was also the period in companies first realized the importance of hops in malt extract for baking. They dutifully put the instruction "do not dissolve in water and add yeast, as this would make beer, which is illegal."

Also, there was an address to write to to get recipes for hopped malt extract. The recipes did indeed come. Shortly thereafter, another set of more interesting recipes would come from another state . . .

The lasting memorial of prohibition is the proliferation of crime "families" in a number of cities; they became entrenched by running speak-easies and importing adult beverages (usually from Canada), and once they had arrived, they did not propose to leave.

But those families only produced one president smile

hawk

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.