The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 333 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Truly an easy read, though it touches on the deepest doctrines of Orthodoxy, it's incredibly informative...

I bought "The Truth - What Every Roman Catholic Should Know about the Orthodox Church" also by the same author yesterday. Amazing read. Helps me.

K
K
Just my personal opinion here, but I always thought Clark Carlton to be a bit rough around the edges. Of course I'm comparing him to Bishop Ware and others who are a bit "softer" in their approach to the East/West rupture. Though he did write those quite some time ago and so I'm sure his style has changed as his wisdom has increased. I really liked his podcast on "The Christ Haunted South" though. (available at AFR: http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/carlton/P21/

In Christ,
Aaron

Well mate, the titles in question are about 9 - 10 years old. He would have changed by then. I'm aware of the hostility but I try to read with an open mind. I do have Metropolitan Ware's books as well by the way.

OP Offline
I've a couple of Metropolitan Ware's books on order from the library...just waiting to pick 'em up ...

K
K
Gwenyfur,

Have you visited Ancient Faith Radio before? Here is the link if you've never visited: http://ancientfaith.com/ .

There are number of podcasts by different folks, all of which I find to be very edifying.

In Christ,
Aaron

A
A
It would be my prayer that Mr. Carlton has changed. His book, The Truth, I found to be very hostile to the Catholic Church.

However, given what he has said concerning the filioque, purgatory, and Scott Hahn, I would have to agree with him. However, I find his style of apologetics no different than that of a anti-Catholic Protestant.

Last edited by Collin Nunis; 11/09/08 11:48 AM.
Originally Posted by Collin Nunis
However, given what he has said concerning the filioque, purgatory, and Scott Hahn, I would have to agree with him. However, I find his style of apologetics no different than that of a anti-Catholic Protestant.

His assessment of Dr. Scott Hahn is ridiculously over the top. I find that Clark Carlton comes across as pompous and abrasive, which makes him a perfect candidate for publishing through Regina Orthodox Press (Frank Schaeffer's outfit.)

Some Orthodox apologetic books can be "uncharitable". Among Catholic apologists, I'd still choose Alan Schreck over anyone else.

Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Originally Posted by Collin Nunis
Some Orthodox apologetic books can be "uncharitable".
I am sure the same can be claimed by many Orthodox vis-a-vis certain Catholic apologists. Considering the author's background and that he was a fresh convert nothing surprises me in the book.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Krotoski
Gwenyfur,

Have you visited Ancient Faith Radio before? Here is the link if you've never visited: http://ancientfaith.com/ .

There are number of podcasts by different folks, all of which I find to be very edifying.

In Christ,
Aaron

I constantly have that playing when I'm at home...I love it...very uplifting...and truly helps to keep me focused on my purpose...worshipping the Creator smile

OP Offline
The Faith didn't really do a lot of comparing between faiths...it wasn't apologetic in nature...but it was educational in some Orthodox views that I hadn't quite wrapped my mind completely around yet...

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.