The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Paderau, Chaplainjosephg66, JamesOrange, elisha, Samuil
5,977 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,385
Posts416,710
Members5,977
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
This morning at about 10 am I pulled into my driveway after going to the store ... the end of my short drive way ends near a wooden fence which (facing the driveway) is always shaded (the other side is the sun side).

As I stooped the car ... I was stunned.

There ... on the fence was a well formed (near perfect) white cross. About 30 inches high. With beams of maybe 5 inches wide. It was being caused by light. To the right of it there was another cross - a bit smaller and not as well defined.

Fascinated - I went up to it and placed my hand in front of it and confirmed that what was causing it was light coming from somewhere. So I placed my face into it and turned around to see where the light could be coming from.

Low and behold ... it was sunlight being reflected off of my own bed room window (2nd floor) but I did not see anything in the windows that could cause the reflection to take the perfect shape of a cross ... let alone a Benedictine cross.

I tell you the cross on the fence was a brilliant white .. very very bright. And this is full daylight. The beams were in perfect proportion. There was no "Well .. yes.. it might look like a cross maybe .." this was as if an artist had painted it on the fence.

I went into the house and had my wife look at the fence - and she also was stunned. "Get the camera!"

Of course .. both cameras in the house were out of commission (dead batteries) so I could not take a picture. I did try.

The crosses slowly faded and lost shape. Strangely ... they did not move (as one might expect a reflection cause by the sun to slowly move across the surface) - they actually faded as they slowly lost shape while seeming to stay stationary.

I estimated that the time I saw them was about 10:10 am .. that time must have been the peak. So I will be looking to see if they appear again on Sunday.

In the mean time ... the shape of the cross was very similar to a Benedictine cross (a cross with a Benedictine medal at the center). This is somewhat similar to what some call a Celtic cross (but the beams are not flared). It is actual my favorite style of cross. In a cross like this (original design) I believe the circle at the center where the beams meet - is a circle of light.

Which just so happens to be the shape of a cross which I wore (on a neck chain) for years. A large Benedictine cross (but I do manual work and it kept popping out of my shirt and if it got caught on tools or equipment it could be a danger so I stopped wearing it).

What I am wondering is ... does anyone know or has heard or read .. what a white cross might mean.

I do have an idea (two meanings) but I would like to know if anyone else has any idea what a white cross .. may mean in spiritual traditions.

If it is there tomorrow I will certainty take a picture of it but on the other hand 'once the message is delivered the messenger is no longer needed.' I will give my two ideas as to meaning after listening to anyone else who might have a clue. That is .. if anyone is interested.

-ray

Last edited by Ray Kaliss; 11/23/08 03:08 AM.
White or not white--what I take it to mean is that you and your wife have been blessed to see this 'sign' sent from heaven just for you.

In Christ,
Alice

R
OP Offline
R
I do hope I am able to take a photo for *private* view of my friends here. We will see ... He had a mind of his own. If the message 'has been delivered' I expect it will not be there tomorrow. In the mean time I have not touched the bedroom windows and will not disturb the windows in any way. Everything even in side the bedroom will be just as it was. I am not even going to move the window blinds when I go to bed tonight. I go to bed without the lights.

There is something my heart has been bothered with recently. He seems to have now given me a 'persuasive' argument. Time will tell what this is all really about.

But what might be the significance of the second cross (smaller and less defined, and to the right)??

I really should not trouble my head too much about this and just accept it as is.

Oh ... I just had the thought that the second cross may be .. me. Do you see? Do you get it? A lesser cross (a lessor image) of the first.

Alice ... you may delete this tread if you think it wise to do so.

Peace be to you and to your church.
-ray

Dear Ray,

I think that you are correct in that you should not trouble yourself trying to make meaning of this sign...Often there are some components to signs from heaven (dreams, visions, etc.) that we cannot understand completely. Sometimes, in due time and in retrospect we might.

So, rather you should console yourself in having received this gift from God. I don't think that you will see it again tomorrow.

God bless and have a very good and blessed, grace filled night!
Alice

R
OP Offline
R
Wise words Alice. Thank you for your advice which is 'spot on'. You can delete this tread if you think it wise to do so. It matters not to me. I will be happy either way you choose.

-ray

R
OP Offline
R
It was there again today.

I did get photos.

I will pick the best photo and all I need is an online place to put it and I will post a link in this thread.

Yes. It did move across the fence with the sun.

The crosses are more defined at certain angles and fade a bit or sharpen a bit from time to time. No, there are no clouds in the sky. It may be just the eyes that make it seem to slightly blur and then become sharp again. Or maybe it is due to moving slowly across the curved slates.

Tomorrow IS my birthday smile Thanks! God. I'll save you some cake!

-ray

R
OP Offline
R
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30496733@N05/3053294542/

I posted one photo. Paste that link into your browser.

It seems to have a foot rest beam at the bottom also like some Eastern crosses. A nice mix of East and West (just like me smile

-ray

WOW!!!!

It seems like God wanted to wish you a very happy and blessed birthday, dear brother in Christ!!!

MANY BLESSED YEARS TO YOU!

In Christ,
Alice

T
T
Ray--the photo is most impressive. Is it me or does there appear to be a heart around both crosses as well?

As to the meaning--I wouldn't even try to interpret that. It will unravel itself at the right time.

Tim

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by tjm199
Is it me or does there appear to be a heart around both crosses as well?

I now see that too - it is kind of like a aura glow around the big cross - especially noticeable on the left side.

-ray

B
B
I don't know what it means. But once when I was extremely discouraged, I smelled roses at the end of my driveway as I was unlocking the gate. It was December 8th and there are never roses at that time of year in upper East Tennessee. With time, I realized I was being given a sign of hope and encouragement. Perhaps that's what you are being given.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by byzanTN
I realized I was being given a sign of hope and encouragement. Perhaps that's what you are being given.

I am glad you thought and replied to remind us of that.

-ray

Dear Ray,

As I have Roumanian blood on my mother's side . . . smile

A white Cross, whether it appears in one's dreams or elsewhere, is always a sign of blessing and good fortune to come, even if, when it does come, we are not even aware of it.

"White" symbolizes purity and holiness and so is a most positive symbol.

Blessings to you!

Alex

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Dear Ray,

"White" symbolizes purity and holiness and so is a most positive symbol.

Alex

I think you have nailed it down for me. smile

-ray

P
P
A real blessing.

I wouldn't read more into it than that. You open yourself to spiritual fancy.

but a blessing to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.