The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Hieromonk Ambrose
Originally Posted by ajk
Leavened bread all round? grin

Cute, but a topic best avoided; no need to rehash yet again what kind of bread was used at the Last Supper.
Have we already done leavened bread? confused

But you see the point? That if your propositioon is axiomatic and we must defer to the practices of greater antiquity, then the Church of Rome has to retire those wafers and start baking leavened bread again.

No, I do not see the point at all, not one bit. As I said/implied, start another thread on this if you want. If I see the point in posts there, then I may choose to participate also.

(I don't know what the proposition is that you are referring to.)

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk
Think economia!

Every Orthodox Church in America may, if it chooses, baptize. They can, they do.
Yes, "if it chooses." The Catholic Church is constrained here, having no choice: It must baptize the unbaptized, and not baptize the baptized.
Same with the Easterners. It is a great sin to baptize someone already baptized. It is actually a defrocking offence for a priest.

A clarification: There are "Easterners" in the Catholic Church also.

So a "baptized-Catholic" who is then baptized in the Orthodox church, was not in fact really baptized (as a Catholic), and therefore, was not a Christian, one who had put on Christ? That's a question.

Originally Posted by ajk
So a "baptized-Catholic" who is then baptized in the Orthodox church, was not in fact really baptized (as a Catholic), and therefore, was not a Christian? That's a question.
You'd have to ask my bishop. I would say that those who claim a baptism outside the Church (which is, as I have been taught, the big-O one) would be in the category of "Other sheep do I have which are not of this fold. Them also must I bring and there will be one fold and one shepherd."

I am intrigued.... Catholics have no trouble at all denying the existence of the Sacraments in, say the Anglican and Lutheran Churches. They deny that the Archbishop of Canterbury is anything more than a layman. They deny that anything happens at his eucharistic service. He cannot forgive sins. He cannot confirm. He cannot ordain. So why is it that you allow the baptism of these ecclesial communities when you deny them the other Sacraments? Why is baptism the only Sacrament which exists outside the Church?

[OK, I think that you may now allow their Marriage as sacramental but did this leniency commence only recently with Vatican II?]

Hieromonk Father Ambrose, bless,

I think the only reason is historical - the Church has always accepted the Baptism of Arian/non-orthodox bishops and clergy, as well those performed by, for example, pagan and/or non-Christian slaves/servants of Christans.

ajk Offline
Why is baptism the only Sacrament which exists outside the Church?
Since sacraments are encounters with Christ they do not exist outside the church. The very terminology seems strange to me. The Catholic practice regarding baptism results from Holy Tradition.

As a very crude analogy I'd say baptizing is something like opening a special door for entering the Church (in the broadest sense) and putting on Christ. A person can't open the door for himself (can't baptize oneself) and properly it is done by a minister of the Church according to custom. Because of the importance of entering, however, because of ignorance or inability or other mitigating circumstances, anyone can as necessary open the door for the person seeking/needing to be baptized. It must be the right door and opened the right way, the Church supplying what is possible and lacking, if required.

Administrator
Administrator
Valid complaints are starting to come in on this and other threads. In reviewing this thread, posts have steered off-topic from the original post. There are several different themes and topics going on here that could have been developed in separate threads. This thread is now closed.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.