The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Can anyone recommend a church that we can go to in or near Pittsburgh for Christmas on January 7th?

If yes, can you list the service times?

We went to the Roman Catholics for December 25th. St. Paul's was really nice but it was not ours.

We thought about St. Nicholas in Homestead since I think the singing is really good and they will do all the Christmas carols we know.

But we're open to anything. A church with a really good choir would be a real treat.

U
U
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Byz
Can anyone recommend a church that we can go to in or near Pittsburgh for Christmas on January 7th?

If yes, can you list the service times?

We went to the Roman Catholics for December 25th. St. Paul's was really nice but it was not ours.

We thought about St. Nicholas in Homestead since I think the singing is really good and they will do all the Christmas carols we know.

But we're open to anything. A church with a really good choir would be a real treat.

St. Michael the Archangel Orthodox-Greek Catholic Church in Rankin, PA. Good singing and lots of authentic Prostopinije. I believe Great Compline is being served at 8:00 PM Jan. 6th. Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom for the Feast of the Nativity should be 10:00 AM on Jan. 7th.

U-C

C
C
For a good choral experience, Homestead is definately the place to go. They have one of the best choirs in the area and the diocese.

I'll also include the schedule from my parish, St. Nicholas Orthodox Church in Monongahela:

January 6:
Vesperal Liturgy at 9:00 AM
Great Compline at 7:30 PM

January 7:
Liturgy at 10:00 AM

I often think of our parish as a little village church (and that's good!). Congregational participation in singing the divine services is very strong and enthusiastic. While we don't have a choir as of late, a small group will be leading the prostopinije for this feast from the choir loft. Our lovely Sunday School choir will also sing a few pieces during Liturgy.

So, if you're south of the city, stop by!

Dave

Last edited by Chtec; 01/06/09 12:49 AM.
U
U
Originally Posted by Chtec
For a good choral experience, Homestead is definately the place to go. They have one of the best choirs in the area and the diocese.

I'll also include the schedule from my parish, St. Nicholas Orthodox Church in Monongahela:

January 6:
Vesperal Liturgy at 9:00 AM
Great Compline at 7:30 PM

January 7:
Liturgy at 10:00 AM

I often think of our parish as a little village church (and that's good!). Congregational participation in singing the divine services is very strong and enthusiastic. While we don't have a choir as of late, a small group will be leading the prostopinije for this feast from the choir loft. Our lovely Sunday School choir will also sing a few pieces during Liturgy.

So, if you're south of the city, stop by!

Dave

David,

God is with Us/S'Nami Boh!

An anticipated "Christos Razhdajet'sja/Slavite Jeho" to you and all who are celebrating the Nativity of Our Lord on January 7th.

Ung

ps I'll be living in the South Hills soon, so you may see me in Monongahela parish some Sunday mornings wink

P
OP Offline
P
Wow! St. Nicholas in Homestead was beautiful. It took me back to years ago to when our churches were full. If only we had kept our traditions our churches would be full, too. I took the morning off and we're just now going back for Christmas Liturgy.

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.