The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (griego catolico, Fr. Al), 341 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#310006 01/20/09 01:25 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Dear Friends,

For the inauguration of President-elect Obama, 18 women from my family (ages 12 to 77), including my mother, sisters, grandmother, aunts, etc. traveled up to D.C. to witness this historic occasion. They've been having a great time and say the sense of unity there is truly unreal. They have a blog called C.H.A.N.G.E (Cousins Having A New Generational Experience) and the website is www.cousins12to77.blogspot.com [cousins12to77.blogspot.com]

Anyway, my mom just e-mailed me to tell me that they were interviewed by Lisa Ling for Oprah, and it can be viewed online at Oprah.com!

Here's the web address: http://www.oprah.com/media/20090112_inaug_georgia

The woman on the left doing most of the talking is my aunt, my mother's younger sister. My cousins are in the middle but I'll take the trouble to point out my sisters. My youngest sister Emma (14) is the third from the left in the red tobaggan, and my sister Kate (17) is the one in the middle with the beige, black, and grey toboggan. I'm not sure where the rest of the 18 women were (including my other sister and my mother), but anyway I thought this would be a lot of fun to share!

On a funny side note, I have been looking all over for the only toboggan I own...well, apparently it's in D.C. and sitting atop Kate's head. wink

Alexis

P.S. I know there are people with various political leanings here, but I'd rather not fight about that. This is just for sharing and entertainment!

Dear Alexix,

Thanks for sharing. I liked the blog too. How exciting for your family!

(Personally, I have no excitement about the inauguration, but I can respect and rejoice in the excitement and enthusiasm which others have, and most especially, Black Americans..We have come a long way as a people, thanks be to God. )

Anyway, What adorable girls your sisters are! smile

I didn't know that those hats were called 'toboggans'! confused

I thought a toboggan was a type of sled, and then you said that yours was on top your sister's head, and at that moment I understood that it couldn't possibly be a sled you were referring to-or atleast I HOPE not! LOL!!! grin

Regards,
Alice smile

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
OK - I have got to go look at this - like Alice, I'm sitting here thinking 'toboggans' - on their heads? Oh, ok, they are carrying them back up a hill to slide down - no, wait, can't be that much snow in DC.

Alex,

Regardless of how you Southerners have apparently misappropriated our perfectly good Northern term for a sled, I agree with you that it must, indeed, be exciting to have such a multi-generational group from your family take on this experience. God bless them.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Have I been in the south that long? I knew exactly what he meant biggrin Alex you will have to frame it when it gets back, after all it has been on a historical trip biggrin biggrin biggrin

L
OP Offline
L
Well that's what we call those hats down here - but the hats themselves are so rare, I guess it wouldn't matter what we called them! At least Pani knew what I meant. wink

What do y'all Yankees call those types of hats?

Alexis

What do y'all Yankees call those types of hats?

Hats! wink

L
OP Offline
L
Here's a relevant Wikipedia entry for "toboggan" being used as a definition of "hat":

In Southern American English, Appalachian English, and Yooper dialect, toboggan refers to a type of hat. This is sometimes shortened to boggan or lengthened to boggan cap. This type of hat is also referred to by other names: knit hat or knit cap, sock cap or stocking cap, watch cap, tuque, skull cap or sometimes as a ski cap. A beanie is a similar type of hat, and although toboggan and beanie typically refer to synonymous items in most regions, a beanie is normally more rigid, not knitted, and usually made up of structured panels of felt, twill, or other tightly woven cloth.

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 01/20/09 06:51 PM.
D
D
What a great group of cousins!! I'll bet family barbeques and gatherings with this group are a real hoot! It seems that they are having a really good time - and I wish them 'safe home'.

Dr John

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.