The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
ByzBob Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Does anyone know if the New American Bible (NAB) has to be used liturgially in parishes belonging to the Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy? A priest from another jurisdiction (also Catholic) said he uses the NKJV because the NAB is a rather poor translation. Does anyone know the reason why the NAB is preferred over other translations when it comes to the Liturgy?

Thanks,
Bob

ByzBob:

Probably because the bishops of the Catholic Church in American paid so much to have it translated and they want to ensure they get a ROI.

On a tangent: I understand that the BCC uses the 1970, noninclusive version. I haven't been able to find a copy with that copyright date, even used. Does anyone have a line on one?

BO

B
ByzBob Offline OP
OP Offline
B
"Probably because the bishops of the Catholic Church in American paid so much to have it translated and they want to ensure they get a ROI."

I was sort of hoping for a better answer than that frown , though I sort of think it is something along those lines. When Protestants ask why we use so much gold and ornate decorations in the church we respond, at least in part, that we want to use what is best for Divine worship. I have not heard anyone make the claim that the NAB is the best possible translation. Maybe someone has and I'm just unware of it, but if it is subpar translation why use it for Divine worship? Or is it the best possible? I don't want to make it out to be a bigger deal than it is, but I was wondering about it.

Bob

Thanks,
Bob

BOB:

If it's any comfort, the Vatican demanded modifications of the text before the last Latin lectionary was approved for use. The congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments decided that the text was not up to par for liturgical use--and that included the extensive use of feminist language. So for Latin Catholics there is no available text for private use that is identical to the text used in worship.

My biggest beef is that after many years my children bought me a leather covered extra-large print edition of this translation. I then discovered that the Revised Psalms contained therein had never received approval for use and that the New Testament revision's approval is in doubt.

BOB

F
F
We've got to get someone involved in this thread who is not named 'Bob.' grin It's confusing! crazy Unfortunately, I'm not the one to set up to the plate on this thread!

Fr David Straut

FATHER DAVID:

Father bless!!

The confusion I've had is in trying to keep straight which translations are faithful enough to be seriously used for study and prayerful devotional use.

Asking for your blessing and continued holy prayers,

theophan

F
F
Most Orthodox, and those Greek-Catholics who have the backbone to refuse to use the NAB, are apt to use the Revised Standard Version, the Authorized Version, or the New King James Version.

Imagine the public response if any religious judicatory were to start a chain of shops, and advertise "it is sinful not to patronize our establishment"!

Fr. Serge

O
O
Fr Serge

May I put you on the spot , so to speak , and ask you which translation you use in Dublin ?

Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
Most Orthodox, and those Greek-Catholics who have the backbone to refuse to use the NAB, are apt to use the Revised Standard Version, the Authorized Version, or the New King James Version.

Imagine the public response if any religious judicatory were to start a chain of shops, and advertise "it is sinful not to patronize our establishment"!

Fr. Serge

Also the Bishop Raya edition of the Confraternity Bible, very excellent. It is the 1941 Confraternity Bible but with emendations to conform to the Byzantine Text. That is what we use.

Last edited by lanceg; 01/29/09 12:47 AM. Reason: grammar
Given that is the only Gospel/Epistle Books with hierarchal approval I would say yes, unless you can find an older Confraternity Version Lectionary.

Since it needs to be in a liturgical format with pericopes the choices are pretty limited.

Alleluia Press publishes Confraternity Version emended by Archbishop Jospeh Raya and Baron Jose DeVinck Gospel/Epistle Books.

The Antiochian Archdiocese publishes an RSV Gospel Book.

The Center for Traditionalist Orthodox studies publishes emended KJV Gospel/Epistle Books.

Holoviak's publishes an NKJV Gospel Book.

Holy Apostles Convent publishes emended KJV Gospel/Epistle Books.

Light and Life also has a very expensive Greek/English Gospel Book it doesn't say what the English version is.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
Light and Life also has a very expensive Greek/English Gospel Book it doesn't say what the English version is.

RSV, it is the one published by Holy Cross Orthodox Press, with of course Light and Life's extra percentage added to it.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Several of our UGCC parishes still use the now very hard to find Fan Noli translations. They are some of the few available texts that are an original translation from the Greek specifically for lectionary use in the Constantinopolitan tradition without an intermediate Protestant text.

Several of our parishes also now use the Holy Cross RSV-based text that is in use in the Greek Archdiocese.

F
F
The Antiochian Archdiocese published a nice Gospel Book using the RSV text. Don't know if it's still in print.

Fr. Serge

Administrator
Administrator
I have to agree with Father Serge that the Antiochian edition is nice. But I have to also admit since I have that edition here (it was a gift from my parents), that I must caution anyone using it should thoroughly pre-read any lection from it before using it in a service. For some reason whomever was proofreading missed a number of typographical errors. The most notable that comes to mind is that the sisters of Lazarus instead of being referred to as Martha and Mary, are instead in that gospel book, Marty and Mary (see reading for Lazarus Saturday).

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
F
F
Dear Father Anthony,

Such things do happen. The first edition of the Alleluia Press Gospel Book - which I have - ends the Holy Saturday Gospel: "baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Holy Spirit". I know this, of course, so I've always supplied the missing words. But I'm sure that someone, somewhere, sometime . . .

Fr. Serge

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.