The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 284 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Greetings:

I know there are a number of Chicagoans or transplanted Chicagoans who post, and I'd like some input.

My daughter, a high school senior, was accepted to the U of Chicago in December 2008. We'll visit sometime after Pascha.

My questions are 2:

1. Are the campus and the surronding area relatively safe?

2. Is the public transportation system adequate, so that she does not need her car?

all comments are welcome, thanks

Grateful
Grateful
I have been to Chicago in years. The University of Chicago is on the south side of that city, and it can be pretty rough in that area. The university itself has an outstanding reputation --congratulations to your daughter for being accepted there-- but students have to take precautions in that area.

Others with more experience there can give more accurate and exact advice.

Be well.

-- John

L
L

Hyde Park, the neighborhood around the University of Chicago is reasonably safe. In addition to the Chicago police, the campus also have there own mobile police.

From the Lakefront west to Cottage Grove (800 West) and from 47th to 60th, the area is pretty safe, though a woman by herself should exercise caution at night and be careful near the border areas. Kenwood, north of 47th-St and Washington Park, west of Cottage Grove are high crime areas. There is some gentrification going on south of 60th in the Woodlawn area, but for the most part it is unsafe on foot.

Unfortunately, I'm not too knowledgeable about public transportation, though I do know that buses and trains pass through high crime areas in the surrounding communities. There is a bus that runs on much safer Lake Shore Drive to the Downtown area, but don't know how frequently.

Eastern Rite worship may be a bit of a travel problem.

Father Deacon John,

I'd love to take you around the City - and of course you are invited to serve at the Divine Liturgy at my Church should you grace us with your presence!

C
CRW Offline
C
I am an alumnus. The answer to both your questions is yes. All she needs is some common sense. Hyde Park has long been thoroughly gentrified.

In my opinion it would be burdensome for someone to attend the U of C, live in Hyde Park and try to own a car. Parking is a major hassle. The U of C has its own police force and operates a neighborhood bus service. There is an extensive public transportation system in Chicago and people of all social classes use it. She should avoid traveling alone at night in poor neighborhoods (duh!) but there are almost always alternatives.

Isn't that where are dear poster Katie G goes?

D
D
There is a section of the university that has the distinction of being patrolled by more police agencies than any other in the united states . . .

Due to political corruption and its side effects, the university was seriously considering an offer to merger with Stanford and move west. To get it to stay, it was offered its own police force (I don't know who picks up the tab). While most private universities have a security force, UofC's is an actual police force, with all that implies . . .

hawk

OP Offline
Thanks one and all for the replies.

CRW- my daughter is quite gifted with common sense. She's been to France (Paris and Lourdes) without any problems. I didn't think she would actually need a car in Chicago, so you just confirmed my sentiment.(Atleast I can give her car to my son who should be driving in a few months.)

Rose- I believe Katie is attending the University of Illinois, not the University of Chicago.

DocHawk- I graduated from the University of Southern California waaay back in 1982... USC had its own police force then, so I don't think university police departments are anything new for tier 1 universities.

Originally Posted by Pani Rose
Isn't that where are dear poster Katie G goes?

No. She attends the U of I in Champaign, Ill.

CDL

L
L
I just got back from visiting Chicago this weekend! Law schools and such. Anyway, I didn't go to the South Side but mostly stayed in the downtown and northern neighborhoods area.

I think the L (Chicago's transit system) is sufficient transportation, at least for what I saw.

Alexis

If your daughter has the intelligence to be admitted to U of C, then she should have the intelligence to act with common sense. She'll be fine, get a fantastic education, and have the experience of a lifetime!

D
D
Originally Posted by Deacon John Montalvo
DocHawk- I graduated from the University of Southern California waaay back in 1982... USC had its own police force then, so I don't think university police departments are anything new for tier 1 universities.

I found their annual report, including a paragraph at the bottom of page 4 that I can't manage to cut and paste.
(http://capsnet.usc.edu/DPS/ASR/documents/AnnualSecurityReport2008_000.pdf)

It seems that they have an agreement with LAPD granting them some arrest authority. Though they use the name police at times, and have agents trained in police academies, that's not the same thing as being an actual police authority in their own right--which is my understanding of what UC's police status is.

It is typical for any even moderately sized college to have a force such as USC describes, sometimes with an agreement with the local police jurisdiction. (State schools will typically have actual police, possibly in their own agency).

At Santa Clara (I arrived the year you graduated), the thought of our public safety officers being armed would have been terrified. I think it was the year after I left that one faked an attack on himself in an attempt to get the university to allow them to carry weapons . . .)

hawk

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Actually, it varies significantly from state to state. Mass. Gen Laws make specific provision for the licensing of college and university personnel as special state police officers with full powers on the grounds and adjacent areas, often extending into the city or town in instances where the college or university is a dominant presence in the municipality. There are several other states that do likewise.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
I know a couple of people who attend the University of Chicago. They have only had good experiences. Regardless of how "good" or "bad" a surrounding neighborhood may be, students should always use their best judgment in walking around a campus. From my own experiences, and as a Resident Adviser, I can't say this enough: Try not to walk alone. Do I do it sometimes? Yes, but only in well populated, well lit areas. Oftentimes, students will talk to someone on the phone while they walk alone, this can be good because at least one person knows where you are but sometimes this can distract you from your surroundings. I always carry a whistle on my key chain. I've never used it, but it is comforting to know that I have it just in case. U of I is a pretty safe campus, but it never hurts to take precautions.

Like everyone else has said, it's mostly about common sense. I'm sure your daughter's RA will provide tips for campus safety. Good luck to her next year!

OP Offline
Thanks again to all who replied.

As I mentioned before, my daughter and I will visit Chicago sometime in April after Pascha, so she'll be able to get a feel for the campus @ that time. Any recommendations on where to stay?

In more recent news, our eldest daughter was accepted to the Pritzker School of Medicine @ U of C... (had hoped they would be in Chicago together) but she has decided to attend Baylor College of Medicine, any Houstonians out here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.