The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
But, if time is allowed to progress for another 10,000 years Pascha will be in the summer time. Isn't it better to fix the problem now before it gets out of hand?

ajk #312849 02/17/09 02:34 PM
A
A
Re
The topic has been discussed on the forum, most recently:
Julian Calendar
Any changes in the method of dating Pascha
A common date for Easter when???

The "Julian Calendar" thread has something by Fr Andrew Philips which includes this
Indeed, as the Orthodox Church in the sixteenth century saw, the new Gregorian calendar and Paschalia are anticanonical. A number of canons (The Apostolic Canons VII and LXX; Laodicea XXXVII and XXXIX; Antioch I) state quite clearly that the Christian Easter must neither coincide with or fall before the Jewish Passover. These ancient canons had been established to preserve the historical and therefore theological order of events of the Passion of Christ. It would be senseless to celebrate Easter before the Jewish Passover, for Christ is precisely 'the New Passover'. The new calendar of Rome was thus condemned and anathematised by the Orthodox Church almost as soon as it was introduced in 1583
The problem here is one of authority rather than astronomy.
What has more authority - a Canon claiming to be by the Apostles (but actualy incorporating 4th century Syrian prejudices) or a Papal decree?

Here is "Apostolic" canon VII. (Masterjohn version of The Rudder/Pedalion):
If any Bishop, or Priest, or Deacon celebrate the holy day of Pascha before the vernal equinox with the Jews, let him be deposed.
Here is part of the commentary on this canon from the Rudder
...the present Apostolic Canon ordains that any bishop or priest or deacon that celebrates Holy Pascha before the equinox of spring, with the legal Passover of the Jews is to be deposed. For even the wisest and most learned among the Jews observed the celebration of Passover at the time of the equinox, according to Blastaris, just as Moses had enjoined it, but the less refined ones celebrated it before
the equinox in accordance with the present Canon, and consequently they celebrated Passover twice in the same year.
The commentary has a variety of errors and prejudices. Here are two:

1) It is not true that the Torah requires synchronisation of Passover with the Vernal Equinox. In fact the Torah does not mention equinoxes.
Instead the original Hebrew Calendar realigned its Lunar calendar periodically so that the month of Abib/Aviv (barley) would be at the time of the barley harvest in Judea (Abib was renamed Nisan in Babylonian times). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abib
This means that due to varying agriculture conditions in Judea, the 14 of Nisan could legitimately sometimes be before the Vernal Equinox.

2) This canon could not have been by the Apostles.
As proof look up Quartodeciman (Latin term for someone who celebrated Easter on the Jewish Passover). This was the tradition that Apostle John brought to the area of Ephesus. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartodecimanism
It is not possible that St John the Apostle would have agreed to this "Apostolic" canon VII (since he would have declared himself deposed).

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Azarius,

One thing your post helps to clarify is just how deep-seated the EOC's adherence to the Julian Paschalion is.

When the GC was first introduced it was quickly and soundly rejected by the EOC, primarily for the reasons given by Fr. Andrew Philips. Thank you for quoting him.

One point I have been trying to make in this thread is that the EOC is not going to budge on this issue, no matter how effectively we might "prove" their assumptions to be invalid. If we as RCs/ECs are the slightest bit serious about wanting reunion with the EOC, we are going to have to be willing to yield on this point! (And let us not forget that we will be asking the EOC to yield on something even harder--namely to accept the idea that the Filioque is not heretical!)

As Fr. David put it so well earlier in this thread:
Originally Posted by Fr David Straut
If Catholics want a unity of celebration in the date of Easter, I'm afraid the only solution is to "condescend" to their "weaker" brethren and accept the "scientifically inaccurate" Julian Calendar based Orthodox reckoning. Can they humble themselves? The Orthodox, I believe, will not accept a change themselves.

I think this says it all. It is possible to be "right" with regard to external facts and still be wrong with regard to what really matters ...

Peace,
Deacon Richard

ajk #312862 02/17/09 04:53 PM
E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by Apotheoun
We are in no imminent danger of Orthodox Easter happening in the summer. The date of Easter according to the Julian calendar will remain in either April or May for at least the next 2,000 years.

In the year A.D. 3978 Orthodox Easter will be on May 21st.
Correct. This illustrates the issue quite well.
Todd's point here is clearly that Pascha is not going to start falling in June until some time after 3978. I fail to perceive why you think this constitutes an emergency. confused

Peace,
Deacon Richard

J
J
Originally Posted by Stephanos I
It is an option for those Orthodox in Communion with the Apostolic See of Rome, whether they use it or not. I know the majority of eastern churches that I have celbrated in do not use it. (Now if we could convince them to get rid of the kneelers. grin)

I am a member of the Greek Archdiocese, but have been a member of an OCA parish that had only stone floors! Please let us keep the kneelers. My knees could not then and now handle cold stone floors. Chalk it up to the fact that i was raised in a Latin parish that used padded kneelers as does the Greek parish i have belonged to since 1980!

Last edited by johnzonaras; 02/17/09 08:13 PM.
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Epiphanius
Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by Apotheoun
We are in no imminent danger of Orthodox Easter happening in the summer. The date of Easter according to the Julian calendar will remain in either April or May for at least the next 2,000 years.

In the year A.D. 3978 Orthodox Easter will be on May 21st.
Correct. This illustrates the issue quite well.
Todd's point here is clearly that Pascha is not going to start falling in June until some time after 3978. I fail to perceive why you think this constitutes an emergency. confused

I appreciate that science types are around to crunch the numbers and give predictions for the year 3978, a long way off, but confirming that Pascha is indeed on the move in the Julian calendar. That is the point, and that is not supposed to happen; that is not the way a calendar is supposed to work. Or is that not so?

The failure to perceive and the confusion are explained by the fact that I do not think nor have I said that this is an emergency, as stated.

John
I am a hard rigorists.
I thought the seminary I studied at had gone to "hell in a handbasket" when they padded the kneelers, which had priviously been wood. grin
Caloused knees where good for the soul!
Stephanos I

F
F
It might be more sensible to leave the calendar alone and start preparing for the Parousia.

Fr. Serge

F
F
I agree with Fr Serge!

A
A
One of my dreams (fantasies?) is to attend Holy Week in ALL of the liturgical traditions of the apostolic Churches, whilst regularly attending Holy Week in my parent Latin Rite. I guess I wouldn't be able to accomplish this dream if everyone observed Holy Week at the same time! So, I have one selfish reason for not wanting any calendar changes for at least another generation grin

ajk #312913 02/18/09 03:46 AM
E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by ajk
I appreciate that science types are around to crunch the numbers and give predictions for the year 3978, a long way off, but confirming that Pascha is indeed on the move in the Julian calendar. That is the point, and that is not supposed to happen; that is not the way a calendar is supposed to work. Or is that not so?
We did not need to confirm that Pascha is on the move in the Julian calendar--no one is arguing that it is not. However, the same statement serves to confirm that the Julian Paschalion is not going to be slipping out to June in the next 20 years--or the next 200 years. The point is that we can continue to let this calendar issue divide us, or we can concede--the discussions on this forum have led me to conclude that there really is no other choice.

What Our Lord said of the Sabbath--that it was made for man, and not man for it--could easily be applied to the calendar as well. This is why I think the requirement of I Nicaea for following the Alexandrian formula is secondary to the requirement of the same council that all Christians celebrate Pascha on the same day.

Originally Posted by ajk
The failure to perceive and the confusion are explained by the fact that I do not think nor have I said that this is an emergency, as stated.
Well, then I'm puzzled at the meaning of this statement:
Originally Posted by ajk
It also exemplifies the inertia in facing the "danger", hopefully not aspiring to "Après moi, le déluge".

J
JLF Offline
J
Well, to add confusion, but perhaps an "off the wall" idea might be possible given the stalemate of the two sides in this debate, how about doing both? As with many organizations with two strong sides, they "share" leadership by alternating -- so when the dates don't coincide already, let's all agree to "alternate" the calculation from Julian to Gregorian each year, skipping those years when they are common. The next 15 years might look like this:

Common Pascha Compromise

Year -- Gregorian -- Julian -- Compromise

2010 -- April 4 -- April 4 -- April 4
2011 -- April 24 -- April 24 -- April 24
2012 -- April 8 -- April 15 -- April 15 (J)
2013 -- March 31 -- May 5 -- March 31 (G)
2014 -- April 20 -- April 20 -- April 20
2015 -- April 5 -- April 12 -- April 12 (J)
2016 -- March 27 -- May 1 -- March 27 (G)
2017 -- April 16 -- April 16 -- April 16
2018 -- April 1 -- April 8 -- April 8 (J)
2019 -- April 21 -- April 28 -- April 21 (G)
2020 -- April 12 -- April 19 -- April 19 (J)
2021 -- April 4 -- May 2 -- April 4 (G)
2022 -- April 17 -- April 24 -- April 24 (J)
2023 -- April 9 -- April 16 -- April 9 (G)
2024 -- March 31 -- May 5 -- May 5 (J)
2025 -- April 20 -- April 20 -- April 20

This way we ALL agree unity is paramount, and jointly agree to keep track and alternate from year to year when they are not the same. This may result in bigger swings from late March to early May, but ... if we're all together, maybe the variety would be interesting!

Regarding fixed dates, also keep both as today since the Greeks seem quite happy with Gregorian Christmas but Julian Pascha. At least we would all celebrate Pascha together!

Just thinking outside the box! BTW: Does anyone know if something like this was considered in that Aleppo meeting of the WCC?

Jack Figel

Last edited by JLF; 02/18/09 07:12 AM.
ajk Offline
We did not need to confirm that Pascha is on the move in the Julian calendar--no one is arguing that it is not.
I'm glad to hear that, but is it so, that "no one is arguing that it is not" on the move? I honestly have my doubts. I would like to hear confirmation of that from Julian calendar supporters, and anyone who may have the big picture in mind, their gaze fixd on the parousia. Shall we wait to hear from (some of) them as confirmation, before moving on to other points? Perhaps there is a misunderstanding on what is being argued and advance, and we should establish and prioritize essential facts, one-by-one.

Again, I say establish and prioritize essential facts, not conclusions about what anyone or churches should do. Let's just confirm the facts rather than dictating policy.

So I await the answer(s). Do we agree (within the given context) that "Pascha is on the move in the Julian calendar"?

ajk Offline
This is why I think the requirement of I Nicaea for following the Alexandrian formula is secondary to the requirement of the same council that all Christians celebrate Pascha on the same day.
Would supporters of the Julian calendar/Paschalion agree - unity before following "I Nicaea"?

Originally Posted by ajk
Well, then I'm puzzled at the meaning of this statement:
Originally Posted by ajk
It also exemplifies the inertia in facing the "danger", hopefully not aspiring to "Après moi, le déluge".
To better focus my response, what specific word of phrase is not understood or puzzling?

ajk #312936 02/18/09 01:43 PM
A
AMM Offline
A
I'm glad to hear that, but is it so, that "no one is arguing that it is not" on the move? I honestly have my doubts. I would like to hear confirmation of that from Julian calendar supporters

I've never heard it as a topic of discussion in the off-line world. I consider the Julien calendar normative for the calculation of Pascha, and I would not support any movement to change that.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.