The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
OP Offline
L

F
F
Haven't been to Scranton in at least twenty years, but I'll keep it in mind, especially if I should take up public sinning as a way of life. But it occurs to me that the Polish National Catholic Cathedral is located in a convenient place and probably offers Mass in English.

Fr. Serge

A
AMM Offline
A
Really bad idea.

The Episcopal Church welcomes you!

I am glad that this bishop has taken a stand on the issue.

A
AMM Offline
A

H
H
Good for Bishop Martino! It is time bishops remind people who do not actually hold the Catholic Faith that they should not take Communion.

This is not like the Romanian Bishop's letter on the war. He was clearly in the wrong. The war in Iraq was and is just. Even the Vatican acknowledged this while also saying that all war was a failure.

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Originally Posted by Helen PR
Good for Bishop Martino! It is time bishops remind people who do not actually hold the Catholic Faith that they should not take Communion.

This is not like the Romanian Bishop's letter on the war. He was clearly in the wrong. The war in Iraq was and is just. Even the Vatican acknowledged this while also saying that all war was a failure.

I agree that the matter of abortion cannot rightly be compared to the war in Iraq. That abortion is wrong is not debatable for Catholics. However, the statement that the war in Iraq was and is just-well that's your opinion, and one that I don't share.

A
AMM Offline
A
What about politicians (or anybody I guess whose stance becomes publicly known) who support capital punishment? No communion?

Adultery? No communion?

Divorced but no annullment and re-married? No communion?

Children out of wedlock? No communion?

L
L
"Divorced but no annullment and re-married? No communion?"

That's how it is in my parish, yes.

Alexis

Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by anamchristi
The Episcopal Church welcomes you!

No, secular humanism or Buddhism welcomes me.

No, not literally. I'm fool enough to stick with the Church. Many, however, just quit. The number is now 16% of the American population that is unaffiliated with *any* religion (according to the Pew Center study in 2008).

Nevertheless, it *disgusts* me how Christians like to excommunicate each other over "love" and "the prince of peace" and their standards of what makes a good Christian. If there is any place that should welcome sinners fully, it should be the Church. Yet, so often, that welcome is there the least.

Don't worry, though, all you good excommunicating Christians. With weekly Mass attendance down to 31% in the Latin rite in the U.S. (according to the CARA study in 2008), and with catastrophic demographics in the Eastern Rites, you are excommunicating each other quite effectively: in practice, if not always officially. The multi-jurisdictional mess in Orthodoxland is, perhaps, indicative --and causal?-- of a similar phenomenon. The result in the end will be tiny churches of people just like yourselves. God help you.

-- John

Last edited by harmon3110; 03/03/09 05:25 AM.
AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
John:

It seems to me that there are some who seem to delight when the Church excommunicates someone, and this does disgust me. But are you suggesting that excommunication should never be used? I think excommunication should never be a cause for anything other than prayer for the salvation of the one who is excommunicated, but I do believe that excommunication has a scriptural foundation and in some cases is necessary for the following reasons: the spiritual welfare of the one who has fallen into an extrememly sinful state, to prevent the profanation of the body and blood of Christ, and to prevent serious scandal.

Ryan

I have a friend who lives in NEPA and is technically under Bishop Martino. He left his Roman Catholic parish and now attends a Greek Catholic parish in the area. He has told me on numerous occasions how low the morale is in that diocese and the discontent from both clergy and laity with this bishop.

Things aren't always what they seem.

A
AMM Offline
A
John K, I would assume because of things such as this:

http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/art...22.a.pg1.tt22martino_s1.2031807_top4.txt

I agree that the matter of abortion cannot rightly be compared to the war in Iraq.

Not according to Bishop Botean.

John
I dont know where youre talking about but in our diocese the Churches are overflowing and have way too many Masses as is.
We have 10 Masses a weekend all full, we have two daily Masses where attndance excedes sometimes even 300 and normally ranges between 1 and 2 hundred.
So be a little more specific as to "where" Mass attendance is down.
Stephanos I
PS Now if we could get the collection up like that to reflect the numbers :)we could put the new roof on the Church and keep them dry.

Last edited by Stephanos I; 03/03/09 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.