The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
VATICAN CITY, MARCH 9, 2009 (Zenit.org).- The Latin patriarch of Jerusalem is the newest member of the Vatican Congregation for Eastern Churches.
Benedict XVI named Archbishop Fouad Twal to the post Saturday, according to the Vatican press office.

The Holy Father also appointed Archbishop Jan Babjak of Presov, Slovakia, of Byzantine rite Catholics; Archbishop Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel of Addis Abeba, Ethiopia; and Archbishop Basil Schott of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, also of the Byzantine rite.

The prefect of the congregation is Cardinal Leonardo Sandri.

A
A
No Secretary yet? The previous Secretary, Archbishop Veglio, is now head of the Pontifical Council for Migrants

Last edited by asianpilgrim; 03/10/09 07:40 AM.
J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
I saw this yesterday AM I am glad you posted it Fr. Deacon! Is this a "good thing" or a "bad thing"???

I can see it being "good" in that BCC has "a seat at the table".

However...

I can see it as being "bad" in that much of what has been sent to the Oriental Congregation seemed to go "into a black hole"...will that "black hole" get deeper since it's easier to skirt things when the people being complained about are now there???

I would love to know what people think!!!

I can see it as being "bad" in that much of what has been sent to the Oriental Congregation seemed to go "into a black hole"...will that "black hole" get deeper since it's easier to skirt things when the people being complained about are now there???

JOB:

What do you think??? Now what do you REALLY think???

BOB

L
L
I think it is quite normal for all the Patriarchs, Major Archbishops and Metropolitan Archbishops of Eastern Catholic Churches sui iuris to be members of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches.

Job, would you rather prefer that the Congregation consisted exlusively of Latin-rite Roman Cardinals?

Last edited by Latin Catholic; 03/10/09 03:32 PM.
Latin Catholic:

Job's question was whether any complaints about parish closings and the RDL would even get a serious hearing if His Eminence, Metropolitan Basil is a member of the Oriental Congregation. He and many of his brethren have been hoping for Roman intervention in their sui juris Church over the devastation of parishes going on in some places and the RDL which seems to be a big issue for them. Would you place a bet that any complaints would simply be given to His Eminence because they were in his backyard?

BOB

C
C

F
F
Someone should remind those responsible for these appointments of two useful Latin maxims:

a) nemo debet esse iudex in propria causa, and

b) quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Fr. Serge

L
L
Originally Posted by theophan
Latin Catholic:

Job's question was whether any complaints about parish closings and the RDL would even get a serious hearing if His Eminence, Metropolitan Basil is a member of the Oriental Congregation. He and many of his brethren have been hoping for Roman intervention in their sui juris Church over the devastation of parishes going on in some places and the RDL which seems to be a big issue for them. Would you place a bet that any complaints would simply be given to His Eminence because they were in his backyard?

BOB
Again, I think these appointments are quite natural and normal. Of course there will always be the danger of a conflict of interest. (What happens if someone wants to complain about His Beatitude Patriarch Gregory III or His Beatitude Lubomyr? After all they are quite naturally members of the Congregation for Eastern Churches.) I haven't studied Pastor Bonus to see if there are any regulations regarding recusal. Does anyone know if there are rules about conflict of interest, either generally in the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches, the Code of Canon Law or Pastor Bonus?

Regarding the specific problems mentioned:

1. Frankly I don't think the Congregation for Eastern Churches will be concerned with parish closings. Really that is within the scope of the ordinary authority of each eparchial bishop.

2. As for the Revised Divine Liturgy (RDL), I don't feel competent to comment, as I haven't studied the issue. What competence does the Congregation for the Eastern Churches have regarding the liturgy of the Eastern Catholic Churches sui iuris? Does it approve or review them in some way?

Last edited by Latin Catholic; 03/10/09 10:23 PM.
Maybe they are going to transfer Archbishop Basil to Rome as a reward for his Revised Divine Liturgy? I mean just like the did to Bishop Elko. Then maybe a new metropolitan would give our priests permission to celebrate the Byzantine Liturgy.

Patriarch and Major Archbishops are by law members of the Congregation. Metropolitans are not which is why the Holy Father had to appoint them, but perhaps he is going to change that particular slight.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
L
L
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
Patriarch and Major Archbishops are by law members of the Congregation. Metropolitans are not which is why the Holy Father had to appoint them, but perhaps he is going to change that particular slight.

Fr. Deacon Lance
You're quite right:
The patriarchs and major archbishops of the Oriental Churches, and the president of the Council for Promoting Christian Unity, are ipso iure members of this Congregation. (Pastor Bonus, art. 57, ยง 1. [vatican.va])
I hadn't realized that Metropolitans of Churches sui iuris weren't automatically members too, but it would seem to make a lot of sense to include them.

Last edited by Latin Catholic; 03/11/09 03:42 PM.
P
P
The Holy Father should not have appointed Archbishop Schott to the Oriental Congregation. I believe that Archbishop Schott has done so much damage to the Ruthenian Church here in Pittsburgh with his Revised Divine Liturgy. But I'll bet that the pope has never heard of the RDL and has no idea how much damage Archbishop Schott has done. It seems to me that no one cares about the people they have chased away. I find the whole thing scandalous.

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Dear Pittsburgh Byz:

In spite of your pain and the extent to which you have been scandalized (neither of which I wish to minimize or trivialize), I suggest a bit more respect to Metropolitan Basil would be appropriate.

Sincerely,

Ryan

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
Someone should remind those responsible for these appointments of two useful Latin maxims:

a) nemo debet esse iudex in propria causa, and

b) quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Fr. Serge

In the case of the Romans the first principle is usually accompanied (or rather cancelled) by this second principle- audi alteram partem- since the other side tends to be one of their own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.