The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 311 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#314623 03/07/09 02:44 PM
S
sotnyk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Does anyone know any information on St Bryan (with that particular spelling)? I am trying to find some articles and have been rather unsuccessful. I'd appreciate any help. Also, is there a Patron Saint Medallion for St Bryan? It is for a close friend in need.

Pavlo

sotnyk #314631 03/07/09 03:27 PM
L
L
Pavlo

As far as I can tell "Bryan" is an alternative spelling for the Gaelic Irish name "Brian."

For Dec. 10, the Roman Martyrology lists the Blessed Brian Lacy, who was martyred at Tyburn on that day in 1591 for giving help to Catholic priests who had entered England illegally at the time of Queen Elizabeth I.

In England, all the canonized and beatified English Martyrs of 1535-1680 are celebrated together with one memorial on May 4.

You probably won't find a holy card or patron saint medallion for Blessed Brian Lacy, but perhaps you can find a card or medallion for the English Martyrs?

Here is a famous painting that shows some of the English Martyrs:

[Linked Image]

Sources:
Martyrologium Romanum. Vatican City, 2001, p. 630.
"Brian." [en.wikipedia.org] Accessed Mar. 7, 2009.
Bl. Brian. [catholic.org] Accessed Mar. 7, 2009.
Blessed Brian Lacy. [saints.sqpn.com] Accessed Mar. 7, 2009.
May 4. The English Martyrs. [liturgyoffice.org.uk] Accessed Mar. 7, 2009.

Latin Catholic #314703 03/08/09 05:31 AM
S
sotnyk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks so much for the info.

sotnyk #314706 03/08/09 07:55 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Pavlo,

Hopefully, Father Ambrose will spot this thread. He has a marvelous storehouse of info on Celtic saints, well-known and obscure, of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, etc (and a wonderful e-mail service by which he provides info daily on those commemorated each day). He may well have some additional info.

And, actually, Father Serge, might as well.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Irish Melkite #314707 03/08/09 08:22 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
From Father Ambrose's site:

St. Brioc the Traveller, Bishop of Brittany
(Bryan, Brieuc, Briocus)
--------------------------------------------------------
Born in Cardiganshire, Wales; died in Brittany, c. 510; feast of his translation is October 18. Brioc was the founder of a monastery near Treguier, Brittany, which grew into the town and see called Saint-Brieuc. He was probably born in Ceredigion (Cardiganshire). According to legend, his father was named Cerpus and his mother was Eldrude, both of whom he is said to have converted following his ordination.

Brioc appears to have worked in southwestern Britain before migrating to Brittany; there is a place called Saint Breock or Breoke in Cornwall and Saint Briavels in the Forest of Dean is at root the same name. Saint Brioc's medieval biography contains a number of particulars and marvellous tales, but its historicity is slight. It says, for instance, that Brioc was trained in Gaul by Saint Germanus of Auxerre, who died in 448, which makes it highly unlikely.

Brioc is reputed to have built a famous church called Grande-Lann, where he gathered a number of disciples. In Treguier, he converted a wealthy nobleman named Conan who provided the funds to build a monastery in northern Armorica. Then Brioc is said to have returned to Britain and with the help of his relative, Prince Rigald of Domnonia, built the church of Saint Stephen there.

Brioc is styled a bishop in an inscription in marble at his shrine built in 1210, but it is not certain that he was a bishop; more likely he was an abbot of the Celtic type who kept a bishop in his monastery because no evidence claims his successor in the see, which dates only to 844. Brioc's relics were translated to the abbey of Saint-Sergius in Angers in the mid-9th century to protect them from Norse invaders. In 1210, an arm, two ribs, and some cervical bones were given back to Saint Brieuc's (Attwater, Benedictines, Farmer, Gill, Husenbeth).

In art, Saint Brioc is a bishop with a fiery pillar above him. He is venerated in Treguier, Brittany, and Cornwall (Roeder). Because of the legends regarding his great charity, Brioc is considered the patron of purse-makers (Farmer).

Troparion of St Brioc tone 1
O holy Brioc, Enlightener of the lands of Wales and Brittany:/ with miracles thou didst preach Christ in thy life,/ and in death thy fragrance proclaimed thy glory. Pray to Christ our God that our souls may be saved.

Many years.

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Irish Melkite #314708 03/08/09 12:19 PM
L
L

Latin Catholic #314728 03/08/09 09:20 PM
F
F
Brian/Bryan is the older Celtic spelling of the name which entered Latin as Bernard. I've often thought of having a double icon showing St Bernard of Clairvaux and St. Serge of Radonezh.

Fr. Serge

L
L
I didn't know that.

It seems like Pavlo's friend has a lot of options when it comes to a choice of patron saints smile

Latin Catholic #314763 03/09/09 10:15 AM
F
F
Dear Latin Catholic,

You're not the only one. When I received my MA in Sacred Theology from the University of Saint Michael's College, University of Toronto, the dean asked me how I would like my first name (Brian) spelled on the degree, which is in Latin. So I told him: B E R N A R D U S.

He decided I don't know my own name, and wrote "Brianus", which isn't even pig Latin.

Fr Serge

S
sotnyk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
All,

Thank you for your posts. It has definitely helped!

--Pavlo

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.