The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989, Kim711, Tadhg Francis
5,989 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 382 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,741
Members5,989
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#315531 03/16/09 06:21 PM
Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Ive been accused of arrogance many times over the years. Usually by online Atheists who dispise my arugments.

However, today my Humanities teacher called me arrogant.

I challenged the basis of the Revoltins in France and even America. He then mentioend that the men, the US FOundign Fathers liek Jefferson, where simply smarter htan me, and there are things we cant alays udnerstand but shoudl go with. I foudn this ocntradictive to the course since the course has thusfar asked us ot udnerstand th eneed to challenge societal conventions.

I then replied htat I didnt think Jefferson was my better, and to be obeyed blindly.

This won me the phrase of Arrogance. I am arrogant because I do not just follow Jeffrsons Idals.

Well, am I agorant just ebcause I disagree wiht him, and am a Monarhcist, and refuse to think the Revolutions where good?

THis is not to say there where no problem sunder the Crown, I just cannot accomodate my moral sense to rebellion agaisnt lawful authority or to Republican ideals.

Am I truly arrogant fornot goign along wiht him?

I didn thave itme or else Id have asked if htis extended ot the Divvinity of CHirst which Jefferson rejected. But, I just think beign called arrogant for beleivign myself capable of challenging Jefferson is no a fair assessment.

If others disagree, I shoudl hear them.

Last edited by Father Anthony; 03/16/09 08:52 PM. Reason: Title spelling correction
J
J
Arrogance is not so much a matter of what opinions we hold, but how we hold them. To be arrogant is to think that one is always right and never in need of correction (at least this is the extreme of arrogance). To dissent from a commonly accepted opinion is not arrogance (at least not in itself). It can become arrogance if you think that others who follow the conventional opinion are just ignoramus'es or they are just morally bad. But, if in humility, you have strong convictions that are based on reason and if sincerely attempt to understand why it is that many others would disagree with you and if you sincerely respect them as human beings with the right to form their own conclusions, then you are not being arrogant.

Peace and blessings.

Joe

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Zarove,

I agree with Joe.

I've heard it said that it's a test of one's maturity how well he/she is able to listen when others give an opinion that differs from one's own. It is also, of course, acting charitably to do so.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

L
L
I think most teachers try to avoid calling their students arrogant or any other name if they can avoid it. So I guess this teacher either lost his temper (yes, it does happen!) or he felt the student really needed to hear this.

Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I never said all peopel who where Republicans or who though the Revolutions good where idiots, I just challeneged the basis of them morally, and thought they had some rather nasty effects.

Also, Im Dyslexic. Spelling jokes get old.

L
L
On the contrary; I think your professor sounds pretty arrogant. And intellectually insecure.

Alexis

Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Well this dos happen frequently to me, when I challenge Democratic ideals.

Bu this is the first time a professor in a school did this.

I don't know about arrogant, but your typing skills leaves something to be desired... hehehe

Zarove has told us many times that he is dyslexic.

Although I know that no one hear intends to be malicious, I think that all teasing and jokes should stop.

Learning disabilities are a great challenge for children growing up, and I am sure that it takes a great deal of courage for him to write, despite this learning disability.

I feel great respect for his honesty and for him participating here.

Good for him, and may God bless him for it.

Alice, Moderator

Alice #315660 03/17/09 02:34 PM
O
O
Stivvy

next time you wish to make a comment like that - just check the thread - only 2 posts before yours was this comment from Zarove

Also, Im Dyslexic. Spelling jokes get old.

sorry

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.