The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Apostolic Administrator of Mukachiv Greek Catholic Eparchy Becomes Citizen of Ukraine
17.03.2009, [10:55] // Church-state relations //

KHUST— On 14 March 2009, Ukrainian President Victor Yushchenko attended a mass in honour of the heroes of Carpathian Ukraine. The service, which marked the 70th anniversary of the proclamation of the Carpathian Ukraine, took place at the Greek Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Ascension in Khust (Transcarpathian Region). President Yushchenko presented several awards as well as a Ukrainian passport to the Apostolic Administrator of the Mukachiv Greek Catholic Eparchy, Milan Shashik.

By The Way: For those of you who actually missed the March 15, 1939 declaration of a Carpatho-Ukrainian nation by the Greek Catholic Ruthenian Monsignor Avgustin Voloshyn I have included some of the film clips I found in my attic of the event. Happy 70th Anniversary of this great event:

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 03/18/09 08:37 PM.
L
L
There was an article about Ruthenia in The Economist this week: "Ruthenia rises again: A glimpse of daylight" [economist.com] (March 12th, 2009).

Last edited by Latin Catholic; 03/18/09 09:25 PM.
M
M
Thanks. I think I enjoyed reading the 2 pages of "Reader's Comments" even more than the article.

Also I believe Andy Warhol spoke to his mother in her native tongue. She lived with him in New York until her death.

J
OP Offline
J
It appears that there even an icon dedicated to the Ruthenian Monsignor in The Church of the Great Martyr St-Goero the Victorious in Edmonton, Alberta.

http://www.edmontoneparchy.com/images/icons/St.%20George%20Parish/Ch%206.JPG

I.F.

J
OP Offline
J

Here are some additional photos from the Ukrainian President's website:

http://www.president.gov.ua/en/gallery/1251.html#19465

It would have been great had they had captions with the pictures.

I.F.

U
U
Originally Posted by Jean Francois
Apostolic Administrator of Mukachiv Greek Catholic Eparchy Becomes Citizen of Ukraine
17.03.2009, [10:55] // Church-state relations //

I.F.

J
OP Offline
J
Ung-Certez,

I'm not sure what these videos have to do with Greek Catholic Bishop Milan of Mukachiv celebrating Carpatho-Ukrainian heroes but in regard to the 4th video - Дякую! Дуже зворушлива весільна пісня. Чудове виконання. Дивився на фотографії і згадував свою покійну бабусю-лемкиню. Again, thank you.

Here are some additional photos from the Greek Catholic Eparchy of Mukachiv in Ukraine:

http://www.mgce.uz.ua/photogallery.php?album_key=131

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 03/26/09 01:20 AM.
U
U
[quote=Jean Francois]Ung-Certez,

I'm not sure what these videos have to do with Greek Catholic Bishop Milan of Mukachiv celebrating Carpatho-Ukrainian heroes but in regard to the 4th video - Дякую! Дуже зворушлива весільна пісня. Чудове виконання. Дивився на фотографії і згадував свою покійну бабусю-лемкиню. Again, thank you.

Here are some additional photos from the Greek Catholic Eparchy of Mukachiv in Ukraine:

http://www.mgce.uz.ua/photogallery.php?album_key=131

I.F.

[/quote]

The point being not everyone from Carpatho-Rus' identifies themselve as Ukrainian, no matter what the Uzhorod-Mukachevo Greek Catholic Eparchy designates. Isn't Bishop Shashik a Slovak and not a Ukrainian?

L
L
Bishop Milan Šašik CM has been apostolic administrator "ad nutum Sanctae Sedis" of the eparchy of Mukacheve for about six years now. How is it working out? I think I read somewhere on the forum that he recently received Ukrainian citizenship. Isn't it time soon that Mukacheve gets a proper eparchial bishop and not "just" an apostolic administrator?

Last edited by Father Anthony; 05/11/09 10:59 PM. Reason: The following posts are joined to this thread, since the original Church News thread is over 7 years old.
F
F
The situation is decidedly odd - particularly since after one year such an Administrator automatically has all the authority of the Ruling Bishop.

But if Bishop Milan has indeed received Ukrainian citizenship, that should clear his path.

Fr. Serge

L
L
I found the post I referred to. It says Bishop Milan received a Ukrainian passport. I wonder if that is the same as citizenship?

https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbt...Milan%20of%20Mukachiv%20Celeb#Post315825

J
OP Offline
J
Now that he has a Ukrainian passport he can identify himself as a 'Ukrainain' of Slovak ancestry. It just goes to show you, everyone wants to be Ukrainian.

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 05/11/09 07:27 PM.
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by Jean Francois
Now that he has a Ukrainian passport he can identify himself as a 'Ukrainain' of Slovak ancestry. It just goes to show you, everyone wants to be Ukrainian.

I.F.

LOL smile

A
A
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
I found the post I referred to. It says Bishop Milan received a Ukrainian passport. I wonder if that is the same as citizenship?

Not always. Many European nations will issue non-citizens passports. The US Laws forbid issuing passports to non-citizens except in special cases, and forbid US citizens from carrying foreign passports, so it often seems odd.

F
F
Under certain circumstances, the United States does permit dual citizenship. Ukraine does not, partly to avoid the possibility of a substantial number of Poles seeking to claim property in Ukraine.

Fr. Serge

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.