The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#315956 03/20/09 02:32 AM
OP Offline
Hi,

Where can I learn more and maybe buy a prayer rope.
I really like the Jesus prayer.
But Have also seen on the web that the rope may have ties to buddism/hinduism, how true is that?

Grateful
Grateful
A rope is a rope. What matters is the Jesus Prayer.

You can say the Prayer on rosary beads, the knots on a komboskini / chotki, your finger tips, whatever.

Use whatever works for you.

The point is not the medium. The point is the Prayer.

-- John

. . . the rope may have ties to buddism/hinduism . . .

No truth at all. The fact that pagan religions may also have meditation tools that are similar to the prayer rope/prayer cord/chotki used by Eastern Christians does not mean that Eastern Christianity borrowed this from pagan religions.

BOB

theophan #315990 03/20/09 12:01 PM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
John,

I think if you search the term 'chotki' here, you'll likely find a variety of links and discussions. If you have problems, let me know and I'll track some of them down for you.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by ByzantineLatin
Hi,

Where can I learn more and maybe buy a prayer rope.
I really like the Jesus prayer.
But Have also seen on the web that the rope may have ties to buddism/hinduism, how true is that?

Are you worried about the prayer, or the rope?

Like I said in my previous post, a prayer rope is just that. Use any kind you want; the form doesn't matter.

If you are worried about repetitive prayer being Hindu or Buddhist, per se, don't be. Hindu repetitive prayer (japa) and Buddhist repetitive prayer (mantra) are repetitive prayers for those religions. Christian repetitive prayer is for Christians, and it evolved independently: by Christians, for Christians.

The thing that distinguishes Christian forms of prayer from other forms of prayer is: Christ. That is all, but that is everything.

-- John

C
C
Hello:

Here is one link for chotkis<prayer ropes>

http://www.stpaisiusmonastery.org/ropes.htm

In Christ:
Einar

harmon3110 #316003 03/20/09 01:39 PM
The thing that distinguishes Christian forms of prayer from other forms of prayer is: Christ. That is all, but that is everything.

-- John

Well put.

harmon3110 #316005 03/20/09 01:58 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by harmon3110
A rope is a rope. What matters is the Jesus Prayer.

You can say the Prayer on rosary beads, the knots on a komboskini / chotki, your finger tips, whatever.

Use whatever works for you.

The point is not the medium. The point is the Prayer.

-- John

Hello John:

I don't want to turn this into a technical discussion but I have some questions of my own. What is the significance of the Chotkis having 33-50-100 knots. They also seem to have varying numbers of large beads, perhaps that has something to do with the tradition of whatever church is using it? I have heard that those made with 33 knots represent the 33 years our Lord lived.

I do agree with you that the prayer is the main thing to be concentrating on.

In Christ:
Einar

Grateful
Grateful
Hi Einar,

I don't know the reasons behind the different number of knots, except to aid in counting. I have heard and read the idea that 33 knots is to represent the number of years of Jesus' life.

As for the solid / ceramic beads in the middle of the woolen knots of a chotki, I don't know what they are for except as an additonal aid to counting. Personally, I found them annoying. So, I made them into moment to pause and say a prayer in honor of the Theotokos before resuming the Jesus Prayer.

Be well.

-- John

harmon3110 #316035 03/20/09 05:05 PM
K
K
Let us remember, that the Blessed Mother requested, over and over again, that we, as Faithful Catholics, pray the Holy Rosary.

Kitju #316056 03/20/09 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Kitju
Let us remember, that the Blessed Mother requested, over and over again, that we, as Faithful Catholics, pray the Holy Rosary.

Let us remember that these were all in private revelations that no faithful Catholic is required to believe in. On the otherhand, the Church has called on Eastern Catholics to return to and foster their own indigenous prayer forms one of which is the Jesus Prayer.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
C
C
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance

Let us remember that these were all in private revelations that no faithful Catholic is required to believe in. On the otherhand, the Church has called on Eastern Catholics to return to and foster their own indigenous prayer forms one of which is the Jesus Prayer.

Fr. Deacon Lance

Thank your for pointing this out Father David. smile

In Christ:
Einar

Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance

Fr. Deacon Lance

Thank you.

harmon3110 #316086 03/21/09 02:10 AM
Well put Fr. Deacon Lance.

cool

OP Offline
Thanks All

I was asking about the actual rope as I am aware other religion have similar ropes/beads. I was curious about possible influences from other religions.

Also, well put Father, as I tell my friends the rosary is not required to be a faithfull Catholic.

God Bless

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.