The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Etnick Offline OP
OP Offline
I've never seen anything like this. This Ukrainian Catholic parish in Pennsylvania has an Iconostas with frosted glass (etched)? icons.

Has anyone here seen something similar anywhere else?

http://www.stanneukrainiancc.com/photo.html

F
F
I've never seen anything like it either - and I don't think I care to see anything like it again.

Fr. Serge

The doors between the vestibule and the nave of my former parish were like that, only they have iconic seraphim (or cherubim?) on them.

I have seen them in churches, but not on the iconostasis.

Etnick Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm wondering if it was an attempt to save money, and at the same time, be unique. They just don't look right.

F
F
There are one or two iconostases with glass-etched or painted icons like this in the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh.

A priest-friend of mine with a parish which does not have a screen was considering getting one of them from one of the parishes which was closed in the last few years.

I'd have to look in the '99 Archeparchial history book for the names of the parishes.

C
C
The Greek Catholic parish in Zalău, Romania has a stained glass iconostas:

http://www.egco.ro/photos_s183_ro.php

Definitely... unique. smile

Dave

Last edited by Chtec; 03/28/09 12:40 AM.
Interesting....

C
C
If a parish wants a more "see-through" iconostas, there are many ways of accomplishing this without resorting to glass. Like this, for example:

[Linked Image]

Dave

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by John K
The doors between the vestibule and the nave of my former parish were like that, only they have iconic seraphim (or cherubim?) on them.

The same doors of our Melkite Cathedral are done similarly to what John describes.

I'd have to say that, given a choice between the iconostasis with the etched glass and the stained glass one that David has shown, I'd opt for the etched - in a heartbeat. The stained glass one is very unattractive - almost gaudy. As regards the etched, it may be that - a generation from now - such will be included in any discussion of iconic media.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
O
O
Hmmm - I know that stained glass is very popular in some countries - I have to admit I like mediaeval stained glass - but modern stained glass in an Iconostasis is not to my taste at all.

What's wrong with the more open one that David also showed ?

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. That church saw this as their way of practicing our traditions and I respect that.

I would think etched glass would make a nice option in the side windows in the Naive of the church if we had to replace the stained glass windows.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Actually, my view might be very different were the stained glass one of a more ancient style. Although I might still not appreciate it as an iconostasis (would have to see and ponder on it), I could appreciate the beauty. The glass in the one pictured looks like it was put together from (forget the name right now) my daughter's toy that produces sun-catchers after you 'bake' the object.

The more that I think about it, the more willing I might be, though, to consider etched glass as an iconographic form.

Consider this - the Romanians are well known for creating beautiful and venerable icons in the style of reverse painting on glass. Are those an acceptable medium for use in an iconostasis? I'd be very surprised if there are no instances of this (and I'll bet Dave can find one, if there is).

And, another thought, while many of us acknowledge embroidered iconography as such a form, would it be appropriate for use on an iconostasis? (Think of the prospects for a poor mission to use such in its early years, before having the funds to construct a traditional one or the ease of transport for a priest riding the circuit between several small communities).

The ultimate question, I guess, is whether all iconography is suitable for this particular usage?

(Don't be surprised if this thread moves to the Iconography sub-forum tonight. I'm starting to think that's the best venue for it.)

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Etnick Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought about putting it in the icon forum, but I thought it would get more exposure here.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Etnick
I thought about putting it in the icon forum, but I thought it would get more exposure here.

hmm, got to think about that possibility

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.