The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
Glory to Jesus Christ,

I am pleased to pass along news that all the parishes of the Pittsburgh Archeparchy will be distributing info regarding the so-called "Freedom of Choice Act" (FOCA) which will be proposed in Congress in whole or in pieces.

The only freedom of choice that it proposes is for the aborter. It deprives freedom of choice to those opposed to abortion in the pharmaceutical, health care, and social service fields, as well as each state or territory. Abortion will become an "entitlement" and a normal part of taxpayer supported "healthcare." More info is available at http://www.nchla.org/issues.asp?ID=50 and http://usccb.org/prolife/issues/FOCA/
The handout at each parish includes a postcard for each citizen's two US Senators and Representative encouraging them to oppose this legislation. Many parishes will see this distibution this weekend.

PLEASE respond by accepting, signing, and mailing the postcards. If we fail to do so we will become responsible for the butchered unborn lives, similar to the German people who failed to oppose the Nazi's annihilation of the Jews, handicapped and Romani.

Thanks for your response.
Fr Deacon Paul

Are these cards being sent to the parishes this week? Should I approach our priest to see if he got them?

We did this about two months ago. We've not heard anything since.

Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by carson daniel lauffer
We did this about two months ago. We've not heard anything since.

which tends to show its effectiveness . . .

Do you recommend a palace coup instead?

Grateful
Grateful
No, I meant that FOCA has been foiled, so far, by pro-active Catholics. Many Catholics across the U.S. sent in their cards and otherwise contacted their members of Congress, protesting FOCA at the beginning of the year. And, so far, FOCA has not been introduced as a bill in the current Congress. It had been introduced in previous Congreses, and this time there was a a real chance it could have been passed into law. So the failure of FOCA so far in this Congress is likely a result of American Catholics voicing their opposition to it.

Originally Posted by harmon3110
So the failure of FOCA so far in this Congress is likely a result of American Catholics voicing their opposition to it.
Mr Obama is not finished yet. frown

Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by stivvy
Are these cards being sent to the parishes this week? Should I approach our priest to see if he got them?

Stivvy,
I asked that the pastor have someone pass them out at each exit after Liturgy; it would be great if you volunteer.

Fr Deacon Paul

Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by harmon3110
No, I meant that FOCA has been foiled, so far, by pro-active Catholics. Many Catholics across the U.S. sent in their cards and otherwise contacted their members of Congress, protesting FOCA at the beginning of the year. And, so far, FOCA has not been introduced as a bill in the current Congress. It had been introduced in previous Congreses, and this time there was a a real chance it could have been passed into law. So the failure of FOCA so far in this Congress is likely a result of American Catholics voicing their opposition to it.

I think the overconfidence of the pro-aborts was very significant; the protest of those who respect life epitomized that we aren't ready to roll over and play dead. The pro-abortion Congressmen will recognize this and will try to sneak it through appropriation bills, the budget objectives, seemingly beneficial legislation and whatever tools they have. It will be proposed piecemeal; the publicity will be kept to a minimum but the harm will be just as destructive.

Our postcard campaign is running about two months later than the initial surge....but this is a good thing because it shows a sustained effort....reinforcing that its a permanent issue for us.

Congressmen have said that they don't attached a lot of significance to an orchestrated mass effort, but if the citizen writes a personal note then it is treated as a personal letter and gets more exposure. For example, a handwritten PS which says something like "PLEASE oppose FOCA; its extremely important to me."

By the way, you don't have to be a registered voter; each American citizen has a constitutional right to petition.

Fr Deacon Paul

This may be of help, or encouragement...

WND Exclusive MATTERS OF LIFE AND DEATH
1 million red envelopes deluge White House
'This is a message to a man that God hears the cry of innocent blood'
Posted: March 30, 2009
2:52 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

Over one million, empty, red envelopes have poured into the White House mail room, symbolizing the empty promise of lives snuffed out in abortion; and with Red Envelope Day planned for tomorrow, coordinators estimate that number could more than double.

The Red Envelope Project is an idea sparked in the mind and prayers of a Massachusetts man, Christ Otto, who envisioned in January thousands of red envelopes sent to the White House, a visual expression of moral outrage over the president's position on abortion.

On the backs of the envelopes, senders write a message Otto composed: "This envelope represents one child who died in abortion. It is empty because that life was unable to offer anything to the world. Responsibility begins with conception."

"We are trying to change the president's heart," Otto writes on a website explaining the project. "This is a message to a man that God hears the cry of innocent blood. It is not a political stunt, although I hope it changes policy in Washington
. If the capital is flooded with so many letters that no one can deny it, I am hoping the image will be burned into Barack Obama's mind that this is about human blood, and that he lies awake at night until he cannot resist doing something about it."

The original project began small, but when Otto sent out an email to friends asking them to join him in the envelope effort, the symbolic gesture spread through the Internet like wildfire.

"I sent an email to 120 people who pray for me daily, and asked them if they wouldn't mind sending a red envelope, and if they thought it was a good idea, forwarding it on to their friends," Otto told WND. "About a week and half later, a friend told me to Google it, and I found about 30 blogs dedicated to the red envelopes."

Otto told WND a few days later, he began receiving contacts from national pro-life organizations and churches that had taken up the cause.

By February, Otto learned of a Texas man named Brian Potter, who set March 31 as Red Envelope Day, a date when supporters would drop hundreds of thousands of the envelopes in the mail, presumably being delivered to the White House near the beginning of Holy Week, just prior to the start of Passover.

Potter's Red Envelope Day website has also partnered with AmazingCauses.com to enable supporters to send the red envelopes online in one easy and coordinated effort, so that, in Potter's words, "they will send out a truckload of envelopes to the White House."

Visitors to Otto's site have testified to over 1.1 million envelopes sent so far; Potter's website records more than 125,000 envelopes waiting to be sent on March 31; and Otto told WND churches around the country are piling up envelopes, thousands at a time, preparing to mail an estimated quarter of a million tomorrow.

The Catholic News Agency reports that a consortium of 11 different student groups at the University of Notre Dame, in protest of the university's invitation of Barack Obama to speak at graduation, plan to hand deliver a surge of the red envelopes to the pro-abortion president when he arrives to give the commencement address in May.

Christ Otto

Otto told WND the message on the backs of the envelopes was crafted in response to a previous Obama speech, his inaugural address.

"The president spoke for a long time about creating a culture of responsibility, and part of creating a culture of responsibility was not taking the lives of the innocent. He actually said that in his inaugural address," Otto said. "That was why I added the line, 'Responsibility begins with conception.'"

Otto's FAQ page about the project also explains why the color red was chosen:

"The envelopes represent the innocent blood shed through abortion, and the plea for the blood of Jesus over the sin of our nation," writes Otto. "This campaign is a symbolic act to flood the mail with red. The more we send, the more powerful this symbol will be."

Otto told WND he thought a few thousand red envelopes would simply be a statement, showing that there are still people who care about the abortion issue deeply. As more and more people have joined him, however, Otto says the red envelopes are having an effect.

"Do I think it will change the President? I don't know," Otto writes on his website. "Last week I received an unsolicited call from a senator's office. They thought that I was in Washington, and that I must have a huge PAC. This gave me indication that someone on Capitol Hill knows about these envelopes. So, I guess it is making a difference."

Otto told WND, "As I've watched this grow, it's become clearer and clearer to me that the thing I'd like people to see is that they can make a difference in whatever they do. The message of my life is to listen to God and do what he tells you. And if you listen to God and do what he tells you and live a live of prayer and obedience, you can make a difference.

"I know this has empowered many people who felt powerless before this came along," Otto continued. "I know that there are thousands of people involved – there are a quarter of a million on Facebook alone – and if people can see that they still have a voice, to me, that means it's a success."

Details on how to participate, including specific instructions to ensure envelopes aren't sent to the dead letter bin, are available at RedEnvelopeDay.com and The Red Envelope Project website.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=93404

Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
Pani Rose,

Thanks for sharing. God works in mysterious ways.

Fr Deacon Paul,

Did you see the outcome of the red envelope campaign, it's numbers?
Why not an anti-foca campaign of sorts.

White House confirms it got 2 million red envelopes

The White House mail office has confirmed it received a "deluge" of as many as 2.25 million red envelopes symbolizing the empty promise of lives snuffed out in abortion in a massive campaign that was larger than most White House mailing
movements in the last 35 years.

White House mail worker "Steve" has handled letters for 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. for more than three decades. Every single package and letter destined for the White House goes through his office.

Asked if he has seen a flood of red envelopes bound for the White House, Steve chuckled.

"Uh, yes," he said emphatically. "Believe me, they made it here."

Steve said while Obama has been occupied in Europe, his administration has noticed millions of red envelopes on behalf of aborted children.

"Quite frankly, there was definitely a deluge of mail coming through," he laughed. "I had to handle them all."

"I've been here 35 years, so I've seen presidents come and go," Steve told WND. "This campaign ranks up there with the big ones."

The Red Envelope Project is an idea sparked in the mind and prayers of a Massachusetts man, Christ Otto, who envisioned in January thousands of red envelopes sent to the White House, a visual expression of moral outrage over the president's position on abortion...
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=94142

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.