The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
www.cnsnews.com/public/checker.aspx?rsrcID=46667 [cnsnews.com]

Georgetown University says it covered over the monogram “IHS”--symbolizing the name of Jesus Christ—because it was inscribed on a pediment on the stage where President Obama spoke at the university on Tuesday and the White House had asked Georgetown to cover up all signs and symbols there.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the “IHS” monogram that had previously adorned the stage at Georgetown’s Gaston Hall was still covered up--when the pediment where it had appeared was photographed by CNSNews.com.

“In coordinating the logistical arrangements for yesterday’s event, Georgetown honored the White House staff’s request to cover all of the Georgetown University signage and symbols behind Gaston Hall stage,” Julie Green Bataille, associate vice president for communications at Georgetown, told CNSNews.com.

“The White House wanted a simple backdrop of flags and pipe and drape for the speech, consistent with what they’ve done for other policy speeches,” she added. “Frankly, the pipe and drape wasn’t high enough by itself to fully cover the IHS and cross above the GU seal and it seemed most respectful to have them covered so as not to be seen out of context.”

On Wednesday, CNSNews.com inspected the pediment embedded in the wall at the back of the stage in Gaston Hall, where Obama delivered his speech. The letters “IHS” were not to be found. They appeared to be shrouded with a triangle of black-painted plywood.

Pictures of the wooden pediment prior to Obama’s speech show the letters “IHS" in gold. Many photos posted on the Internet of other events at Gaston Hall show the letters clearly.

The White House did not respond to a request from CNSNews.com to comment on the covering up of Jesus’ name at Gaston Hall.

Georgetown, which is run by the Jesuit order, is one of the most prestigious Catholic institutions of higher education in the United States.

Roman Catholics traditionally use “IHS” as an abbreviation for Jesus’ name. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, “St. Ignatius of Loyola adopted the monogram in his seal as general of the Society of Jesus (1541) and thus became the emblem of his institute.” The Society of Jesus is the formal name for the Jesuits.

Although the monogram was covered over on the wooden pediment at the back of the Gaston Hall stage where it would have been directly above and behind President Obama as he spoke, the letters “IHS” are posted elsewhere around the hall approximately 26 times on shields representing different parts of the United States and the world.

Obama did not mention the name of Jesus during his address. However, he did mention Christ’s Sermon on the Mount.

“There is a parable at the end of the Sermon on the Mount that tells a story of two men…‘the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house…it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock,’” Obama said.

“We cannot rebuild this economy on the same pile of sand,” he added. “We must build our house upon a rock.”

A
A
Whatever happened to the Society of JESUS?

It seems by such an action to have become apostate!
Stephanos I

“We must build our house upon a rock.”

Certainly Mr Obama, on a foundation of faith and truth and respect for humal life! ... I am so sick of him already

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=46667

Georgetown University says it covered over the monogram “IHS”--symbolizing the name of Jesus Christ—because it was inscribed on a pediment on the stage where President Obama spoke at the university on Tuesday and the White House had asked Georgetown to cover up all signs and symbols there.

See website for pictures...

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Originally Posted by Stephanos I
It seems by such an action to have become apostate!
Stephanos I

I did my diaconal formation with the RC Archdiocese of Philadelphia since my Eparchy (Passaic) did not have its own program at the time. The director of the formation program once got up and addressed us as a group saying "I am now going to read to you from a poem written by Gerard Manley Hopkins, a man who was a Jesuit AND a Catholic". We can see by the lack of Catholic identity at most Jesuit educational institutions that what was said of Hopkins has, in our time, become an exception rather than a rule.

Dn. Robert

C
C
Originally Posted by Deacon Robert Behrens
We can see by the lack of Catholic identity at most Jesuit educational institutions that what was said of Hopkins has, in our time, become an exception rather than a rule.

Deacon Bob reminds me of a venerable parable:

A man once wanted a Mercedes very, very badly. Alas, he did not have enough money. He thought that the best way of getting an expensive automobile was to have a novena prayed for this intention.

He approached an old Benedictine monk. "Father, can you pray a novena that I can get a Mercedes?" The monk was puzzled and replied "What's a Mercedes?" The man explained, and the Benedictine said he could not pray for such a thing.

Undeterred, the man went to a Franciscan friar and asked the same question: "Father, can you pray a novena that I can get a Mercedes?" The good friar looked confused and replied "What's a Mercedes?" The man explained, and the Franciscan said he could not pray for this.

Finally, the man went to a Jesuit. "Father, can you pray a novena that I can get a Mercedes?" The Jesuit looked as puzzled as the others and replied, "What's a novena?"

My apologies to any and all Jesuits. smile

Dave

And Jesus said

Matthew 10:
Everyone who acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father.
But whoever denies me before others, I will deny before my heavenly Father.

Again in Luke 12:
I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge before the angels of God.
But whoever denies me before others will be denied before the angels of God.
http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/

He also says in those same verses that I have come to divide. Lord have mercy on us all!

I
I
It may not necessarily be an Obama thing.What was the reason given by the White House for the request, and is it standard for all presidents speaking in any institution? However, Georgetown did definitely made a choice that doesn't reflect well on them.

I think that Georgetown made a choice as well. Can't anybody stand up to this administration?

It is the duty of the local bishop to do this.
He might not have jurisdiction over the internal affairs of the Jesuits but he certainly does over external matters.
Plus he could refuse to have Jesuits in his territory, thus necessitating the closure of their institutions.
Stephanos I

Originally Posted by indigo
It may not necessarily be an Obama thing.What was the reason given by the White House for the request, and is it standard for all presidents speaking in any institution? However, Georgetown did definitely made a choice that doesn't reflect well on them.

Please provide a story that shows evidence of another whitehouse that requests ALL faith symbols covered. I understand the backdrop thing, but other symbols in the building that are symbols of faith? Come on...

Reminds me of a vampire thing..."Cover all the crosses, because I cannot survive staring at one, I may melt!"

J
J
The office of the President of the United States of America should not be seen endorsing one religion in particular. The president is a Christian, but he goes to great lengths not to endorse one denomination of the faith over others. I doubt that he is anti-Catholic, and I also doubt that his staff is anti-Catholic. It should be noted that not only religious, but also corporate and many other types of logos are routinely removed from the podium when the president is speaking. How many of you would appreciate JW or Mormon symbols being displayed on a podium when the president speaks ? The answer of course is none of you. Other politicians act similarly. Mitt Romney does EVERYTHING possible not to be seen promoting the Mormon Faith because the American electorate does not want a president who would be promoting his faith over that others.

I.F.

It's difficult to know the intent or how much thought was put into it. The immediate request could have originated from a team of minders who were staging up the speech. What was the speech about?

Terry

Not about promoting the faith. If he doesn't want to be associated with his surrounding that he puts himself into then don't speak at them. Why speak in a building that is adorned with a faith expression in mind and try and hide it's adornment?

That goes for anyone, but Obahma goes the extra steps. In Europe, he made it a point to point out the Muslim (mis)faith and even went out of his way to praise his upbringing in it.

He is no more Christian than my dog is, IMHO. His actions prove that. Backing and promoting baby killing, showing shame for faith symbols, luke warm to if not cold to, if not blaintently out to destroy all that the Catholic church stands for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.