The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 406 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
I have just ordered a used copy of this book from Amazon. It is the paperback, which is the one I could afford. I know this is biting off a big chunk for a new Orthodox to chew, but I'm very interested in this book. I've been reading for several years on Orthodoxy and hopefully, that will have prepared me at least a little bit.
I'm wondering if it is anything like Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross.
Thanks for listening,
abby

Awesome book. It was the first book I read when I was introduced to the East. A monk told me that it was too deep for an introduction--but I loved it! I still refer to it often.

A
OP Offline
A
Thank you so very much, Recluse. I'm really looking forward to getting it and starting. Thanks for your kind encouragement.
abby
<*)))><

T
T
A good book. It is of course geared to the monastic lifestyle but it can inspire us all to reach for spiritual heights we never thought we should reach for. There are many good books about the ladder that help teach us to apply the steps to a normal life.

A
OP Offline
A
Theologos ... would you mind giving me the name(s) of one or two? Many thanks ....
abby
<*)))><

My suggestion is to get a copy of the Icon, The Ladder of Divine Ascent, which depicts the thirty rungs on the Ladder. I use the Icon to see that it its possible to fall even as a Soul comes near our Lord. I use it with the book by St. John Climacus, also known as St. John of the Ladder.

My first book on my journey to the East was, The Way of the Pilgrim, which led of course, to the Philokalia. This book I acquired at the Icon and Book Service, Quincy St., N.E., Washington, D.C.

abby:

Christ is in our midst!!

If you search through the forum, you may find a Lenten division of this book posted for the use of the members here. It's divided for a systematic reading over time.

BOB

F
F
Originally Posted by amberpep
I have just ordered a used copy of this book from Amazon. It is the paperback, which is the one I could afford. I know this is biting off a big chunk for a new Orthodox to chew, but I'm very interested in this book. I've been reading for several years on Orthodoxy and hopefully, that will have prepared me at least a little bit.

Just one warning about this book: One of the stories is about Akakios, and it is supposed to reflect obedience for a monk. However, in this particular story, we see Akakios' superior beating him to death, and all St. John does is encourage the monk to greater obedience. I realize that he is a saint, and I know I am not, but I would have told Akakios to get out of town, and I would go further, and talk to the bishop of the superior, telling him that this monk should not have any disciples, as he is abusive. I know of one monk that this almost happened to, and he has told me that the best thing he did in those years was to pack up and leave!

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.