The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (San Nicolas, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,747
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
ajk #320241 04/28/09 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by ajk
Wrong about the "near and dear" -- I have, however, become determined that this subject not be misrepresented (on this forum at least) as it has been in the past, and that rather blatantly.

Whatever. Seems a bit obssessed to me. whistle

Originally Posted by ajk
Just winking speculation and as I understand it, something that would not be a problem.

Okie doke!

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Recluse
Originally Posted by ajk
Wrong about the "near and dear" -- I have, however, become determined that this subject not be misrepresented (on this forum at least) as it has been in the past, and that rather blatantly.

Whatever. Seems a bit obssessed to me. whistle
My word was "determined," but better to be obsessed with accurate data and an open mind than otherwise. To allow the kind of irresponsible misinformation as put forth on this calendar/Pascha topic to simply propagate unchecked (as seems to happen) would be itself a fault. I invite (as I have before) you and others to read the several threads link including the whole of this one, appraise how they started and developed, and then to fairly weigh the arguments.

John
John
Father Serge is correct that there are those Christians who are not about to change the Paschalia. It's not about following the recommendations of Nicea since the East does not follow them. It's not about theology since Nicea offered recommendations and in no way raised the Julian Calendar to infallibility. It's not about sound science since one can look up and see the moon and its phase during Holy Week. It's all about emotions and people discard common sense as they cling to emotion. We see emotion so strong that some would even restrict the Lord from the miracle of the Holy Fire!

Perhaps some future generations will be able to do what Nicea accomplished. Nicea used the reigning civil calendar of the day to unite Christians on the celebration of the Resurrection. Let us pray for future unity and common witness, keep the emotions in check and stop restricting power of the Lord.

ajk #320244 04/28/09 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by ajk
My word was "determined," but better to be obsessed with accurate data and an open mind than otherwise.

Lol! As opposed to determined or obesessed with inaccurate data and a closed mind.

Originally Posted by ajk
I invite (as I have before) you and others to read the several threads...

I have read your arguments and reviewed your data...and guess what? I would never leave the Julian calendar in reference to Pascha. It fits Orthodoxy like a comfortable shoe. It is the Tradition that we know. And most of us will not be swayed toward the new calendar. If you think that is closed minded---so be it---you are just another voice in cyberspace in favor of the Gregorian calendar, spewing forth science and fact...and you are welcome to follow it.

Peace

Originally Posted by Administrator
We see emotion so strong that some would even restrict the Lord from the miracle of the Holy Fire!

Is it true that the miracle of the Holy Fire will only ocurr on Holy and Great Saturday according to the Julian calendar?

L
L
Recluse,

Not that I care to press the issue here, but some of us have our doubts about the "miracle of the Holy Fire" in the first place. But as I understand it, it only occurs on the Julian Calendar.

Alexis

John
John
Originally Posted by Recluse
Originally Posted by Administrator
We see emotion so strong that some would even restrict the Lord from the miracle of the Holy Fire!

Is it true that the miracle of the Holy Fire will only ocurr on Holy and Great Saturday according to the Julian calendar?
No, that is not true. The miracle of the Holy Fire can occur at the moment at which the Church celebrates the Resurrection. To say it cannot happen should the Church adjust her calendar is to say the Lord is restricted by a man-made calendar. That is very poor theology indeed!

But your posts here have been uncharitable. You come across as a lamp warning people away from any Church that uses the Julian Calendar. The Julian Calendar should be an "oh, by the way we use the Julian Calendar". The way you speak one would think that the Julian Calendar is supreme to Christ in your thought and the Holy Tradition of your Church.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.