The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
A few weeks ago, in reply to a thread, begun by Elizabeth/babochka, on the topic of reviving a parish, I wrote in some detail about the value of parish websites and ways to improve or implement them, finishing with:

Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
I've given thought several times to starting an ongoing thread in which I'd highlight some of the websites that I encounter which are particularly informative, resourceful, and/or attractive. After this discussion, I just might do that.

My friend and brother, John, picked up on my musing and encouraged me to pursue the idea, suggesting that it was needed and would be interesting. So, we'll try it.

I'll try to post a link to one each few days, chosen from those I encounter in the process of creating the Directory entries. I'll also include noteworthy EO/OO parish websites that I find along the way - happens all the time when I'm trying to track down an EC parish site and I encounter that of the identically-named EO parish diagonally across the street - both funny biggrin and sad cry: at the same time.

That I find a website to be as I've described doesn't mean that everyone will agree. Feel free to comment on them (charitably and constructively, please).

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
First up,

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Byzantine Church [olphnm.org] in Alburquerque, NM.

Father Chris Zugger graciously contacted me a few days ago to provide updated info about the Schedule of Divine Services for the parish entry in our Directory.

When I revisited the website for the first time in a while, I was reminded how nicely it is done and the impressive array of resources available on it.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Grateful
Grateful
First up,

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Byzantine Church [olphnm.org] in Alburquerque, NM.

Father Chris Zugger graciously contacted me a few days ago to provide updated info about the Schedule of Divine Services for the parish entry in our Directory.

When I revisited the website for the first time in a while, I was reminded how nicely it is done and the impressive array of resources available on it.

Many years,

Neil

Beautiful ! A very good first choice, Neil ! smile

-- John

O
O
I particularly like the way their Gallery is set up - you don't get overwhelmed by lots of photos - and you can look at them carefully

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
I had no intention of posting another site so soon, but I was looking to update/correct some information regarding St Melany the Younger Byzantine Church [byzantinetucson.com] in Tucson, AZ

In doing so, I discovered that the parish's website has been significantly updated since I visited it last and what I found compelled me to post the link.

The resources there - from personal testimonies of persons who found their Christianity in the East (including our own Pani Rose) through articles, music, videos, audio links (Ancient Faith Radio), and more - are incredible!

I love the Google Calendar - first time I've seen anyone use that on a parish site.

Their entry in our Directory

Many years,

Neil

B
B
Thanks for starting this! I've been hoping you would follow up on doing this, and have been keeping an eye out.

Elizabeth

L
L
Wonderful idea. I totally agree about the value of web sites. There's much opportunity for evangelization and catechesis on them and for just plain outreach.

I was checking this site yesterday to see what is coming up that I might attend and noticed they recently added a link to a very interesting New Yorker article and audio clip about "Russian bells that have been ringing at Harvard since the nineteen-thirties, and were recently returned to their original home at the Danilov monastery". There are good audio clips of their choir's CD, which led me to purchase it. http://www.stnicholasmarin.org/# I just noticed they also have a little audio clip "Listen to our bells" on their "Read more about who we are" link http://www.stnicholasmarin.org/history.html

Several months ago I visited this parish when I was attending a weekend conference near by. I decided to go there as opposed to other options, based on what I could find on line. http://www.slocc.com/index.html

off topic: Even though it is a large parish one of the parishioners, I think a presbytera, came up to welcome me after Divine Liturgy, recognizing me as a visitor, and gave me a bag already prepared for guests, which contained a coffee mug with their logo on it, some trifolds and a larger brochure about about Orthodoxy, and a coupon for a free cup of coffee.

My own RC home parish website is a real snoozer but they do keep it "up to date" at least which is definitely important.

Last edited by Mlouise; 05/01/09 05:27 AM.
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
St John the Baptist Russian Orthodox Church (ACROD) [stjrussianorthodox.com] in Rahway, NJ has a website well worth looking at for the great collection of links available on it. Additionally, the incredible photo array gives one a very clear picture of a vibrant parish community.

Many years,

Neil

O
O
Very nice Site indeed

Easy to navigate , very clean unfussy looking and up to date smile

Grateful
Grateful
I had no intention of posting another site so soon, but I was looking to update/correct some information regarding St Melany the Younger Byzantine Church [byzantinetucson.com] in Tucson, AZ

In doing so, I discovered that the parish's website has been significantly updated since I visited it last and what I found compelled me to post the link.

The resources there - from personal testimonies of persons who found their Christianity in the East (including our own Pani Rose) through articles, music, videos, audio links (Ancient Faith Radio), and more - are incredible!

I love the Google Calendar - first time I've seen anyone use that on a parish site.

Their entry in our Directory

Many years,

Neil

Thank you for posting that, Neil !

-- John

Try looking at our parish website, it's Latin but can give you some ideas.
Stephanos I

www.stvincentferrer.org [stvincentferrer.org]

Last edited by Stephanos I; 05/18/09 03:35 PM.
What do you think about this one:

https://www.byzcath.org/fortpierce

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Ray S.
What do you think about this one:

https://www.byzcath.org/fortpierce

This is a nice, professional looking site.

Some pros:
Map to church
Name of pastor and contact info
welcoming
many others

But, some cons:
no photo identifying the pastor
"current" bulletin is 22 FEB 2009
lack of establishing primary identity

I should explain the cons -- and let me repeat I think this is a very nice site.

The internet is a very visual, image oriented medium. I think seeing the people, their image, enhances the message giving a personal touch.

Better to have "current bulletin not available" than an old one.

Primary ecclesiology: The front page properly relates us to the Romans,
We are a Catholic Church in full communion with the Pope of Rome His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. We are in full communion with the Most Reverend Gerald M. Barbarito, Bishop of the Diocese of Palm Beach Florida. If you are a Roman Catholic attending our Church fulfills your Sunday obligation for Mass.

This is ok, but by itself it is part of our problem -- we present ourselves as not having an inherent, current identity as a church apart from them, the Roman church.

The Latin bishop is named; we have our own bishop who is not mentioned. We are an Eparchy of our Metropolitan church -- not mentioned.

Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by Stephanos I
Stephanos I

Father, bless !

I think your parish's website is well designed and easy to navigate. Thank you for sharing it.

-- John

Originally Posted by harmon3110
Originally Posted by Stephanos I
Stephanos I

Father, bless !

I think your parish's website is well designed and easy to navigate. Thank you for sharing it.

-- John

I agree!!

Dear Father Stephanos,

What a beautiful, classic church you serve at!!

(...and was that you I spied in a photo--Father Stephen?!?) smile

Asking for your blessing,
Alice

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.